Leaving Art for Medicine!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiPark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there were any non-traditional apps who pursued a degree in art, or specifically fashion design, before they decided to make the big leap?!

If so, how difficult was the transition, any advice for apps to post bacc programs?

Members don't see this ad.

My fiance, an intern in internal medicine, has always WANTED to be a fashion designer! It's one of his lifelong fascinations. When we first met I was sure I wasn't his type, because I am pretty clueless about fashion.

Can you imagine a forum dedicated to the question how to transition from medicine to fashion design? What would it say?

My fiance told me that anatomy class had a couple of artists... he said they were exceptionally good with visualizing and remembering anatomical structures and 3-D relationships.

In all seriousness, to try to answer your question, I'll share with you some genearl tips I would give to anyone starting a post bacc. The most important consideration is finding a university/college that is accessible to you and that offers the pre-reqs you need at times that fit into your schedule. I have to fit my classes around a job, and I've found that scheduling trumps all else... public/private, large school/small school, big name/unknown name. Once you've found classes that fit your schedule, dedicate your all to them and make sure to establish relationships with at least some of the professors. You will need to ask them to write letters for you in a year or two!

This advice is merely a start... I am sure you can find a lot of great information in the post-bacc forum.

I wish you the best of luck!

I have a degree in music performance. I was told in admissions that if a music student switches fields after their BM, it was most often to medical school. Most of my friends who did this saw their background as an asset. Many of my friends that went immediately after undergrad are doing well now. The most trouble that they had was the first semester of medical school. After that, they excelled. Best of Luck!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a music person before the switch (although I'm now majoring in bio). I also have an uncle-in-law who was a music major and is now a MD-PHD pathologist...I have another friend who was an english major...

I'm sure someone has done the art major thing...

I was not a major, but I took planty of art classes, photo, sculpture, painting. I don't know about fashion design but a switch from visual arts to med school would be a tough transition only because of the out of class studying. But, I guess you would have to take the pre-reqs/do a post-bacc so that would prepare you. I certainly didn't spend 6 hours daily outside of sculpture/photo/painting class in a library.

Hi MiPark,

I have a BFA in filmmaking. The only pre-req I had fulfilled while in college was 1 semester of Calculus and all the English/Humanities stuff. Last year I kept my day job while taking General Chemistry at night and volunteering in an ER to prove to myself that I really was serious about pursuing medicine. That year was a long, sleep-deprived one. I got an A in both gen chem classes and glowing LOR from an ER doctor.

In June I left my job, but arranged to do part-time consulting for a few months. I took Bio, an EMT class, Stats, and a few easy classes to help with the GPA. I met with a premed adviser at the local state school I enrolled in and she and I came up with my plan for this regular school year. I'm currently taking Bio II, OChem, Physics, Biology of Cancer, and doing cancer research. In the Spring I'll be taking Ochem II, Physics II, physiology,more cancer research, plus MCAT study. When my part-time consulting responsibilities are over, I'll be working as an EMT 1 day a week. I took the UCLA intensive class and we already have recruiters up on our a$$es wanting us to work!

I applied late last year to formal post bac programs and didn't get in anywhere. I'm actually thankful because I am only paying about $5k for my post bac education vs $30k. Plus I already graduated from a top 20 university, so I am not too worried about my pre-reqs coming from the local state school. Currently my overall GPA is a 3.57 (I partied a lot in school) and my BCPM is a 3.96. I apply next summer for the first time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, also, my pre-med advisor recommended that I not neglect the art part of me during this busy year. She said that schools like to see that you're truly passionate about things other than medicine. That might be good advice for you too.

Thank you so much for your advice and support. I am constantly hearing stories of artists who later become physicians....but it seems that no matter how many times I hear it, I am still discouraged....perhaps weighed down by unecessary insecurities because I have no science and math (yet) to back up my credentials.

F.Y.I. I am in the process of applying to Post Bacc Programs. I am a designer right now working under contract which ends next august, so I plan on using this thread as a forum to blog my progress, in case any body finds it helpful.

I discovered an amazing book which has helped me tremendously in asking myself many of the pertinent questions one must ask when considering such an "erratic" career change.

Perhaps, this could be a thread to share our thoughts on the unity of science and art as well, as I have been realizing more and more how similar these disciplines are, rather than polar opposites.

Here is the ISBN: 0-300-09542-2 or 0-300-10029 - 9

I think one is hardcover, and one is paperback.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hi MiPark,

Back in the day I was a professional modern dancer, and now I am applying to medical school. I actually just got my first interview invite the other day, so add me to the list that shows artists capable of making the transition!

