Leadership Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasenClaisen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I wasn't an executive of any clubs during undergrad and I'm bit concerned that I won't be able to find a leadership position in the future.

For those who have already graduated, what did you do for leadership experience if it was unavailable in your job?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I wasn't an executive of any clubs during undergrad and I'm bit concerned that I won't be able to find a leadership position in the future.

For those who have already graduated, what did you do for leadership experience if it was unavailable in your job?

Thank you!

Volunteering tends to be a good opportunity to gain some leadership experience, especially with nonprofits that rely on volunteers for the bulk of the work.

i used my volunteer fire department, where i serve as an officer as well as provide input on several committees

Members don't see this ad :)
im a mentor at several organizations and it's wonderful. very fulfilling and a great way to make a difference. i was a teen parent so i currently work with several teen parents in high school and college. i also mentor at a woman's shelter in the city, assisting low-income women acquire skills necessary to achieve their academic and career ambitions.

working with children is also a great way to obtain leadership experience. programs like Big Brother, Big Sister or local after-school tutoring programs for needy kids are always looking for volunteers.

Thanks for the replies.

Does tutoring and mentoring youth count as leadership? LizzyM said that leadership involves leading peers.

Thanks for the replies.

Does tutoring and mentoring youth count as leadership? LizzyM said that leadership involves leading peers.

Being as you're a non-trad, use your work experience. Surely, you have much more significant leadership experiences now that you've worked for awhile than any pre-med is going to have.

Being as you're a non-trad, use your work experience. Surely, you have much more significant leadership experiences now that you've worked for awhile than any pre-med is going to have.

How do you define "leadership" in the sense of leadership as a EC? I work in Radiology as a Sonographer... do I have leadership?

Thanks for the replies.

I included my pre-school teaching days as leadership experience because I was a "group supervisor" over other teachers. While my intention was to talk about peer-peer leadership interactions, I think many interviewers took it as leadership experience working directly with the children and coordinating/directing. Might be relevant, might not.

I did not include my individual tutoring as leadership but I ran group tutoring sessions throughout my sophomore and junior years where I was leading 5-10 peers at a time.

You could probably swing mentoring either way. I did not include that as leadership but I could probably be convinced that it counts. I probably mis categorized 90% of my EC's but did a decent job explaining things and it worked out in half my interviews.