P/NP'ing a class at the end of the semester due to school circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktriphosphate

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently taking a humanities classes for my minor program (in data science) that surrounds ethics and history. I have been doing pretty well in this class over the course of the semester but over the last couple of weeks there has been a massive strike going on throughout the university and the class has not continued with lectures or sections over the last couple of weeks whatsoever. In addition, the communication from the non-union associated instructors in the class has been absolutely piss poor and so I've been completely directionless in the class for the past couple of weeks. The university just ok'ed a late p/np grading option change due to the strike today and I am highly considering just switching to a P/NP option knowing that I will get the P rather than continue being stressed regarding the uncertainty of the class heading into finals week.

Was wondering if this would be bad for me or look bad to AO's that might be reviewing my app (this is also not a premed pre-req class or science class if that is relevant). For additional context, I'm a little concerned that AO's might compare this semester as compared to my last. Last semester I took 7 classes totaling 20 units (credit hours ??) and all the units taken were for a grade whereas this semester I'm taking 15 units and if I pass / no pass this class, only 11 of the units will be graded units. Although the 20 unit semester is not something I plan on repeating I'm afraid that someone reviewing my application might think that I'm not challenging myself or something and I don't really know how that will reflect upon me. Don't really have anyone to ask this question to and the deadline for changing grading options is impending so thought I would ask here. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The situation in California is a real serious challenge, so if you are comfortable talking about these circumstances, going pass-fail will not be held against you. Remember that most admissions professionals are not living in isolated bubbles, and it is their job to keep track of these extenuating circumstances when files are reviewed from affected applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a valid reason. It shouldn’t be held against you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that it would not be held against you. This is a very valid reason that can be explained to admissions committees.

Reactions: 1 user