Lazy summer. Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jammin357

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past summer, I have basically done nothing but fill out secondaries. The rest of the time has been spent just hanging out with friends and going to the lake. I usually have a job in the summer, but I this year I earned money from mowing the lawn and doing other various yard work activities at my house.

Maybe SDN is just turning me into an anxious neurotic nutcase, but will this be a negative during my interviews? IF they ask what I had done over the summer, would not having a job or doing anything productive be detrimental?

I hate being so worrisome.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably go ahead and withdraw all your applications to US allo schools. They don't take kindly to such a weak summer. The Caribbean schools, on the other hand, seem to be more forgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably go ahead an withdraw all your applications to US allo schools. They don't take kindly to such a weak summer. The Caribbean schools, on the other hand, seem to be more forgiving.

I hear even some of the Caribbean schools are really tightening up on their summer requirements. I think the ideal job for you would to be a congressman, they just sit around and do nothing all summer. Also they get to fill out alot of forms nobody is ever going to read.

Seriously, relax. Do you think everyone else is curing cancer this summer?

It certainly won't help you, but by no means does it destroy your application. There is no need to worry.

Whatever you do, however, do not lie about it, as that will definitely hurt your chances if you are caught!

Yup. Those sarcastic posts mean I'm just being too neurotic. Good sign.

Welp, back to the bar! YAY!

Um...want to trade lives? I'm doing secondaries, taking summer classes like there is no tomorrow, and working on the weekends. I'm looking forward to when I can do nothing in a few weeks! I would say "enjoy it while you can" :luck:

I've been working 40 hours/wk while doing secondaries... but it still feels WAY more like I've been doing nothing than doing pre-med felt.

I wouldn't worry about it man. If I were an ADCOM member, I would want a student who thought to take some time off and unwind before med school... once you start, there isn't going to be time to truly unwind for QUITE SOME TIME!

Chillax man.

This past summer, I have basically done nothing but fill out secondaries. The rest of the time has been spent just hanging out with friends and going to the lake. I usually have a job in the summer, but I this year I earned money from mowing the lawn and doing other various yard work activities at my house.

Maybe SDN is just turning me into an anxious neurotic nutcase, but will this be a negative during my interviews? IF they ask what I had done over the summer, would not having a job or doing anything productive be detrimental?

I don't recall being asked a single time during the admissions process (secondary's, interviews, etc.) about what I was doing during the summer I applied. It's a non-issue. Barring major changes, or application is essentially complete after second semester junior year if you're applying to go straight through.

Seriously, relax. Do you think everyone else is curing cancer this summer?

Actually, just FYI, I already took care of that last fall. On to world hunger and whatnot...

OP, you sound like a man with his priorities straight. Wish I was more like you.

It's probably normal to worry about things like that...but I wouldn't, though. A summer here or there won't make or break your app.

No worries, you're fine :)