Least competitive route for cosmetic procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndrewRuss84

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am really interested in going into cosmetic surgery but am pretty much never going to get into a plastics training program. I am just being honest with myself given that I am a Caribbean grad and my step 1 score was only 218. However, my step 2 score was 255 so it's not that I'm an idiot, I just had a lot going on during step 1 (re: major surgery). I also screwed around a bit in undergrad and didn't do so hot on my MCAT, which is why I ended up being an IMG.

Anyway, I am a second year family medicine resident and am willing to go through great lengths to switch to a surgical path that might lead to legitimately do cosmetic surgery.

I'm aware that many different specialties can do a "cosmetic" fellowship (i.e. ENT, Ophtho, gen surg), and I also realize all of these are competitive residencies. If I were to do research for a year or 2, which would these routes would I be most likely to follow? I know this is an uphill battle but I'm willing to put in the work.

I think something like ophtho would be the shortest route, since I did a medicine prelim year (not a surgical prelim) and I think this is the only specialty of the "cosmetic precursors" that I could apply this to.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
I am really interested in going into cosmetic surgery but am pretty much never going to get into a plastics training program. I am just being honest with myself given that I am a Caribbean grad and my step 1 score was only 218. However, my step 2 score was 255 so it's not that I'm an idiot, I just had a lot going on during step 1 (re: major surgery). I also screwed around a bit in undergrad and didn't do so hot on my MCAT, which is why I ended up being an IMG.

Anyway, I am a second year family medicine resident and am willing to go through great lengths to switch to a surgical path that might lead to legitimately do cosmetic surgery.

I'm aware that many different specialties can do a "cosmetic" fellowship (i.e. ENT, Ophtho, gen surg), and I also realize all of these are competitive residencies. If I were to do research for a year or 2, which would these routes would I be most likely to follow? I know this is an uphill battle but I'm willing to put in the work.

I think something like ophtho would be the shortest route, since I did a medicine prelim year (not a surgical prelim) and I think this is the only specialty of the "cosmetic precursors" that I could apply this to.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

While you can try to go about this in a number of ways, you have to realize that the most likely outcome is that you won't be able to match into gen surg/ENT/ophtho as an IMG with a below average step 1 who has already used up a significant portion of alloted GME money for training. I wouldn't say impossible, but you would likely have to stumble upon an opportunity where a program all of a sudden needs a trainee last minute and you happen to hear about it just in time. In the meantime, complete your FM residency, try to network, and maybe even talk to a few program directors in the above mentioned fields to get a better idea of your chances, and how to maximize your chances.