Like some of the other posters, I did a postbac for a year. I had actually done my basic sciences back in undergrad (10 years ago), so I knew what I was getting into. My interview went so well that I was told at the end I would be accepted! We spent most of the time talking about my dance background and the program director said how artists and athletes tend to do very well. Looks like that dance background turned out to be good for something after all!

My ex is a fashion designer and I am sure that the OCD that is necessary in order to create the work will serve you well in your studies. I wish you the best and good luck!

Frank Netter was an art student in undergrad, and almost every physician knows who he is! So not only do art students become doctor's, they become really famous ones.:laugh:

I'm a pianist and public school music teacher. I have been teaching for about 10 years now and I have switched to the medical field, specifically, Dentistry. I hope I'm not in the wrong forum!:)

Last week I was at an interview with someone who was an artist and was trying to get into medical school. He had his master's in art and had worked as a graphic designer for some time. He was in his 40s and making the switch to medicine. It was very encouraging for some of us other non-trads interviewing that day to see someone so close to reaching their goal. He said he was looking into surgery, which seemed like I great fit for an artisit.

Last week I was at an interview with someone who was an artist and was trying to get into medical school. He had his master's in art and had worked as a graphic designer for some time. He was in his 40s and making the switch to medicine. It was very encouraging for some of us other non-trads interviewing that day to see someone so close to reaching their goal. He said he was looking into surgery, which seemed like I great fit for an artisit.

i like this thread!

i got my degree in science illustration. actually, i wanted to be a medical illustrator, so as an undergrad illustration major i started taking classes in bio, chem, and most important- anatomy. TarHeel is right. i absolutely kicked butt in that class and got one the highest grades, much to my surprise and everyone elses. being able to draw and visualize goes a loooong way in anatomy. anyway, long story short, i realized i was way more into science than art and that i wanted to go to med school. i did not get into a formal postbacc (rejected!), so i changed my approach and now i am working on a masters in anatomy at the graduate school of a nearby med school. i have yet to take the mcat but if i can do well on that, and get decent grades, combined with my research (the PI claims that ALL her masters students get published) and apply to some nontrad friendly schools, well . . . :::fingers crossed::: if nothing else, i will certainly apply to the med school where i am now, and maybe some people on the committee will know me and root for me.

i was a fashion degisn major for about . . . two weeks before i changed my mind and switched to illustration. so its a stretch but technically we are in kinda the same boat! my advice to you is, get used to the idea of having to go back to school for a bit before applying to med school. i didnt like the idea at first but now that i am here, not only do i really love it, but i am beginning to see how it is really going to help me in the long run. and for you, in addition to the basic sciences you'll need to take, i'd highly reccommend anatomy, as an artist you should be able to do well and hopefully that'll impress someone. as well as bring up your gpa, because i am sure you will get an A in it, right?! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an actor with a degree in theater, and I'm making my way through the prereqs now, and loving it. I actually think my arty background is a big plus, because it's so different from the norm for med students, so I have a different perspective.

Now, whether med schools will see it the same way is another question altogether...

Anyway, good luck to you, and all the artists in this thread. Oh, and I guess all you non-artists, too.

I was an Industrial (Product) Designer for 3 years. Pretty much no science back ground. Now at 26yrs old I'm loving the journey of pre med. After pulling 17hr days for bosses I really disliked a long day of studying is not bad. I don't want to look back in 10 years and say "what if..." Just love what you're doing. Good luck.

Hi all (especially bearferret)

I was a theater actress and got my undergrad degree in theater before switching to medicine years later. I was accepted to med school (but deferred a year), so it does happen. They like well rounded people, so just make it happen.

I switched my major from Architectural Design to Graphic Arts and have a B.A. in Graphic Arts. I've worked as an architectural designer, a graphic artist, and for the past 3-4 yrs, I've been teaching high school art.

It was just last yr when I realized that I wanted to go into medicine. Now, I'm prepping to take bio, chem, anatomy and some math coursework in the Spring and of course studying for the MCAT in hopes of one day becoming a plastic surgeon.

Religion major here! I love this thread. Just like everyone else here, I came to fall in love with medicine years after I was out of school. Shadowing is great for that, it can really confirm everything you're thinking. Got my MCAT back (31R), did great in my post-bacc reqs (3.95 GPA), with an alright undergrad GPA (3.35) at a prestigious New England liberal arts college. . . so I'm hoping for some luck this fall!

