Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Leave of Absence for Semester Due To Depression

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by astrife, Dec 20, 2008.

1. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    edit

#1 astrife, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bleurberry

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're fine. It may come up, and you don't have to get into specifics, just say it was a school approved medical withdrawl. After all, your medical records are private, and admissions will understand that better than most.

4. kypreos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i havent even applied to med school but that will not effect you in ANY way. i would be honest with them about it tell them the truth(if your comfortable with it) and even if you just say it was a medical leave i still doubt it will hiurt your changes what so ever. with a 3.92 youll be looking at some great schools....good luck

5. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree that you'll be fine. It was only one semester and the rest of your record is sterling. Schools will want reassurance that the problem is controlled and unlikely to effect you again, and I think you can provide this in good conscience. Definitely stick to the premed route. This experience can only make you a better doctor.

6. FIREitUP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you are very fortunate to have responded to medication (depression runs in my family as well). I wish the best of luck to you.

7. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    You (and/or your pre-med committee LOR) will need to address the LOA. All that needs to be said is that you had a flare-up of a chronic illness that precluded you from attending classes (no need to be specific - it is none of anyone's business) and that you withdrew on your doctor's advice. The only problem is that you might be asked what you will do if you have a flare-up during medical school and you should be able to address that because it is something that you should think about... that said, treatment for depression is relatively common among medical students and doesn't preclude anyone from being successful in med school.

8. otterpop

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This shouldn't cause a problem. I'm not sure I would want admissions committees to know that about the depression, though. I'm sure they are very understanding but it's something I'd be uncomfortable bringing up.