Learning Spanish abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angietron3000

*black magic soul power*
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience studying Spanish abroad? I'm considering doing some sort of spanish immersion course over the summer before I start med school.. I think it'd be fun to be in Spain for a couple of weeks to a month but I'm not sure where to find a reputable program. I tried google but you never know what you're gonna get online, just hoping someone here had a good personal experience. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in Spain for a month this last summer and it was amazing. I went through a program called USAC (University Study Abroad Consortium) but I also know that NYU has a very extensive study abroad program (There are the "Study Abroad with NYU" posters all over my school). Those should get you started but if it is something you are thinking about definitely pursue it, you will not regret it at all.

Spain is expensive. You'll get the same thing in guatemala or thereabouts(Central America) for much cheaper. There are tons and tons of spanish schools down there.

Members don't see this ad :)
bobito said:
Spain is expensive. You'll get the same thing in guatemala or thereabouts(Central America) for much cheaper. There are tons and tons of spanish schools down there.

I agree. I'd go somewhere in South or Central America. Most larger cities or cities that attract tourists have language schools. Check out schools in Antigua, Guatemala. I would suggest searching and finding a school down there that you can contact and book directly because it will save you money over some US company reselling their services. Also, many language schools, at least the ones I know in Cusco, Peru, offer volunteer options in underserved schools, orphanages, or hospitals. Another nice perk.

drgoodlove said:
I agree. I'd go somewhere in South or Central America. Most larger cities or cities that attract tourists have language schools. Check out schools in Antigua, Guatemala. I would suggest searching and finding a school down there that you can contact and book directly because it will save you money over some US company reselling their services. Also, many language schools, at least the ones I know in Cusco, Peru, offer volunteer options in underserved schools, orphanages, or hospitals. Another nice perk.

Or (s)he could look into an actual medical program in mexico that not allows him/her to gain experience in the medical field, but will also present an opportunity to become immersed in the native language. I will search for the program on the web. Many people from Rice have done this program over the summer.
It is a cool program (so I hear).

hey angietron-

i'm looking into the same thing... there is a school (UAG) in Mexico that offers immersion/medical spanish. they will work with pre-meds and current med students for different lengths of time. i'd also love to hear what others have to say about these types of programs...seeing as most of the schools i've interviewed at look at me all funny when i ask if they offer medical spanish. is it really that uncommon? i guess i'm just bias coming from california.