Learning Spanish for Healthcare Providers

Started by Bellalynn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bellalynn

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Is there anyone out there who is practicing Spanish? I live in an area where knowledge of Spanish is needed to be competitive for many pharmacists positions. I speak Spanish well but am working to improve my language so that I would be confident calling myself fluent on a CV/resume. I didn't know if anyone else out there has used any programs that worked well for them.

And, if anyone is looking to practice speaking the language, please let me know. I currently have a private Spanish tutor but jump at all opportunities to practice. Thanks!
 
Hello! Is there anyone out there who is practicing Spanish? I live in an area where knowledge of Spanish is needed to be competitive for many pharmacists positions. I speak Spanish well but am working to improve my language so that I would be confident calling myself fluent on a CV/resume. I didn't know if anyone else out there has used any programs that worked well for them.

And, if anyone is looking to practice speaking the language, please let me know. I currently have a private Spanish tutor but jump at all opportunities to practice. Thanks!
My conversational Spanish was fine when I became a pharmacist, but my medical vocab was lousy. I got a lot better by listening to technicians translate as I counseled patients.
 
Hi Bellalyn,

It sounds like you are very motivated to improve your medical Spanish- your tutor will be the most help along with finding ways to practice speaking all the time. I have a couple other resources you may want to check out:

1. An online conversational medical Spanish course is starting in September. It is an hour, once a week, of a live lesson and conversation facilitated by our lead instructor, Rory. This is a perfect way for you to learn and practice Spanish with other medical students and professionals. There is a beginning and intermediate option- since you already speak Spanish well, I'd recommend the intermediate course so you can focus on Spanish as it pertains to your pharmacy setting. Learn more about the course here: https://commongroundinternational.c...s/intermediate-online-medical-spanish-course/

2. Check out the bookstore if you are looking for medical Spanish/English dictionaries, tools to carry with you, textbooks, etc.: https://commongroundinternational.com/product-category/books/medical/

3. Spanish immersion/study abroad! The best way to learn a language is through immersion- if you can find a way to immerse yourself in a Spanish-speaking community, especially in a pharmacy setting DO IT! Common Ground International offers Spanish immersion trips in Costa Rica for pharmacy students throughout the year which include living with a local host family, intensive Spanish classes, medical outreach, and even placement in a local pharmacy setting for PharmD students on rotation. Learn more here: https://commongroundinternational.com/spanish-immersion/medical-spanish-immersion/

¡Buena suerte!