amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
So Im in a very demanding Masters program. I have classes, seminars, meetings, research, TA work ...etc. Now I have 5 interviews in Sept with possibly more coming and Im wondering how schools will look at me taking a leave from university for a semester because I feel as though I can't concentrate on my research if I barely there the first month anyways. If I get into dental school, I wont be able to finish my 2 year degree anyways so why stress it?

Is there any conditions where they accept you but you need to finish your masters first or they need to have grades from this semester?

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
You would have to ask the schools AFTER acceptance. Not a good idea to bring it up at the interview.

usually the say you need to finish the courses you started and have planned when you applied. Masters or undergrad.

About the Ads

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
So Im in a very demanding Masters program. I have classes, seminars, meetings, research, TA work ...etc. Now I have 5 interviews in Sept with possibly more coming and Im wondering how schools will look at me taking a leave from university for a semester because I feel as though I can't concentrate on my research if I barely there the first month anyways. If I get into dental school, I wont be able to finish my 2 year degree anyways so why stress it?

Is there any conditions where they accept you but you need to finish your masters first or they need to have grades from this semester?
Just to be clear, you applied to dental school and received 5 interview invites, with only undergrad courses and grades and no master's grades to show for yet?

OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
Just to be clear, you applied to dental school and received 5 interview invites, with only undergrad courses and grades and no master's grades to show for yet?
Im confused as to how you think I have no masters grades? Im averaging a 4.0 in grad school.

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Im confused as to how you think I have no masters grades? Im averaging a 4.0 in grad school.
Your initial post was not clear in that regard. You mentioned not being able to "finish your 2 year degree anyways" should you get into dental school, which implies either you have not started your 2-year master's program or you need to organize time among the initial interview wave to complete your final year. If you already have 5 interviews for September, then know that the bulk of your interviews will happen towards the beginning, and it will slow down over the course of the process, giving you time to focus on your schoolwork. Speak with your PI about this.

Dental schools only require you to have completed the pre-reqs they're looking for. If you want to take a leave of absence and not finish the master's degree after putting in X amount of money into it, then that personal choice is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zen0321
OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
Your initial post was not clear in that regard. You mentioned not being able to "finish your 2 year degree anyways" should you get into dental school, which implies either you have not started your 2-year master's program or you need to organize time among the initial interview wave to complete your final year. If you already have 5 interviews for September, then know that the bulk of your interviews will happen towards the beginning, and it will slow down over the course of the process, giving you time to focus on your schoolwork. Speak with your PI about this.

Dental schools only require you to have completed the pre-reqs they're looking for. If you want to take a leave of absence and not finish the master's degree after putting in X amount of money into it, then that personal choice is entirely up to you.
My grad program is luckily paid for by my scholarships so money isnt an issue. But some schools do require you to finish your degree you are currently in. So that isn't really correct and there is some misunderstandings about this across many previous forums.

Reactions: artist2022

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
My grad program is luckily paid for by my scholarships so money isnt an issue. But some schools do require you to finish your degree you are currently in. So that isn't really correct and there is some misunderstandings about this across many previous forums.
Good to know some schools may. So essentially you have answered your own initial question.

OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
Good to know some schools do. So essentially you have answered your own initial question.
No, someone more constructive said BU required it. But nice to know your answer of "Dental schools only require you to have completed the pre-reqs they're looking for. " was super useless though.

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
It actually says on a dental school website that its required. Thanks to know youre super concerned bb.
I'm not concerned, just trying to teach you a lesson to do your own research direct to source for what you're interested in knowing. I did not have to complete my planned courses unrelated to pre-reqs for any of the dental schools that accepted me.

Reactions: Zen0321
OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
I'm not concerned, just trying to teach you a lesson to do your own research direct to source for what you're interested in knowing.
Look at your own first comment, you arent helpful, you just passive aggressive and shady AF lol. Side note though, you dont need to teach people lessons, offer your advice or dont.

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Look at your own first comment, you arent helpful, you just passive aggressive and shady AF lol. Side note though, you dont need to teach people lessons, offer your advice or dont.
All of my comments stemmed from personal experience and advice to you from someone who has been through the process, got planned courses waived and am currently in dental school. With your unclear communication skills, offensive attitude, ineptitude for proactive independent research, and poor grammatical skills, I'm sure you'll do well in interviews - now THAT'S passive aggressive.

OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
All of my comments stemmed from personal experience and advice to you from someone who has been through the process, got planned courses waived and am currently in dental school. With your unclear communication skills, offensive attitude, ineptitude for proactive independent research, and poor grammatical skills, I'm sure you'll do well in interviews - now THAT'S passive aggressive.
1. you applied to dental school and received 5 interview invites, with only undergrad courses and grades and no master's grades to show for yet?
2. If you want to take a leave of absence and not finish the master's degree after putting in X amount of money into it, then that personal choice is entirely up to you.
3. So essentially you have answered your own initial question.
4. I'm not concerned, just trying to teach you a lesson
5. With your unclear communication skills, offensive attitude, ineptitude for proactive independent research, and poor grammatical skills, I'm sure you'll do well in interviews - now THAT'S passive aggressive.

You aren't a nice person and took this to levels that wasnt needed.

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
1. you applied to dental school and received 5 interview invites, with only undergrad courses and grades and no master's grades to show for yet?
2. If you want to take a leave of absence and not finish the master's degree after putting in X amount of money into it, then that personal choice is entirely up to you.
3. So essentially you have answered your own initial question.
4. I'm not concerned, just trying to teach you a lesson
5. With your unclear communication skills, offensive attitude, ineptitude for proactive independent research, and poor grammatical skills, I'm sure you'll do well in interviews - now THAT'S passive aggressive.

You aren't a nice person and took this to levels that wasnt needed.
1. Trying to get clarification because you were unclear as to your circumstances surrounding wanting to take a leave of absence in your initial post.

2. That is a fact. The choice to finish anything you started is up to you.

3. You stated my advice was incorrect based on my experience, and you implied you had found the answer on your own. So why did you post?

4. I was, and my point behind that is valuable advice moving forward in your career.

5. In reference to you referring to me as unhelpful and shady, those are objective qualities you have demonstrated to my responses.

No need to take all this to an emotional level and accusing others of their intentions. The dental students I've seen on here all take the time out of their day to pay it forward to pre-dental students like you. Be respectful and professional in your response, not accusatory, and they will do the same.

OP
amariesa

amariesa

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
1. Trying to get clarification because you were unclear as to your circumstances surrounding wanting to take a leave of absence in your initial post.

2. That is a fact. The choice to finish anything you started is up to you.

3. You stated my advice was incorrect based on my experience, and you implied you had found the answer on your own. So why did you post?

4. I was, and my point behind that is valuable advice moving forward in your career.

5. In reference to you referring to me as unhelpful and shady, those are objective qualities you have demonstrated to my responses.

No need to take all this to an emotional level and accusing others of their intentions. The dental students I've seen on here all take the time out of their day to pay it forward to pre-dental students like you. Be respectful and professional in your response, not accusatory, and they will do the same.
So I could down to your level, but I dont like dealing with people with over inflated egos that try to teach people lessons while being passive aggressive.

If you want to talk objective qualities, you went to a thread asking for clarification on requiring a degree and offered the wrong information (lol respect your knowledge? ha). Thats basically the TLDR of this thread. You could get mad, say Im an ass or sit on your high horse of knowing some wisdom and would love to pass it down to us small predents, but thats the fact. You dont know what youre talking about.

Reactions: hizi and artist2022
About the Ads