Leaving for KCOM. Trying to find a good way..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duke

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how all of you out there going to KCOM this Aug are planning to do it.. I am from CA, and I was planning to take my slightly beat up truck, possibly a trailer,and drive to Missouri with my girlfriend.. It's a three and a half day journey, and it might be fun.. I was wondering if anyone from the west was planning to do this.. It might be exciting (well more fun than driving alone) to get a group to go together.. It's just a thought right now.
Duke

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Duke,

I am in Santa Monica right now and will also be driving out to the middle of america. I have a jeep that I will be taking out to KCOM with me.

Where are you? I was thinking about renting a truck, filling it up, and towing my car out. Funny enough, it may be cheaper to ship my car filled with stuff and rent a smaller truck and pick up my car in St.Louis or K.C. Not exactly sure how I am going to do it either Duke. My jeep gets really really bad gas mileage.

Where are you planning to live when you get out to Kirksville? Is your girlfriend coming along to stay, or just to help out? When are you planning your exodus?

I think it would be great if the Cali-KCOMers got together here before there.

Who knows...
lets talk

cliff

By the way, why not COMP for you? I would really be interested in your answer to this one.
------------------

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited 03-01-99).]

When I moved, I also found that it's cheaper to ship my car than rent a trailer truck big enought to tow my car along. What I ended up doing was shipping all my stuff UPS Ground (cost $150 total for 6 boxes @ 50-60# each) and drove my car to Kirksville. 3 days taking I-80. My total cost of moving, including shipping, food, overnight stay and gas for the 3-day trip, was $500 plus a new bed and desk and chair. I garage-saled my stuff before I move so I recovered more half the cost of the new stuff I bought in KV. Excluding the shipping, the rest you will incur anyway driving or towing your car. HTH. Btw, I am from the San Francisco Bay Area, lived in Santa Monica for 5 years though. I miss the beaches, though not the smoggy air and traffic and crimes of LA. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
See that's a great way to move.
My problem is that my car is a "piece of trash" and it will never make it to CA. So the trailer on the back of the truck is from far the cheapest solution for me. By the way how much did it cost to ship ya'lls car? the prices I've been looking at are ~ $1.5-3K. So the truck-trailer combo ($625) sounds like a better deal - by the way any intelligent feedback/advice is welcome.
--Nicolas--
WesternU. '03

Nick,
I was quoted $750 shipping station-to-station, i.e. the company's station in Los Angeles and theirs in Kansas City. To ship it door-to-door would be too expensive.

I'm from Irvine (orange county) and i'm planning on attending UHS (K.C) this fall. Currently, the plan for me is to pack fragile and essential stuff in my car ('98 corolla so it's small) and take a road trip with two friends. It's still early so we haven't yet decide on our route but we definitely will hit vegas (how can we not?) We're going to basically meander our way to the midwest and hopefully have one big adventure before we go our separate ways (we're all going to grad school in different health fields). My parents and i in turn will pay for half of their return airplane tickets. I'm going to UPS a lot of my stuff and my parents are going to bring some stuff when they come to the white coat ceremony. I find the idea of having an exodus of californians caravaning to the midwest very interesting. Keep me posted about this.