Learn about the credit crisis.

Started by NTF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NTF

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two great radio programs from "This American Life" that explains our current economic situation in layman's terms and with alot of humor.

5/9/2008 - "The Giant Pool of Money", explains how the mortgage meltdown happened
http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=355

10/3/08 - "Another Frightening Show about the Economy", explains the bailout and what scared the bejeebus out of Bernanke/Paulson & Co.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1263
 
I'm so glad other people are hearing these NPR stories. I heard that episode of "This American Life" last week-- it was such an excellent piece of journalism, which is so rare in America.
 
Agreed. Both were well-wrought explanations of a very complicated issue.

It's frustrating to me that so far, this is the only source I've found that has made a real effort to fully explain the crises to an intelligent, but not economically knowledgeable audience.

I can't imagine that many politicians really understood the forces at work in this crisis either, but it seems that with Paulson's statement that the U.S. govt will be buying preferred stock in these banks, at least they aren't making a total disaster of the bailout funds!