I shadowed a D.O., and came to really respect the field. If you're thinking general practice, this is a profession that can really expand your range of care in a day- you'll be able to incorporate manual manipulation in the course of "normal" physician duties, and I think that the patients really appreciate the opportunity for other avenues of healing. With alternative medicine expanding in leaps and bounds, I think osteopathy is going to find something of a renewed popularity in the years to come. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Haha...yup, music and French major here. Also a pianist. Yay for musicians!

I've heard that some of the doctor-orchestras are among the best in the country...the professor that told me that went on to say "because they can afford the best instruments"...

Just wondering if there were any non-traditional apps who pursued a degree in art, or specifically fashion design, before they decided to make the big leap?!

If so, how difficult was the transition, any advice for apps to post bacc programs?

Frank Netter was an art student in undergrad, and almost every physician knows who he is! So not only do art students become doctor's, they become really famous ones.:laugh:

One of my classmates was an artist before medical school. She was actually a medical illustrator which was how she became interested in medicine as a career. We photocopied her sketches of our cadaver and used them to study for our lab practicals. Needless to say, all of us honored Gross Anatomy in that tank. We tried to encourage her to sell them to the classes behind us but she declined. She ended up going into Peds and now has an office with the most wonderful illustrations on the walls of her exam room. I am going to ask her to do some for my exam rooms too.

I got a degree in music (guitar) and another one in german and now I'm going back to get a ba in chemistry and biology. Applying to med school this year.

i didn't get a degree in it, but rocked through the school of hard knocks touring with indie bands throughout my college days. One thing I still don't regret doing. We'd spend months on tour in the summer and winter. What I always loved was coming back for the new year and everyone asks "what did you do all summer"...I'd always answer..."Worked my butt off for a month, spent the rest of it traveling the USA, sleeping on floors, and playing music to a giant room filled with 4 people".....It was great.

Interestingly, my old bassist just quit his job last month, and just saw him on friday when he was on tour with his new band who just had a sit down with the manager of the strokes!!!

When I graduate in Dec2008 I will have a BFA in Dance and a BS in Movement Science.:p... then i have to do a post-bac to finish up pre reqs

looove this thread! I did my undergrad in theater direction, and although its hard to turn around and start something new I don't regret it for a single second. I think having an alternative view of the world is the best thing we can bring to medicine. What I do is who I am and I never wish that I had gone the more "normal" route.

I have a BFA in Painting (Fashion Design major at first, switched sophmore year), and now I'm in Dental School. I did my post-bacc at a state university, and a post-bacc research fellow year at a med school. From the day I decided to pursue DS until the day I started took me 34 months - the time has flown by, though.

Good luck to the OP and everyone else.

Bumping this thread. I'm in a similar situation and wants to know if anyone else is as well? I was a fashion design major but dropped out when I assisted in hair and fashion shows and discovered I can make money with my talents. A little background - I'm 34, happily married with 2 boys (6 and 13). I'm a makeup artist and hair stylist for TV, events and fashion. I'm hoping to get my EMT-B cert and start my undergrad in the Fall while doing volunteer work as an EMT and maybe work out of a hospital. I have a few MD clients I can shadow. Since I was looking into the PA route, I want to shadow them as well to make sure I am making the right decision. I was always fascinated by medicine but life happened and timing wasn't right. I thought with my age, Med school would be out of the question and pursuing PA school would be a better fit but I am confident now, especially after finding this forum, that this is the long path I want to take and am leaning towards reconstructive surgery. I want to more permanently help people feel better about their appearance. :)

Its a very interesting and inspiring post.

I think its never too late starting anything new and taking up new challenges

But do it full determination & dedication, so that you reach your ultimate goal :)

BFA Graphic Design/Letterform. Technically I also took all the classes required for a minor in Art History, but since I took the last class post-degree (and not prior to a second degree from the institution) I don't have an official minor :(.
My route was a little circuitous. I was Biology for 1.5 years (one year at the school I was to ultimately finish at, and half of a second year at another school. I subsequently tranferred back to the first). I took four years to get my BFA (it was a very sequential program). Halfway through I realized I didn't like graphic design, but I liked fine arts. I didn't want to add another year by getting an illustration degree. Ironically after deciding on med school over law school, I went back for another year anyway, to get my premed reqs done and refresh on the stuff I would have forgotten for the MCAT (like physics, etc). I joke that I was on the seven-year plan.
Anyway, ultimately it's the work you're willing to put into it that will get you into med school (or PA school). You have to be reasonably intelligent (though you'll get surprised by a few of the dummies that get into med school, MD & DO both) but perseverance and effort are key.
As for the age thing, I was 28 when I started med school. I'll be 37 when I finish fellowship. The oldest people in my med school class were 48 and 53. This is kind of an interesting read (though a little long for me to have read the whole exchange) http://books.google.com/books?id=mh...X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA109,M1. Sarah was a classmate of mine, and she just graduated from an IM residency. My advice on the age thing is: If you're thinking about doing it. Do it now. While there are plenty of people who survive residency when they're older (as demonstrated above), you're body and mind tolerate it better the younger you are. So poop or get off the pot.

