Learning to refract: pre req for residency

Started by new-eye
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

new-eye

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting resiendency in Ophthal this June and the program, like many I've come accross recommend learning to refract prior to starting. Beyond time spent in a clinic, are there any good sources (books web sights) out there to learn how to refract? Thanks in advance.
 
Originally posted by new-eye
I am starting resiendency in Ophthal this June and the program, like many I've come accross recommend learning to refract prior to starting. Beyond time spent in a clinic, are there any good sources (books web sights) out there to learn how to refract? Thanks in advance.

The book I recommend in the ophthalmology FAQ written by the AAO for residents has good chapters on refraction and retinoscopy.

I recommend starting there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try asking a local OD to help you out. Hand's on is always a better way to understand, and then perhaps you can pick up some prescribing techniques at the same time. Granted you would then have to re-apply your mindset to a plus cyl phoropter, but I go back and forth btwn them all the time. The minus cyl controls accomodation better so it is good to have experience with both.
JMHO
 
Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
The book I recommend in the ophthalmology FAQ written by the AAO for residents has good chapters on refraction and retinoscopy.

Andrew, how would we get a copy of this book?