Learning the slides and then watching lectures at faster speed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m having trouble relying on Anking for my school.

Anking doesn’t even have cards for at least 50% of what I’m expected to know for in-house exams.

For the past year I’ve been doing school lectures and unsuspending cards on Anking. I also make cards from school lectures because there’s just so much info not on Anking that I’m expected to know.

I know a lot of people say skim lectures before exams but I honestly don’t know how this is feasible. I would go going through 1000+ (or even more depending on block) slides and half the info would not be on Anking. I also can’t just read it once and memorize it, I need to make Anki cards for repetition. I would love to transition to BnB and Anking but not sure how I can do it. School lectures and making cards also take a lot of time but idk how else I can pass my school exams.
Any tips?

my school has the same problem depending on the block. I got together with a group of guys that all like to use Anki and we split up the lectures. So we just take a lecture and tag the anking relevant cards and make lecture specific cards. There are like 8 of us so it spreads the load out nicely. See if you can do this

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m having trouble relying on Anking for my school.

Anking doesn’t even have cards for at least 50% of what I’m expected to know for in-house exams.

For the past year I’ve been doing school lectures and unsuspending cards on Anking. I also make cards from school lectures because there’s just so much info not on Anking that I’m expected to know.

I know a lot of people say skim lectures before exams but I honestly don’t know how this is feasible. I would go going through 1000+ (or even more depending on block) slides and half the info would not be on Anking. I also can’t just read it once and memorize it, I need to make Anki cards for repetition. I would love to transition to BnB and Anking but not sure how I can do it. School lectures and making cards also take a lot of time but idk how else I can pass my school exams.
Any tips?
Yeah, all my block exams are in-house as well. You have to do what works for you. For me, during my first semester I made flashcards and it took way too much time to the point where I couldn't review it to the full extent. This semester, I don't make as much and it has been great. Here are some alternatives:

1. Does your class have a GroupMe Anki? Mine does and people will upload their cards so it is not the same person making cards for all in-house lectures
2. We also have hand me down premade cards from the previous class

You can use those to study/modify as needed.

I cycle through AnKing and the tailored cards. It take so much more time to get through the cards, but hey, at least I can thoroughly review. Finally, to clarify a statement I made earlier about skimming lectures; I don't skip the lectures the night before....instead it is multiple passes of skimming over the course of the block as another way to try to get the concepts to stick. Good luck!

Yeah, all my block exams are in-house as well. You have to do what works for you. For me, during my first semester I made flashcards and it took way too much time to the point where I couldn't review it to the full extent. This semester, I don't make as much and it has been great. Here are some alternatives:

1. Does your class have a GroupMe Anki? Mine does and people will upload their cards so it is not the same person making cards for all in-house lectures
2. We also have hand me down premade cards from the previous class

You can use those to study/modify as needed.

I cycle through AnKing and the tailored cards. It take so much more time to get through the cards, but hey, at least I can thoroughly review. Finally, to clarify a statement I made earlier about skimming lectures; I don't skip the lectures the night before....instead it is multiple passes of skimming over the course of the block as another way to try to get the concepts to stick. Good luck!
My school is pretty much divided into cliques unfortunately, with each having their own resources and sharing only with other groups they know well. Splitting the work does sound like a great idea, and it’s probably how my classmates are able to have time to go to the bars every other day. I’ll see what I can do.

I hate pre-made decks for anything beyond just memorizing bits of information. So, anything outside of most of pharm, microbiology, and the random bits here and there through different classes. Why make a card asking "____ virus causes hemolytic anemia" if it's already made.

95% of the cards I use in Anki are made by me. It asks basic concept questions, such as "what is the MOA of digoxin?" I'll put hints and try to make things as unambiguous as possible on the front of the card. I've found physiology and other concept-heavy topics are best learned by this method. It takes more time to get through the material and to do Anki throughout the day. But I believe it's worth it. AnKing is not worth it to try to learn/memorize multi-step processes.

If I miss a question in USMLE-Rx or Amboss that connects concepts, I'll make a card asking to connect said topics. It brought my grades up from low B's to A's. Answering in-class questions were easy for me. The only downside is the burnout is real. Towards the end of the block, I'll hate even thinking about Anki. Trying to improve this as I go. But it's the best thing for me right now to do well in classes.