Le Chatelier's principle in bology..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) If the partial pressure of O2 was increased to make up the total pressure of gas in blood which of the following would occur?

.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hb + O2<=> HbO2.

A. There would be a decrease in HbO2.

B. There would be an increase in HbO2.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. .The concentrations of Hb would equal HbO2.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. .No answer can be determined from the information given.

I put D. I thought Le Chats principle only applied to systems at equilibrium and nowhere in the question does it say it's at equilibrium so I thought you couldnt actually use Le Chat's principle.

Whats wrong with my thought process?

Members don't see this ad.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) If the partial pressure of O2 was increased to make up the total pressure of gas in blood which of the following would occur?

B. There would be an increase in HbO2.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. .The concentrations of Hb would equal HbO2.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. .No answer can be determined from the information given.

I put D. I thought Le Chats principle only applied to systems at equilibrium and nowhere in the question does it say it's at equilibrium so I thought you couldnt actually use Le Chat's principle.

I'm not good at chemistry yet, but I'd say that those are equilibrium arrows. I narrow it down to choices a and b because they are complete opposites. Choose b because it makes the most sense intuitively.

It's at equilibrium, they don't have to tell you since the double arrows are given. If you increase O2 concentration there is an increase of stress on the reactant side which then the equilibrium shifts to the right increasing HbO2 concentration.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow im an idiot. i completely looked at that wrong, when i copy/pasted that I did not realize it was equilibrium arrows, I thought it was a forward reaction only. Damn easy question got me. Dunno how I missed that one --__-