Learning Disability and Residency Application (Program director input welcome)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I disclose?

• Yes, it will be primarily beneficial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it will be primarily detrimental

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • It will not influence either way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It may be beneficial in some programs, and detrimental in other programs

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be apply for residency in the not too distant future. I was wondering if I should disclose my disability (processing delay) on my residency application? I think it explains some of the weaker points in my application (ok grades, it takes my a lot longer to read and learn than my peers) and I also think that it adds to my character, as I am impressed by how far I have come. I also have won some awards for persons with disabilities. However, IDK if residency programs will look at it favorably or not. I will say it did help me out in med school applications. Any insight would be welcome.

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got in, so take this with a grain of salt:

I have cared for and grown up with a couple of family members with varying levels of intellectual disability. I have a lot of experience advocating for them growing up and into adult hood, so I apologize if this seems misguided. If you disclosed, I would worry about it being used against you and your ability to go through residency (especially depending on how "rigorous" it is? I'm not sure about this). A big problem one of my siblings faces regularly is choosing when or when not to disclose because others develop a bias against you (especially in health care). People shouldn't but they do. On the other hand, disclosing could help others down the road by increasing visibility.

Things to consider would include what kind of residencies are you applying to (e.g. surgery, IM, etc.)? & something else that I know little about is whether you get any accommodations during residency for disabilities (e.g. longer testing times)? If so, it may benefit you to disclose, but if not I would advise against it and disclose at a later date if you still want to.

Only you can make the decision if it is worth it to you to disclose. Also, understand that by simply existing and pursuing medicine you are becoming a beacon of hope for someone else with a disability. However, you do not have to declare it all the time in order to be that beacon. Do what is best for you and helps you to meet your goals.

That being said, Congrats on making it this far and any residency that you match to will be lucky to have you.

Disclosing is a horrifically bad idea for your career and I absolutely wouldn't on your applications or in your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would never disclose that. For better or worse you are trying to prove to programs that you are an application who can complete a grueling academic program with an unrelenting pace.....you are not aided by pointing out a medical condition which makes it harder for you to keep up

one day, me and you will change this system, but till then it will make you a target of people who feel you dont belong despite what the law says. fact is, if properly medicated, you are as good as any other doctor. and i can testify to this because of so many fellow medical students and docs who have all types of disabilities and situations and still perform competively with the rest. we all hide our personal conditions, so it looks like you the only one,

i hope these words keeps your headup. please update me on the outcome of your situation.

one day, me and you will change this system, but till then it will make you a target of people who feel you dont belong despite what the law says. fact is, if properly medicated, you are as good as any other doctor. and i can testify to this because of so many fellow medical students and docs who have all types of disabilities and situations and still perform competively with the rest. we all hide our personal conditions, so it looks like you the only one,

i hope these words keeps your headup. please update me on the outcome of your situation.

That's great... I mean, I don't need medicine, but I get the point lol