Leaving medical school... (e.g. I should be studying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suppose I can comment now on what it’s been like so far to have left medical school. Enlightening, it has been — yes, it has. I will say only a few things here, the first of which is that most of what has happened to me has been absolutely appalling.

I also must say that I am an extremely intelligent human being. It is an absurdity that because I have chosen to leave medical school as it is known in this beautiful country of ours (with the sights and the stars) that I am apparently now a total and utter vagabond.

I am willing to work and to continue exceeding boundaries but I am still unemployed, being offered opportunities that have been somewhat insulting to my intelligence. I am not meaning to insult any other profession, but I am worthy of more than a $25,000/year salary.

That said, I have never been physically healthier. My hair is growing back, after having fallen out in some sort of eflluvium post-dropout, and the severe nodulocystic acne that I was experiencing seems to have come to a screeching halt. Knock-on-wood.

I have ceased all prescribed pharmaceuticals aside from Escitalopram 20mg daily, which gives an additional benefit of helping to keep my OCD (and likely PTSD) at bay. I am still seeing my psychiatrist twice a month to ensure that I am in reality, and I finally got the chance to handle a worsening high-grade HPV situation that I had developing in my cervix along with the biopsy of a suspicious mole that had been growing for years. Ironic, that I would have had to leave the medical profession to fully ascertain the security of these vital issues. My OBGYN explained that had I not undergone the LEEP procedure (which I had no time to even consider during medical school), that I would have had cervical carcinoma in 10 years from now — and I pictured myself in my white coat, wheeling myself into chemo before my shift at the hospital.

So yes, I am unemployed. But I am healthy, again, and I will stay alive.

I hate to break it to you, but few professions outside Engineering and Medicine have anything to do with intelligence. Most places you work will be a huge insult to your intelligence, and most people you work with will be mindless peons who don't care about the quality of their work but merely are looking for ways to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money.

Speaking from a purely practical point of view, I don't see many professions that reward you financially as a direct function of your intelligence. You may want to consider starting a business, since that will more closely related to your own effort and imagination. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to break it to you, but few professions outside Engineering and Medicine have anything to do with intelligence. Most places you work will be a huge insult to your intelligence, and most people you work with will be mindless peons who don't care about the quality of their work but merely are looking for ways to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money.

Speaking from a purely practical point of view, I don't see many professions that reward you financially as a direct function of your intelligence. You may want to consider starting a business, since that will more closely related to your own effort and imagination. Good luck

not just intelligence but good luck trying to hold onto your job in engineering because *gasp* nearly ALL of it can be done remotely and usually is done so as companies hire indians on h1b visas displacing american workers to make sure money saved = quarterly profits boosted. only good thing about a majority of medicine is that you must be there in person to do it. i know some of it is done remotely such as reading scans, etc. but it hasn't caught up to being outsourced like engineering has. intelligence is one thing but be realistic - you need a job. you are not a 1%er who has inherited wealth and can live off investments as a proud bourgeoisie. engineering is just as bad as law where job security is null unless of course you are a top performer but the majority of people in life are in the middle on the bell curve. the great gatekeeper in medicine is the extensive amount of schooling coupled with controlled entries into pro. schooling by limiting seats. this is unlike law where an artsy girl (usually it's girls with their "i'm into art" accent) who majored in art history with a minor in women's studies can just show up into law school. law schools are so money hungry (or is it lsac?) that they have no limits on how many seats there are. the entire industry is awful unless of course you are a genius and know you will make good money. as i said, engineering is kaput thanks to those visas and remote work. that leaves medicine. most ppl. in the field need a desire to work there alongside the two reasons i mentioned. again, intelligence is not enough and should not matter most. you have to look at the job market too and luckily the medical industry controls licensing of docs far better than any other field.

Cute memes aside it's time to quit med school and get back to your life. The perks of being a doctor are access to the physicians lounge and telling ppl you're a doctor. Your peers will call you by your first name. Patients will forget your name entirely. And pretty soon MDs will be making as much as engineers anyway.

Reactions: 1 user