LECOM-B vs LECOM-SH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorfann14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Seton Hill and I will find out about Bradenton tomorrow, but I will have to mail my deposit for SH out by about tommorow. I am on the fence as to which I should choose if I am accepted tomorrow. Any advice from people who have made this decision would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Bradenton near the beach?

Bradenton = No snow + beach nearby.

Seton Hill = Cold winters with snow.

Seriously, gatorfann, you'll get PBL and a LECOM diploma at both places. It seems there are two deciding factors:

1) Location - weather, community, local resources/recreational opportunities

2) Clinical rotation opportunities - Does Bradenton have more established rotation sites? Obviously, SH is so new no one has started rotations yet so this is a big question mark.

I didn't apply to Bradenton so I can't say much about it. But I need some classmates next year with me at Seton Hill. ;)

Isn't Bradenton near the beach?

Bradenton = No snow + beach nearby.

Seton Hill = Cold winters with snow.

Seriously, gatorfann, you'll get PBL and a LECOM diploma at both places. It seems there are two deciding factors:

1) Location - weather, community, local resources/recreational opportunities

2) Clinical rotation opportunities - Does Bradenton have more established rotation sites? Obviously, SH is so new no one has started rotations yet so this is a big question mark.

I didn't apply to Bradenton so I can't say much about it. But I need some classmates next year with me at Seton Hill. ;)

well for me I kind of want to live in the snow for a while because i've lived in FL my entire life and have never even seen snow. I also like that SH has rotation sites at the UPMC hospitals. My gf(maybe soon to be fiance) is about to graduate and wants to pursue a graduate degree and that is something that bradenton doesn't offer.

Bradenton has the better board scores(compared to erie-PBL) and it is about 20 minutes from my hometown. It also has good but not as good(IMO) rotation sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gatorfann, since both are LECOM locations, I think you might consider calling SH and asking if you can wait a day to find out from Bradenton. I could see them saying no if you were asking about another school, but in your case, the LECOM system will get your $1,500 regardless of what you choose, so they might bend a little for you.

Real life in snowy areas is nothing like on TV with big, beautiful snowflakes and kids playing everywhere. It is very cold, very slippery, and persistent for months. In all honesty, I'd recommend visiting a snowy area to appease your desires to see snow.

Gatorfann, since both are LECOM locations, I think you might consider calling SH and asking if you can wait a day to find out from Bradenton. I could see them saying no if you were asking about another school, but in your case, the LECOM system will get your $1,500 regardless of what you choose, so they might bend a little for you.

Real life in snowy areas is nothing like on TV with big, beautiful snowflakes and kids playing everywhere. It is very cold, very slippery, and persistent for months. In all honesty, I'd recommend visiting a snowy area to appease your desires to see snow.

HAHA i'm not too worried about the weather situation at either school, it's just an added experience for me

Have you ever driven a car in the snow? To me, driving on icy roads is the worst (and scariest) part about winter. :scared:

But then again, I'm old. :)

I have not, but I can only imagine how scary it is driving around there in the winter. There are some steep hills in western PA especially in Pittsburgh

I could have swore someone mentioned that the $1500 deposit can be transferred between LECOM schools.

My take on it (and why I can't decide between Erie and Bradenton, assuming I get accepted to both).

Bradenton has no snow you have to drive in, which is huge for me. On the other hand the Cost of living in Bradenton is much more inflated meaning more debt.

well for me I kind of want to live in the snow for a while because i've lived in FL my entire life and have never even seen snow.

Snow ****ing blows. Try driving down the Dan Ryan Expressway for an 8am meeting the morning after a 6in+ snowfall and you'll smash your head through the dashboard for being so dumb as to pick a school based on the fact that you can make snow angels for a few months of the year.

Snow ****ing blows. Try driving down the Dan Ryan Expressway for an 8am meeting the morning after a 6in+ snowfall and you'll smash your head through the dashboard for being so dumb as to pick a school based on the fact that you can make snow angels for a few months of the year.

Speaking from experience, one snow/ice related car accident is all it takes to de-romanticize snow for you.

These are precisely the reasons that I have declined my Erie interview and am sticking with Bradenton.

Also, don't forget that you can do rotations wherever you want, so if you miss FL/PA too much, you can go back there for 3rd/4th year.

Speaking from experience, one snow/ice related car accident is all it takes to de-romanticize snow for you.

...or walking out of your front door at 7:48 trying to rush to 8:00 class only to find a fresh 6" on your driveway, your windshield covered in frost, and your battery dead.

I love the beautiful picture all of you are painting for me haha
But maybe I said it wrong originally it's not getting to live in the snow it's more about getting to experience new things. I've only ever visited the north but it is a Whole different ballgame compared to sw Florida. I want to be able to experience that and decided if sw Florida is truly where I want to live and practice for the rest of my life. But that being said Bradenton/Sarasota is home and it's hard for me to leave.

Ahhhhhh!!!!:eek:

I love the beautiful picture all of you are painting for me haha
But maybe I said it wrong originally it's not getting to live in the snow it's more about getting to experience new things. I've only ever visited the north but it is a Whole different ballgame compared to sw Florida. I want to be able to experience that and decided if sw Florida is truly where I want to live and practice for the rest of my life. But that being said Bradenton/Sarasota is home and it's hard for me to leave.

Ahhhhhh!!!!:eek:

come to nj ;)

well for me I kind of want to live in the snow for a while because i've lived in FL my entire life and have never even seen snow. I also like that SH has rotation sites at the UPMC hospitals. My gf(maybe soon to be fiance) is about to graduate and wants to pursue a graduate degree and that is something that bradenton doesn't offer.

Bradenton has the better board scores(compared to erie-PBL) and it is about 20 minutes from my hometown. It also has good but not as good(IMO) rotation sites.

There is no guarantee you will get the UPMC hospitals if you go to SH. For this year, they are picking spots with my class at Erie so we all get access to those UPMC hospitals if we choose to. It would be easier for us if SH had those Pittsburgh sites to choose from so we at Erie could get the other sites in the state but that is not how its gonna work. So we will see how the rotation selection goes with SH when we do it over the next couple weeks. Send a PM to DoctaJMa (I think this is how she spells it) because she is a OMSII at SH

Bradenton has the highest board passage rate and I think highest national average.

haha me too. and man, all this talk about snow is making me wonder if i should still go to the lecom erie interview

Go and put down SH like me. From what the locals tell me there is much less snow there.

i just thought about another downside to snow and cold weather. i woke up this morning with a sore throat and feelin kinda sick. with snow and the cold weather, there is a good chance u can get sick and it would be really horrible to have to study 8 hours a day like that.

u make a decision yet?

i just thought about another downside to snow and cold weather. i woke up this morning with a sore throat and feelin kinda sick. with snow and the cold weather, there is a good chance u can get sick and it would be really horrible to have to study 8 hours a day like that.

u make a decision yet?

I sent in my SH deposit but im still not 100% i'm not going to switch since they let you transfer deposits