Leadership Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allday94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently met with my pre-med advisor who told me I need more leadership experience. As of now I have been a manager at a plasma center for 3+ years and am not planning on leaving anytime soon. The problem is that this experience also counts for my patient exposure. (I have other forms of patient exposure as well like ER volunteer, group home) I am working full-time and go to school full-time on top of all the volunteer stuff I'm really pressed for free time.

What ways besides clubs and tutoring have you been able to get involved in leadership experiences? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your management experience should definitely be enough! Dont stretch yourself more thin unnecessarily.

Agreed, you should have theoretically gained some leadership qualities being a manager for over three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
One experience can count for multiple things...what you have is leadership as well as clinical experience. It can be both.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, you should have theoretically gained some leadership qualities being a manager for over three years.

LOL right? I couldn't help but sit there opened mouthed when she said you're weakest point is your leadership because you only have ONE experience.... I thought it was all about quality of quantity? Yet the pre-med advisors seem to preach the opposite.

LOL right? I couldn't help but sit there opened mouthed when she said you're weakest point is your leadership because you only have ONE experience.... I thought it was all about quality of quantity? Yet the pre-med advisors seem to preach the opposite.

Let's put it this way - not all pre-med advisors (and academic advisors ) are created equally. I never bothered with them, just did my own research and forged ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
One experience can count for multiple things...what you have is leadership as well as clinical experience. It can be both.

I have heard from a few people that you can't "Double Dip" and to be a competitive applicant you most definitely cannot double dip. Is that just my schools preference? or is that pretty common?

I have heard from a few people that you can't "Double Dip" and to be a competitive applicant you most definitely cannot double dip. Is that just my schools preference? or is that pretty common?

Often pre-med advisors don't have personal experience with admissions and don't give the best advice. I've never heard of anyone saying that you can't "double dip" and it's not uncommon to see people who have clinical experience within a research position or a leadership role within a clinical experience. Admissions committee members read the descriptions you write for your work/activities entries. If you are describing a clinical experience and also describing a leadership role within that experience, the committee can see that you held a leadership role.

As has already been said, quality > quantity. You have 3 years of managerial experience, so you've demonstrated commitment and longevity, just need to talk about the role and what you gained from it.

I'll agree with the other peers here! quality is always >>>> quantity. I think how you present yourself to the adcoms is the most important. I think while speaking to your premed advisors, always keep in mind that they don't necessarily know everything, and probably never been in a pre-med's shoes. Always listen to their advice with a grain of salt. :) Best of luck!

I have a question about this as well. For me, I was involved with New York Cares, which I've been involved with for the past four years (although there were gaps in between). I recently became a team leader, which means I lead my own group of volunteers for various projects. This is actually the only substantial leadership position I have on my resume...Hope this count for something...?