Least saturated specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muhali3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just for curiosity purposes. I can already hear the clamoring.

Anyways, just was interested in knowing what fields have the best availability in major urban centers? Of course a lot of specialties can open up a practice wherever but that is more easy/doable for some than others. Was just interested as there does not seem to be any easy way to ascertain what the market is like for certain specialties other than by hearsay. Online recruiting sites don't really seem to be an accurate representation...(or are they?). Here is what my idea is of specialties you could easily find work in or around a major urban center (nyc, la, chicago, etc.)

Derm
psychiatry (especially child psych)
peds and peds subspecs
family medicine
rheumatology (??)

what else?

I was able to find this information https://www.healthecareers.com/article/career/top-specialties-with-the-highest-hiring-demand but for some reason it doesn't seem like that's correct.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyways, just was interested in knowing what fields have the best availability in major urban centers? Of course a lot of specialties can open up a practice wherever but that is more easy/doable for some than others. Was just interested as there does not seem to be any easy way to ascertain what the market is like for certain specialties other than by hearsay. Online recruiting sites don't really seem to be an accurate representation...(or are they?). Here is what my idea is of specialties you could easily find work in or around a major urban center (nyc, la, chicago, etc.)

Derm
peds and peds subspecs
family medicine
rheumatology (??)

what else?

I was able to find this information https://www.healthecareers.com/article/career/top-specialties-with-the-highest-hiring-demand but for some reason it doesn't seem like that's correct.

Psychiatry is definitely the one where most in our generation could move to the most desirable city in the US tomorrow.

I have heard PM&R is getting up there is well in terms of flexibility of where to work/live.

Keep hearing about psychiatry. What's causing this recent surge in psychiatry as a specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep hearing about psychiatry. What's causing this recent surge in psychiatry as a specialty?

You're a doctor, you have an office, no hospitals or amcs bothering you.

Reactions: 1 user
Psychiatry is definitely the one where most in our generation could move to the most desirable city in the US tomorrow.

I have heard PM&R is getting up there is well in terms of flexibility of where to work/live.

Not sure I can agree with that. If you are willing to take any job (inpatient vs outpatient etc) then its fairly open. However its a small field and options are slightly more limited. Certainly not a "bad" market, but its not wide open.

I would say primary care is wide open.

Not sure I can agree with that. If you are willing to take any job (inpatient vs outpatient etc) then its fairly open. However its a small field and options are slightly more limited. Certainly not a "bad" market, but its not wide open.

I would say primary care is wide open.

Are you talking about PM&R or psych?

Surgical Pathology.....roughly a 95% acceptance rate to match in.

EM, geriatrics, and general surgeons are in pretty high demand just about everywhere right now. Agree with the others mentioned so far as well, except the guy who said pathology. Last I checked, path, rads, and ophtho have the worst job markets in medicine.

EM, geriatrics, and general surgeons are in pretty high demand just about everywhere right now. Agree with the others mentioned so far as well, except the guy who said pathology. Last I checked, path, rads, and ophtho have the worst job markets in medicine.

And Radonc

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)

Apparently Radiology is improving, but yes the Path market blows.

That's crazy considering there aren't even 200 available positions each year.

Ya sadly it's a small field, even though the absolute# of spots is low the need is lower and the residencies continue to expand. See the Radonc threads on here for more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Optho job market is bad? i've never heard that before. I know in the city it gets tight but i was under the impression that maybe an hour out of the city its not saturated at all

I was talking to some rad oncs today and they pretty much said that unless you HAVE to live in a major city the job market was just fine in private practice. They had around 3 recruitment mailings per week or more.

Optho job market is bad? i've never heard that before. I know in the city it gets tight but i was under the impression that maybe an hour out of the city its not saturated at all
According to some (possibly outdated) document I came across a year ago and couldn't dig back up if my life depended on it, yeah. Path was on the bottom, followed by rads, then ophtho.

I get 10+ emails and harassing phone calls daily about family medicine openings, so....they are far from saturated!

I get 10+ emails and harassing phone calls daily about family medicine openings, so....they are far from saturated!

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I listed the specialties that I know aren't saturated.

FM is dope. Pick a poop town, hustle, and you can clear $500,000 easy.

Know plenty of FM docs in my neck of the woods clearing that much. They grind for it though.

FM is dope. Pick a poop town, hustle, and you can clear $500,000 easy.

Know plenty of FM docs in my neck of the woods clearing that much. They grind for it though.

EM doc in BFE probably makes around that too working much less.

EM doc in BFE probably makes around that too working much less.

LOL yeah that burnout doe. If you wanna work weekends for 12 hours overnight dealing with pill seekers and all. sure. I mean, somebody's gotta do it.

These FM dudes are done with their office work at 5. No weekends either. Call a few times a month.

Oh.. and please do not look at the hourly wages they are giving today.

EMs and hospitals will be taken over by management companies that will take a cut out of your paycheck each month. It's already happening. I don't get why med students don't look at the business component. You are an employee. You don't own anything as an EM doc. You are replaceable and your salary and hourly wages are not set in stone. You get what hospitals offer. You feel like your service is worth $300/ hour?

Kick rocks homie. Deal with the $150 lol

THAT PA working under you is probably making a good amount less but is dealing with less bull**** than you are.

But whatever.. all you excited EM trauma folks... y'all do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but works harder even though he's working less

THANK YOU!

I don't think many of these EM peeps really get how much goes on in those 8-10-12 hour shifts. It is not easy money by any means. There is a reason EM is number one for burnout people! Just like anesthesia is being taken over by CRNAs... it is only a matter of time before EM is screwed as well.

