Leadership Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I understand that president and vice-president are considered as the leadership positions in a club.

How do you think of secretary, treasurer, or historian?:)

Thank you for any comments in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you leading anybody? The answer is generally no, unless your job is different than the typical secretary, treasurer or whatever position.

Last edited:
I say yes. But I guess my involvement in such roles has played a more integral part in the organizations. But I find that that is the case in most student organizations. The executive board leads the organization together.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think of secretary, treasurer, or historian?:)
They are leadership positions if you can write a convincing explanation in the narrative of the Activities section describing the manner in which you led your peers.

I mean, you could be a secretary and lead people, or on the other hand you could be a president and not be leading people.... i.e. titles don't matter, your actual experiences are what count.

yea i would think they are. you still make decisions for the club, members can come to you for any questions, etc.

It totally depends upon what you'd actually be doing. The word 'historian' doesn't make you a leader (or any other word for that matter), but in doing leadershipy things. So if you tell them you were the treasurer, that's not too impressive. If in your job as treasurer you collected and managed dues for 80 students, organized a dance marathon, and coordinated a thousand dollar donation; that's impressive.

It's not the title, it's what you do. You can be 'low-goomba' and still get a ton of leadership or 'president' and have none.

You don't need to be president, you can hold other positions and have leadership experiences.