Leads for Summer Pharmacy work (FL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Forrest Gump

Running towards my future
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student at FSU and I'm hoping to get a part-time position at a pharmacy this summer to gain some experience. If anyone has any leads as to the best way to find opportunities, I'm all ears! I tried last summer and ran into a lot of road blocks. Everyone wanted to hire me (Target, Walmart, Walgreens) but I did not get any offers to work in their pharmacies. I'll be in summer school in Tallahassee, FL this summer so that's where I'm looking. Thanks.
 
Hi,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student at FSU and I'm hoping to get a part-time position at a pharmacy this summer to gain some experience. If anyone has any leads as to the best way to find opportunities, I'm all ears! I tried last summer and ran into a lot of road blocks. Everyone wanted to hire me (Target, Walmart, Walgreens) but I did not get any offers to work in their pharmacies. I'll be in summer school in Tallahassee, FL this summer so that's where I'm looking. Thanks.

Start looking now. I was at CVS last night and they're hiring. Corner of Apalachee and Capital Circle is where I saw the posting.
 
Hi,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student at FSU and I'm hoping to get a part-time position at a pharmacy this summer to gain some experience. If anyone has any leads as to the best way to find opportunities, I'm all ears! I tried last summer and ran into a lot of road blocks. Everyone wanted to hire me (Target, Walmart, Walgreens) but I did not get any offers to work in their pharmacies. I'll be in summer school in Tallahassee, FL this summer so that's where I'm looking. Thanks.

I ran into this same problem when I first moved to Gainesville (I'll forgive you attending that "other" school). I applied to Walgreens, CVS, and Shands Hospital - with Shands being the number one choice. CVS & Walgreens got back to me right away with job offers... to be a cashier that is 😕 The positions in the pharmacy were already filled. Thus, they wanted me to work cashier - and when a spot opened up, I would get first dibbs. That may be the only way to get into the retail side of the house while living in a college town (granted Tallahassee has more to it than the university)

Despite being very slow in the process - Shands did get back to me; being hired nearly 2 months after I applied. Hospital pharmacies may be easier to get into - or you may simply want to apply to more pharmacies. Walmart, WinnDixie, Target, Costco, Sams, BJ's, Publix, Goodings, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons - Florida has a LOT of options for retail pharmacy.

If that still doesnt work - we have various web-order pharmacies here too - although I'm not sure if they operate out of Tallahassee - good luck and keep us posted on where you get work.

~above~
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know if you go to the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital then you can gain volunteer experience over the summer and possibly get hired. I would inquire ASAP because positions fill up quickly. Just contact the volunteer coordinator. Say you're a pharmacy student because they only allow pharmacy students to volunteer in that area.
 
Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to start looking as soon as I return from Spring Break.
 
i worked at cvs (when it was eckerds) ... are lots of pharm interns from famu, esp in the summer... but i loved it and now i work for cvs in tampa =) GOOD LUCK!!
 
Try the CVS on Thomasville Rd.& Kerry Forrest pkwy. I worked there for a year and if you don't mind the drive its a good store to work at although its one of the busiest in the city.