Leaving after MSI or MSII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmo

BMF
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to leave med school and return without starting over. For example, could a person withdraw after the first or second year and be gone for a couple years and return either at their original school or another school where they left off? Or, is it necessary to completely start over and re-apply if a person wants to return? Are all those classes good for nothing if you leave?

I wouldn't matriculate if I planned on leaving, but was just wondering what the process was.

Members don't see this ad.

You can officially request a leave of absence from your school. I know people who've taken a leave in order to have a baby, deal with family issues, do research, etc. It's probably easier to leave after MS2 (and after taking Step 1) than after MS1--that way you'll have all the basic science classes out of the way.

ddmoore54 said:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to leave med school and return without starting over. For example, could a person withdraw after the first or second year and be gone for a couple years and return either at their original school or another school where they left off? Or, is it necessary to completely start over and re-apply if a person wants to return? Are all those classes good for nothing if you leave?

I wouldn't matriculate if I planned on leaving, but was just wondering what the process was.

yep. a lot of students will take a yr off after 2nd or 3rd year to do research, have a kid, or whatever.

I know at Columbia, up to a 1/3 of the class does this, usually after the 3rd yr.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a couple of MD/PhD students who took time off after 2nd year. They said that since you generally lose track of all your 1st and 2nd year pals after Step 1, it's the best time to do it. Plus, clinical rotations are something to look forward to, rather than 2nd year LECTURES.

i was thinking of doing the same thing. One thing i was worried about was if you took off after 2nd year, would you forget stuff for clinicals, or is that not applicable. also, how would residency people look at it if you did somehting non-medical, but satisfying, like working over seas?

A guy at my school (and currently in my class) left my med school 2, yes 2 times, and he's back again this year. I guess getting accepted to med school is easier for some people... :confused:

prlester said:
i was thinking of doing the same thing. One thing i was worried about was if you took off after 2nd year, would you forget stuff for clinicals, or is that not applicable. also, how would residency people look at it if you did somehting non-medical, but satisfying, like working over seas?

yes, you'll forget some things; but if you put in 110% as an ms1 ms2, you'll retain most of the important stuff for later on.