Leaving the state I attended Pharmacy School in?

Started by axelz165
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

axelz165

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I absolutely hate Florida. Period.

Unfortunately, I had to attend pharmacy school here for financial reasons (aka i'm poor and cannot afford OOS). However, I 100% want to relocate to a different state for a residency/job. Will i be at a disadvantage applying ot residencies/jobs in other states? Is there anything I can do to remedy this.
 
Get good grades... Get "involved" and do all that BS crap that students love to do to "set themselves apart".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I absolutely hate Florida. Period.

Unfortunately, I had to attend pharmacy school here for financial reasons (aka i'm poor and cannot afford OOS). However, I 100% want to relocate to a different state for a residency/job. Will i be at a disadvantage applying ot residencies/jobs in other states? Is there anything I can do to remedy this.
The only disadvantage you'll have is states that aren't strictly Naplex+mpje=license states. For example, California won't trust you to pass the CPJE and NY only offers the compounding exam every 6 months at NY pharmacy schools.
 
lived in central (tourist central)
went to school in north central (hipster/redneck central)
pharm school near the gulf (blahhh)
and i've heard nothing good about soflo.

The only place I haven't really experienced is the panhandle but that's pretty much an extension of georgia and alabama so i have no interest there.
 
lived in central (tourist central)
went to school in north central (hipster/redneck central)
pharm school near the gulf (blahhh)
and i've heard nothing good about soflo.

The only place I haven't really experienced is the panhandle but that's pretty much an extension of georgia and alabama so i have no interest there.

You've got that right about north central hahahaha. 🙂

Well, if the culture isn't for you, then you definitely need to move on. I always preferred Texas, Kentucky, and Washington to the other 22 or so states I've been to. New Mexico is nice if you like desert.
 
The biggest disadvantage is that many places will think you are just applying to get a job because you can't get one in Florida and that you will leave as soon as you get a Florida job. You will need to be convincing on why you are permanently planning to live in the area that you are applying for the job in (or at least permanently planning to live there for the foreseeable future.)
 
Get a job in a chain and ask hr about openings elsewhere. Despite the chicken little-ing on here. I routinely get hr postings about retail jobs in NY. While some of the places are rural hick areas most are not bad places to live.