Leadership experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to join any school organizations. What type of volunteer work can I do that will give me leadership experience? (Preferably not with kids)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to join any school organizations. What type of volunteer work can I do that will give me leadership experience? (Preferably not with kids)

:laugh:

Anyways, a lot hospitals have "boards" for their volunteers, you could join one of those. Or become head tutor. That kind of stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I quit and return to school full-time to finish up my prereqs I'll have been supervising up to 50 people at a given time at work. I'm calling that my leadership experience.

I second your dislike for student organizations. I served as president for SGA at my CC and the experience was awful. We accomplished nothing, because our hands were completely tied and no one was willing to work. It was really just a social organization for the SG nerds.

That said, your only option may be to suck it up, get a treasurer position for some group, and complete this event in the goat rodeo that is Med school admissions. Bonus points if the group endorses diversity!

If you dont consider college students as kids, you can think about teaching. The Adcoms considered my Teaching and TA work as leadership...

If you dont consider college students as kids, you can think about teaching. The Adcoms considered my Teaching and TA work as leadership...

Well, cool, there's another feather in my cap. When I finished college I taught high school science to kids for two years, but I was just 21 at the time so I was still a kid myself. At 23 I quit and got into law enforcement and later a supervisor. I guess my leadership box is now checked. :D

Can working as a pharmacy tech/surgical tech/pending lab tech be considered leadership somehow?

Leadership is not essential. Don't do it just to check a box and frankly, I never give much wait to leadership positions in clubs. What really gets us excited is taking charge of a large group of your peers or taking responsibility for "stuff" including other people's money. Teaching/tutoring is, in my mind, a different box. I've seen people take team captain role on a sports team or in organizing a group of peers to accomplish a task or as a service role for a group (such as president of a frat).

Leadership is not essential. Don't do it just to check a box and frankly, I never give much wait to leadership positions in clubs. What really gets us excited is taking charge of a large group of your peers or taking responsibility for "stuff" including other people's money. Teaching/tutoring is, in my mind, a different box. I've seen people take team captain role on a sports team or in organizing a group of peers to accomplish a task or as a service role for a group (such as president of a frat).

That's kind of comforting considering half the people in these leadership positions hardly have any real leadership skill and I wouldn't follow them across a sidewalk.