I finished my BFA in Digital Media (a non-traditional art major I guess..)
I started out college doing both pre-med and fine-arts. I wasn't as committed to pre-med at the beginning so I never did much volunteer and health-care related activities during the first few years of my undergrad study. I have recently graduated (last December), and now plan to apply for year 2010. I have no regrets majoring in arts because I honestly think it's the best kind of major :p... It's stressful in a different kind of way but still lots of fun, and I enjoyed being surrounded by creative artsy people. I think the weakness of my application would be lack of extra-cirriculum activities and extra science courses, but I think those are really a result of my own stupidity, for not being committed from the very beginning, other than that I think it will either have no effects or make me a unique applicant.

But I recognize our situations are very different, since I had took all the pre-med courses during my undergraduate years. I always loved fashion design by the way. good luck!

Bumping this thread. I'm in a similar situation and wants to know if anyone else is as well? I was a fashion design major but dropped out when I assisted in hair and fashion shows and discovered I can make money with my talents. A little background - I'm 34, happily married with 2 boys (6 and 13). I'm a makeup artist and hair stylist for TV, events and fashion. I'm hoping to get my EMT-B cert and start my undergrad in the Fall while doing volunteer work as an EMT and maybe work out of a hospital. I have a few MD clients I can shadow. Since I was looking into the PA route, I want to shadow them as well to make sure I am making the right decision. I was always fascinated by medicine but life happened and timing wasn't right. I thought with my age, Med school would be out of the question and pursuing PA school would be a better fit but I am confident now, especially after finding this forum, that this is the long path I want to take and am leaning towards reconstructive surgery. I want to more permanently help people feel better about their appearance. :)

Make sure you would be happy in other areas of medicine as well. Plastics is a very competitve field (maybe the most along with derm), so there is a good chance you won't end up there. I'm never one to tell someone not to pursue their dream, just know the odds as well.

This is the coolest thread! I also love music and have been torn between medicine and music. It is great to hear that others have the same interests. I wonder if anyone has ever investigated whether having a love of and being skilled in medical sciences correlates with musical/artistic ability.

I went from a BA in music (piano and music history) directly into a combined MA/PhD in musicology. Toward the end of the master's portion of my studies, I started wondering if I was really in the right field. I went so far as to apply for a couple of postbacc programs, but in the end I decided to push on with my original plan of finishing the PhD. SEVEN YEARS later, I'm about to complete my PhD, and I'm sorry to say that I'm still not happy in musicology. I am still interested in medicine (here I am surfing SDN instead of doing my own work), and I know that my age is no insurmountable obstacle (I'm 30). But I'm burned out from my struggle to complete the PhD and doubtful that I still have the stamina to make such a radical career change.

My two cents: there are many opportunities to practice the fine arts on an amateur/semi-pro basis. Not so for medicine--you do it professionally or you don't do it at all. If you're interested in medicine, I say go for it NOW, and make a commitment to yourself to keep a toe-hold in your art/music activities to whatever extent may be possible at any given point in your medical training and career.

My two cents: there are many opportunities to practice the fine arts on an amateur/semi-pro basis. Not so for medicine--you do it professionally or you don't do it at all. If you're interested in medicine, I say go for it NOW, and make a commitment to yourself to keep a toe-hold in your art/music activities to whatever extent may be possible at any given point in your medical training and career.

Thanks for this advice.

I have my BA's in Music and German. Currently, I'm in Germany on a research fellowship (my project revolves around music therapy). I'm going round and round deciding what I want to do next year.

I've considered advanced degrees in Musicology, but I'm finding I don't enjoy independent research enough to do it for the rest of my life. However, I do like the idea of being the evil Music History prof who destroys the dreams of first-year music majors :D

I've been working on my resume the past couple of days, and looking at it, I realized that my passion truly is health. I was pre med for a period in college (enough to finish chem and bio and to begin o chem), but then I decided to apply for my fellowship and add a German major, which meant no time for science classes.

And now, two years later, I'm on the SDN forums, looking for some direction.

I think what's really holding me back from med school is the state of US health care. Oh, and the high cost of medical tuition--I would like to eventually pay off my student loans.