Leaving wags--few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have accepted a position with a grocery store chain in my desired city so Monday i will be putting in my two weeks with walgreens.

I actually didnt hate working there but after a year and a half of trying to transfer with my DM constantly telling me just to stay and be an RXM in my current district to make me more competitive for a transfer (he just didnt want me to go, my district loses rph like crazy) i said enough was enough and began looking for jobs at places i may want to work and luckily it worked out for me.

This was my first job out of school, so 2 years now, and i have never left a real job before so i am just looking for some advice. I was planning on calling my DM monday morning and putting in my two weeks, and then letting my rxm and store manager know when i get to work monday afternoon.

How do i make sure i get my PTO paid out to me? i have around 65 hours of unused PTO right now
Is calling DM sufficient? I have no idea when he will be in my store again (well im sure hell pop up this week after i tell him im done)
What should i do as far as insurance? At new job it kicks in after 90 days. I was thinking of maybe trying to negotiate that to start right away---but i do not know if that is possible. Are there any other options besides COBRA? i am 26, no health issues so i want to have something but i dont need anything too detailed as i dont realy take and meds, etc.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have accepted a position with a grocery store chain in my desired city so Monday i will be putting in my two weeks with walgreens.

I actually didnt hate working there but after a year and a half of trying to transfer with my DM constantly telling me just to stay and be an RXM in my current district to make me more competitive for a transfer (he just didnt want me to go, my district loses rph like crazy) i said enough was enough and began looking for jobs at places i may want to work and luckily it worked out for me.

This was my first job out of school, so 2 years now, and i have never left a real job before so i am just looking for some advice. I was planning on calling my DM monday morning and putting in my two weeks, and then letting my rxm and store manager know when i get to work monday afternoon.

How do i make sure i get my PTO paid out to me? i have around 65 hours of unused PTO right now
Is calling DM sufficient? I have no idea when he will be in my store again (well im sure hell pop up this week after i tell him im done)
What should i do as far as insurance? At new job it kicks in after 90 days. I was thinking of maybe trying to negotiate that to start right away---but i do not know if that is possible. Are there any other options besides COBRA? i am 26, no health issues so i want to have something but i dont need anything too detailed as i dont realy take and meds, etc.

thank you!

Regarding health insurance, I got the cheapest plan I could find from the marketplace in my state when I was transitioning between jobs to make sure I was covered and compliant with the healthcare law (it wasn't super cheap, but it was definitely cheaper than COBRA). I would recommend browsing around healthcare.gov and/or if your state has a marketplace set up, getting in touch with one of their consultants. In my experience they have been pretty helpful at letting me know what my options are. I don't have any experience with wags, but if their HR department is accessible/helpful at all, they would also be your best bet for getting more info on health insurance options.

Keep records of the amount of PTO you have. Confirm with payroll/HR that they will pay out your unused PTO and confirm at what rate. Take down names and document all these conversations.

In addition to calling your DM, I would also write out a resignation letter and email it/hand it to him to put in your personnel file. In the letter, you might want to provide some details, in a diplomatic and professional manner, about why you left the job. Something along the lines of how you truly enjoyed working for the company and had a great experience, but due to such and such circumstances, you need to pursue this other job. Mention that you appreciate the opportunity of working at wags, hope to stay in touch, etc. etc. Google some templates for resignation letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you I will look for templates !

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I had a trip planned in October for 4 days in Denver. Is this something I can bring up to them? I'm not expecting to get PTO or anything but wondering if they might honor those days off

Also I had a trip planned in October for 4 days in Denver. Is this something I can bring up to them? I'm not expecting to get PTO or anything but wondering if they might honor those days off

It is a reasonable thing to ask, especially if you have all the travel booked, etc.

thank you again for the advice, everything went well and now i am counting down the days! Feeling very excited to finally move where i want to and to have found this job with a lunch break and no drive thru. It will be roughly a 12k paycut before tax but from waht others have told me that have left wag or cvs it is worth it. My cost of living is going to go way down when i move so that will also make up for it.