LDL, HDL, apoproteins and lipid/cholesterol metabolism?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting so overwhelmed by this aspect of biochemistry. I *think* I understood the various pathways at one point, but now I find myself lost in the minutia and forgeting the big picture. I've been using FA, med essentials and the kaplan dvd (the guy goes into really indepth explanations but I can't follow it for some reason). Does anyone have any suggestions about how to tackle this or any simple explanations? I was trying to find an online tutorial but was unsuccessful. Sorry for the stupid question - I know this is something we NEED to know, i don't know if the stress is getting to me or what but i'm just not synthesizing it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting so overwhelmed by this aspect of biochemistry. I *think* I understood the various pathways at one point, but now I find myself lost in the minutia and forgeting the big picture. I've been using FA, med essentials and the kaplan dvd (the guy goes into really indepth explanations but I can't follow it for some reason). Does anyone have any suggestions about how to tackle this or any simple explanations? I was trying to find an online tutorial but was unsuccessful. Sorry for the stupid question - I know this is something we NEED to know, i don't know if the stress is getting to me or what but i'm just not synthesizing it.

Tell us what you don't understand about the process that you don't understand and we'll (by we I mean I'll try to help as much as possible). The only advice I have is to break it down to it simplest form and build up from there. If I can help explain it you in these simple terms, then it will be a lot simpler to understand the minutiae later on -- just need someone to show you how the map works.

Hey, I, too, read it in First Aid and Med Essentials and honestly I think the best job I've ever seen in representing this in a semi-concise way that's really understandable and approachable is Lippincott's Biochemistry. The section on this IMO is fabulous. Hope that helps.
I think this chapter is also in abbreviated form if you have lippincott's pharm and you read the first 2 pages on drugs for hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia.

Rapid review Biochemistry also does a good job in explaining this!!! Thats where I learned it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay i'm going to try to figure out what is exactly my issue - i think i just don't have the general framework down and hence an inability to get all the little details together.

I have rapid review and was just reading the chapter on lipid synthesis - how overwhelming!!!!! I guess i'm having a hard time correlating the "clinical state" with the actual biochem. For our first year biochem, memorizing the pathways was sufficient to get by with but for the steps I feel like you need a much deeper understanding of what happens in various clinical circumstances.