Better enjoy it while y'all can lol

Y'all better be happy in FM or IM i'm telling ya lol

I have seen on SDN that FM makes ~200k in cities. If FM became really profitable, why wouldn't it also get taken over by outside entities (hospital systems, management companies etc)

Don't always believe what you read on the internet.

Hell, don't believe me when I talk about takeovers and all that jazz. But if you really understand that hospitals are here to make money and as our dollars get tied up by the government and the way that ******** Obama screwed us over, you will see it is only a matter of time before docs are screwed.

Private practice is dying.

Y'all better be happy being employees.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
@DetectiveAlonzo

What is with the condescending attitude to your colleagues?

I apologize if my tone is coming off as such over an internet forum. Just trying to be realistic and as honest as possible. If it is coming off as condescending, I humbly apologize as that is not nor was that my intention.

I cannot control how others perceive my tone but condescending is one of the last things I was trying to be. I apologize for that miscommunication. This is the internet after all lol

You can work for yourself. You can work wherever you want. You can work however much you want. You can quit for periods of time and come back if you get burned out. The work is not extremely intellectually or physically draining (although perhaps emotionally). You can take cash only if you want and have high income potential if you are willing to work for it.

It has a LOT of perks but unfortunately is discounted by a lot of med students as psuedoscientific where only the academic weaklings in medical school end up. Whatever. Their loss. They can have fun working (i.e., being an expendable cog in a machine) for some corporate hospital executive who has a bachelors degree in communications and some baloney masters degree but makes double their pay for a quarter of the work. Call responsibilities, a tight job market, long hours, bureaucratic nonsense wasting your time. What's not to love??? Oh, but the prestige!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Private practice is dying.
Y'all better be happy being employees.

It's already dead in many specialties and in big cities. The sheep generation in med school are being taught that private practice is a four letter word and that they will never get into a residency if they say that want a career in anything other than academic medicine at a large university hospital producing presumably meaning (LOL) research. And of course, this is valuable in and of itself and is clearly worth the paltry salary they will give you and tell you that it's all they can afford to pay you (LOL).

You can work for yourself. You can work wherever you want. You can work however much you want. You can quit for periods of time and come back if you get burned out. The work is not extremely intellectually or physically draining (although perhaps emotionally). You can take cash only if you want and have high income potential if you are willing to work for it.

It has a LOT of perks but unfortunately is discounted by a lot of med students as psuedoscientific where only the academic weaklings in medical school end up. Whatever. Their loss. They can have fun working (i.e., being an expendable cog in a machine) for some corporate hospital executive who has a bachelors degree in communications and some baloney masters degree but makes double their pay for a quarter of the work. Call responsibilities, a tight job market, long hours, bureaucratic nonsense wasting your time. What's not to love??? Oh, but the prestige!!!

I agree with the first 3 sentences but is the bolded really accurate? I'll defer to you since you're a resident, but given this is a specialty that is built on continuous relationships with patients, it doesn't seem very conducive to just being unavailable for months at a time.

I agree with the first 3 sentences but is the bolded really accurate? I'll defer to you since you're a resident, but given this is a specialty that is built on continuous relationships with patients, it doesn't seem very conducive to just being unavailable for months at a time.
Inpatient maybe?

Derm
peds and peds subspecs
family medicine
rheumatology (??)

what else?

Don't hit a moving target.

I worked in healthcare consulting, and I can tell you that nobody can confidently predict where healthcare is going to be in the next 10-15 years. You would make a lot of money if you could, enough money to make an attending's salary look like a pittance.

Ortho was a joke until it wasn't. Same with Derm. Rad Onc seems to be having an existential crisis at the moment. And under the Affordable Care Act, the demand for Family Medicine is skyrocketing (and compensation is predictably rising as a result). Meanwhile, practice patterns are changing too. Mid-level providers and ACOs, for example, are fundamentally reshaping how medicine is being provisioned in the US and "doable" one-man shops might not be so doable in the next few decades.

Here's the deal. For all intents and purposes, you're signing up for a 30+ year commitment. Imagine how much the world has changed in the last 30 years. If you're going to pick a speciality based on how things are right now, you might be in for a world of hurt later on. It's all fine and fair to look at compensation or whatever, but I recommend keeping things in a much broader perspective. As lame as it sounds, pick what you love and let the rest sort itself out. Hell, tomorrow I might get hit in the face by a turkey wearing a jetpack and that's reason enough for me to never do another mind-numbingly boring day of derm clinic in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Don't hit a moving target.

I worked in healthcare consulting, and I can tell you that nobody can confidently predict where healthcare is going to be in the next 10-15 years. You would make a lot of money if you could, enough money to make an attending's salary look like a pittance.

Ortho was a joke until it wasn't. Same with Derm. Rad Onc seems to be having an existential crisis at the moment. And under the Affordable Care Act, the demand for Family Medicine is skyrocketing (and compensation is predictably rising as a result). Meanwhile, practice patterns are changing too. Mid-level providers and ACOs, for example, are fundamentally changing how medicine is being provisioned in the US and "doable" one-man shops might not be so doable in the next few decades.

Here's the deal. For all intents and purposes, you're signing up for a 30+ year commitment. Imagine how much the world has changed in the last 30 years. If you're going to pick a speciality based on how things are right now, you might be in for a world of hurt later on. It's all fine and fair to look at compensation or whatever, but I recommend keeping things in a much broader perspective. As lame as it sounds, pick what you love to do and let the rest sort itself out. Hell, I met get hit by an asteroid tomorrow and that's good enough reason for me to never do another mind-numbingly boring day of derm clinic in my life.

This! The game is changing and people don't ****ing get it!