Leaving your current attending job... who to use as references?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only into my first year as an attending and already looking for a new job! I am relatively happy where I am currently, but due to family reasons I am looking to move out west by August 2013. I have already started looking for positions out in California, but have not told my current job yet for two reasons:
a) it is 9-10 months away and I am unsure as to when exactly I will be leaving
b) there are lots of scheduling issues with my current job (understaffed) and I am a bit afraid that they will stick me with a terrible schedule once they know that I'll be leaving

This makes it a bit awkward as some of the spots I have applied for are asking for references. I can list prior attendings that I have worked with in residency, but who else do you guys list as references when your current job does not know you are looking? Can I list prior co-residents?

I am considering telling my chair that I will be leaving for this reason alone...

Members don't see this ad.

They deserve to know in advance. If they're already understaffed, it may take them longer to recruit someone to fill your spot, so the sooner they know, the sooner they can start looking.
Your chair or director should also give you a letter. It is a red flag to not have a reference from your current job.

They deserve to know in advance. If they're already understaffed, it may take them longer to recruit someone to fill your spot, so the sooner they know, the sooner they can start looking.
Your chair or director should also give you a letter. It is a red flag to not have a reference from your current job.

I know my situation is different, but I'm also curious as to what people do if they are looking for jobs locally and are not sure if they will be leaving? Do you let your chair know anyway and have other hospitals contact him/her?