Leavings Masters early for PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dearprudence101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding it anywhere. I have applied and been accepted to several neuroscience/psychology Masters programs. Which is exciting! However, my true goal like many others is to obtain a PhD in a clinical psychology.

Has anyone ever applied to a PhD program only a semester into their masters program? For example, I'm starting a masters program this Fall, so I would apply to PhD programs by December. I understand that this may look like I'm ditching the program I'm in, but I don't see it as a problem if you're qualified and your long term goal is to obtain a PhD. How do you all feel? Do you know of anyone that has done this?

FYI, I didn't apply to any PhD programs this cycle due to time limitations and my GRE score (which I plan on retaking this summer).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So what's the rationale in entering a master's program to basically add one semester to your CV prior to applying to a PhD program (which actually won't be on your transcripts as many apps will be submitted before the end of your semester)? You can improve your GRE scores without this step.

I did this, though not in psychology (another social science discipline). It wasn't planned--I was going to finish the masters and take my time, but I got pushed hard by one of my profs to apply to a PhD that first term and I did. I would have benefitted from slowing things down and beefing up the CV before entering a PhD program--probably would have gotten a better funding package, amongst other things. A big mistake for me, but not necessarily for you.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the rationale in entering a master's program to basically add one semester to your CV prior to applying to a PhD program (which actually won't be on your transcripts as many apps will be submitted before the end of your semester)? You can improve your GRE scores without this step.

This.

It doesn't make any sense, and will probably look bad to professors that know you are applying from a two year master's program.

I would just wait a year and then apply. You'll have more experience, more marks, and new LoRs from your master's experience who can speak to your performance at the graduate level. Applying in the first year of a master's while still adjusting to being in the program seems like a surefire way to unnecessarily lower your first semester marks.

I also don't understand why you would do this (enter a masters program, apply for PhD programs right after you start with the intention to ditch the program) on purpose. It makes no sense at all.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding it anywhere. I have applied and been accepted to several neuroscience/psychology Masters programs. Which is exciting! However, my true goal like many others is to obtain a PhD in a clinical psychology.

Has anyone ever applied to a PhD program only a semester into their masters program? For example, I'm starting a masters program this Fall, so I would apply to PhD programs by December. I understand that this may look like I'm ditching the program I'm in, but I don't see it as a problem if you're qualified and your long term goal is to obtain a PhD. How do you all feel? Do you know of anyone that has done this?

FYI, I didn't apply to any PhD programs this cycle due to time limitations and my GRE score (which I plan on retaking this summer).

Thanks

I did exactly this! I started an MA program part-time last Fall, applied to doctoral programs in clinical psychology first semester, and have now been given several acceptance offers. I will hopefully be transferring some of my earned credits. Contrary to other comments on this thread, I feel that this choice helped me significantly. I often brought it up during interviews, explaining that ..."while I'm working full-time in research, I wanted to continue to build on my educational foundation." Plus, it saved me a bunch of time and money!

Good luck!

I don't think it would make sense to apply broadly for reasons that folks have already mentioned.

However, if there is a very specific opportunity that you are aware of that may be a good fit (i.e., you know the POI somehow or have an inside track in some way, or you know this year the POI is taking people and they don't other years) and it is a position that you really want, it may make sense to apply selectively.

Ultimately if you are successful in applying and securing a position (which is a position that you WANT), you may save yourself a year in the long run. But if it is not something that you find highly desirable or that you don't have confidence that you will be considered seriously for it (inside track), then I wouldn't bother and would wait until next year.

Just my $00.02 :cool:

Last edited:
I know someone who did this. Ultimately, he was very happy with his decision to leave the M.S. program to go begin his PhD. However, as others have mentioned, each situation is unique. You'll have to evaluate what the personal and professional consequences would be for you and decide if it's worth it in either direction.

Another idea is to try and attend the program for the Summer semester, then you would have more experience and know the faculty better who write your letters.

I did exactly this! I started an MA program part-time last Fall, applied to doctoral programs in clinical psychology first semester, and have now been given several acceptance offers. I will hopefully be transferring some of my earned credits. Contrary to other comments on this thread, I feel that this choice helped me significantly. I often brought it up during interviews, explaining that ..."while I'm working full-time in research, I wanted to continue to build on my educational foundation." Plus, it saved me a bunch of time and money!

Good luck!
I assumed the OP was enrolling in full-time programs. OP if the programs are part-time then it might not be such a bad idea. But at the same time, I think taking a graduate level statistics course, and enrolling in 1-2 relevant graduate level psych courses in the fall would accomplish the same thing without committing to a master's program.

I also don't understand why you would do this (enter a masters program, apply for PhD programs right after you start with the intention to ditch the program) on purpose. It makes no sense at all.
I guess it's a backup option for me. It's too risky to wait it out, apply to PhD, and then not get in.

Another idea is to try and attend the program for the Summer semester, then you would have more experience and know the faculty better who write your letters.
Interesting you should mention this. I've actually already been volunteering in a lab with one of the programs I was accepted into. I could potentially do this all through summer and continue into the fall. That would be develop a better relationship and give me more confidence to apply for PhD this year. I just see nothing wrong with trying. I'm 25 and starting a masters for two years, and then continuing a PhD kind of scares me. I would love to get started as soon as I can. By the way, I'm a career changer.

I was in an MA program where our director actually strongly suggested that we apply to and attend PhD programs without finishing the masters. Many people ended up applying and leaving after a semester or two. I think it was helpful for them because they were able to get additional research experience and have some grad level courses (and possibly higher GPAs) under their belt. It can be an expensive option, though.

Don't listen to the naysayers. I did this. Was uncertain when I entered masters as to the direction I wanted to take. Decided to go phd route. On internship now - and no regrets!

I guess it's a backup option for me. It's too risky to wait it out, apply to PhD, and then not get in.

I was in an MA program where our director actually strongly suggested that we apply to and attend PhD programs without finishing the masters. Many people ended up applying and leaving after a semester or two. I think it was helpful for them because they were able to get additional research experience and have some grad level courses (and possibly higher GPAs) under their belt. It can be an expensive option, though.

Okay, it makes sense if you're intending it to be a real option--i.e., if you don't get into a doctoral program, then you'll complete the masters degree. Or, the program will give you real experience that will contribute to your doctoral application in, oh, one semester/quarter (3 months). I don't see anything wrong with applying while in a masters program, just that it makes no sense to do it intentionally because it simply gives you something to do--it is not the best way to beef up your CV and obviously it is expensive (without the guarantee of transferring credits).