Leaving Anesthesiology for IM (to Cards)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackhandedCompliment

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- long-time poster on the anesthesia forum in disguise dropping in to get some opinions.

I am currently an anesthesiology resident at a top 3 anesthesia program, and did my internship in internal medicine at the same institution, which is also a top medicine program. Last year took me completely by surprise- I loved it. I mean, it was hard, but I really loved the people I worked with and the relationships with patients. My goal has always been to be a cardiac anesthesiologist, and I traded for many cardiology rotations last year and spent approximately 24 weeks on the cards service, either floor or ICU. Through this, I became especially interested in cardiac imaging and structural heart disease. As the year drew to a close I spoke to a few cardiology fellows about my growing desire to defect from anesthesiology to IM so I could pursue cardiology. They were supportive, but urged me to complete a year of anesthesia before saying anything to the leadership.

Fast forward to now. Anesthesiology is a lot of fun. I love the procedures, the workflow, my interactions with patients before they go to the operating room. I haven't gotten to do any cardiac operations yet as a resident, but that's coming up soon, and I did a month as a 4th year medical student so I have some idea. Call is enjoyable most of the time (asleep unless needed). Great working environment.

But I'm still unsure how satisfied I'll be long-term in cardiac anesthesia, and still think about going for Cardiology. It would be the difference between supporting the patient getting their TAVR, and doing the procedure myself. I have a lot of support within the medicine department (a few attendings offered to help me switch last year when I discussed my interest with them), and history tells me my anesthesia program would be behind me. Just scared this is a grass-is-greener situation. I'd be looking at 7-8 years from the end of this year, 3-4 more than it would take me to do cardiac anesthesia with or without critical care fellowship. Should I just stick with the devil I know, or take the plunge?

Some other details- I am married to another resident, who is very supportive. We are in our late 20s with a fair amount of debt, no children, but hopes to have some soon.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it sounds like you want to switch, so switch. you are honestly the only one that can make the decision. just know medicine can suck at times, especially when you are really only interested in a fellowship and you have to "fake it" so you don't get a bad reputation with general med people. not possible to switch most things for extra cards so you're stuck with rotations in geriatrics, continuity clinic, infectious disease, etc. that being said, i think you've already made the decision and just need encouragement... so do it