1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Leads for Summer Pharmacy work (FL)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Forrest Gump, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Running towards my future
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student at FSU and I'm hoping to get a part-time position at a pharmacy this summer to gain some experience. If anyone has any leads as to the best way to find opportunities, I'm all ears! I tried last summer and ran into a lot of road blocks. Everyone wanted to hire me (Target, Walmart, Walgreens) but I did not get any offers to work in their pharmacies. I'll be in summer school in Tallahassee, FL this summer so that's where I'm looking. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ageldred

ageldred Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Start looking now. I was at CVS last night and they're hiring. Corner of Apalachee and Capital Circle is where I saw the posting.

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I ran into this same problem when I first moved to Gainesville (I'll forgive you attending that "other" school). I applied to Walgreens, CVS, and Shands Hospital - with Shands being the number one choice. CVS & Walgreens got back to me right away with job offers... to be a cashier that is :confused: The positions in the pharmacy were already filled. Thus, they wanted me to work cashier - and when a spot opened up, I would get first dibbs. That may be the only way to get into the retail side of the house while living in a college town (granted Tallahassee has more to it than the university)

Despite being very slow in the process - Shands did get back to me; being hired nearly 2 months after I applied. Hospital pharmacies may be easier to get into - or you may simply want to apply to more pharmacies. Walmart, WinnDixie, Target, Costco, Sams, BJ's, Publix, Goodings, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons - Florida has a LOT of options for retail pharmacy.

If that still doesnt work - we have various web-order pharmacies here too - although I'm not sure if they operate out of Tallahassee - good luck and keep us posted on where you get work.

~above~

5. fsupharmguy

fsupharmguy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I know if you go to the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital then you can gain volunteer experience over the summer and possibly get hired. I would inquire ASAP because positions fill up quickly. Just contact the volunteer coordinator. Say you're a pharmacy student because they only allow pharmacy students to volunteer in that area.

6. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Running towards my future
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to start looking as soon as I return from Spring Break.

7. rxpharmtech

2+ Year Member

i worked at cvs (when it was eckerds) ... are lots of pharm interns from famu, esp in the summer... but i loved it and now i work for cvs in tampa =) GOOD LUCK!!

8. masterdix

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Try the CVS on Thomasville Rd.& Kerry Forrest pkwy. I worked there for a year and if you don't mind the drive its a good store to work at although its one of the busiest in the city.