SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Leads for Summer Pharmacy work (FL)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Forrest Gump, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Running towards my future 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hi,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student at FSU and I'm hoping to get a part-time position at a pharmacy this summer to gain some experience. If anyone has any leads as to the best way to find opportunities, I'm all ears! I tried last summer and ran into a lot of road blocks. Everyone wanted to hire me (Target, Walmart, Walgreens) but I did not get any offers to work in their pharmacies. I'll be in summer school in Tallahassee, FL this summer so that's where I'm looking. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ageldred

ageldred Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Start looking now. I was at CVS last night and they're hiring. Corner of Apalachee and Capital Circle is where I saw the posting.

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I ran into this same problem when I first moved to Gainesville (I'll forgive you attending that "other" school). I applied to Walgreens, CVS, and Shands Hospital - with Shands being the number one choice. CVS & Walgreens got back to me right away with job offers... to be a cashier that is :confused: The positions in the pharmacy were already filled. Thus, they wanted me to work cashier - and when a spot opened up, I would get first dibbs. That may be the only way to get into the retail side of the house while living in a college town (granted Tallahassee has more to it than the university)

Despite being very slow in the process - Shands did get back to me; being hired nearly 2 months after I applied. Hospital pharmacies may be easier to get into - or you may simply want to apply to more pharmacies. Walmart, WinnDixie, Target, Costco, Sams, BJ's, Publix, Goodings, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons - Florida has a LOT of options for retail pharmacy.

If that still doesnt work - we have various web-order pharmacies here too - although I'm not sure if they operate out of Tallahassee - good luck and keep us posted on where you get work.

~above~

5. fsupharmguy

fsupharmguy Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I know if you go to the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital then you can gain volunteer experience over the summer and possibly get hired. I would inquire ASAP because positions fill up quickly. Just contact the volunteer coordinator. Say you're a pharmacy student because they only allow pharmacy students to volunteer in that area.

6. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Running towards my future 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to start looking as soon as I return from Spring Break.

7. rxpharmtech

rxpharmtech 2+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    i worked at cvs (when it was eckerds) ... are lots of pharm interns from famu, esp in the summer... but i loved it and now i work for cvs in tampa =) GOOD LUCK!!

8. masterdix

masterdix 10+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Florida
    Try the CVS on Thomasville Rd.& Kerry Forrest pkwy. I worked there for a year and if you don't mind the drive its a good store to work at although its one of the busiest in the city.