Least competitive medical schools?

Started by xnfs93hy
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xnfs93hy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that there really isn't such a thing as an "easy in" when talking about medical school because all of them basically require you to have fantastic marks, etc.

However, which ones are generally considered to be easier to get into among the Allo. medical schools? Also, I plan on moving (like literally) to Ohio when I start undergrad. I am looking into Universities mainly in Ohio and some in Kentucky. I know I can get into most of them. One college I really like is University of Cincinnati which also has a medical school. I have heard that Ohio medical schools accept a lot of OOS state applicants which is good because if I still decide to stay a resident of NJ, I might still have a pretty good shot.

Other med schools in OH:

Ohio Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Ohio University of Toledo College of Medicine
Ohio Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

I like all of their UG schools and I think Kent State has a partnership with at least one of them. What do you think?
 
You're only a junior in high school. You're already selling yourself short for medical school?

Don't worry so much about it and deal with it when the time arrives. You have no idea how well you are going to do in college right now, and you might not even pursue medicine.
 
haha how do you know you can get into most of them already? at your age medical schools will not take anything you've done up to this point into consideration
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha how do you know you can get into most of them already? at your age medical schools will not take anything you've done up to this point into consideration
I don't lol. I'm talking from an OOS vs. In State standpoint. Ohio accepts lots of OOS applicants, all good medical schools, Undergrads have partnerships, etc.
 
I don't lol. I'm talking from an OOS vs. In State standpoint. Ohio accepts lots of OOS applicants, all good medical schools, Undergrads have partnerships, etc.

You always have a better chance of getting into your own state school (unless you live in Cali). bear in mind that the state decides whether you are in-state or out-of-state -- you don't. Most states don't consider living in their state solely for educational purposes to qualify you for in-state treatment, but others might. As the prior poster mentioned, your goal should not be the get into the least competitive school before you start. You might want to get into your state school for financial reasons, but not for less competitive reasons.
 
I think he was talking about being able to get into most of the colleges. In any event, you can look at Hal's school selection spreadsheet in th What Are My Chances? forum.

Even so, your goal starting out should be to put yourself in position to get into a competitive med school, not to play games to maximize your chances to have a shot at less competitive ones.
 
You always have a better chance of getting into your own state school (unless you live in Cali). bear in mind that the state decides whether you are in-state or out-of-state -- you don't. Most states don't consider living in their state solely for educational purposes to qualify you for in-state treatment, but others might.

At least for medical schools, Ohio is one of these few states where it is relatively easy switch from OOS to in-state status after enrolling.

I'm not sure if the same applies to Undergrad, but you could look into it if you truly decide you want to go to and stay in Ohio.

Even so, your goal starting out should be to put yourself in position to get into a competitive med school, not to play games to maximize your chances to have a shot at less competitive ones.

QFT. You have a clean slate, aim high.
 
You're only a junior in high school. You're already selling yourself short for medical school?

Don't worry so much about it and deal with it when the time arrives. You have no idea how well you are going to do in college right now, and you might not even pursue medicine.

There are so many people in my bio class that have just given up. They just cant handle it and have decided that its not for them.
 
Even so, your goal starting out should be to put yourself in position to get into a competitive med school, not to play games to maximize your chances to have a shot at less competitive ones.
Oh yeah, I agree for sure. I started that post when kdburton's was the most recent post, but a friend dropped by before I could finish. It would've made a lot more sense where it was supposed to be. 😛