LECOM background check-info for California student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madeit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any new or current LECOM students that have obtained the mandatory statewide criminal records check in California? The California department of Justice has not been very helpful and was hoping someone may have information. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM wants a criminal background check? That's really odd. None of the schools I applied to asked for that.

Yep, they need a background check and it is kind of a pain because they require you to obtain it on you own and provide instructions on how to do so in only a few northeastern states, not for those of us out west.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it....i didnt get any information about gettting a background check

Tis true you have to get one. My buddy had to take one before June or something like that. He also had to do a drug screen. You might want to go talk to the school distirct. They have to do those for teachers they might direct you to where to go to get one.

i just got the package for lecom for the criminal background check, i don't quite get it. i'm trying to find a way to get the information but i live a few states away from where i lived most of my life and its hard to find information. i kind of understand the reason for background checks, but this seems a little extreme to me. anyways, anyone who finds out how to get this information, please pass it along. thanks

ac

What's imvolved? A simple form to fill out at the local police department?

What other schools require a background check besides LECOM? Or a better way to put it would be how many other schools do a background check behind your back? Either way....this is crazy....first of all...it costs like $90 to get your own drug test done and for official results...and i'd imagine it'd cost around $10-$15 to get your background check done......screw LECOM...i thought I could handle the mandatory attendance and dress code...now they go prying into your lives...seems more of a millitary school to me.....

Having been thoroughly checked when I received my permit, I would hope that my FL Concealed Weapons Permit would serve as proof enough of a clear background. As for the drug test, if they want it, then they can pay for it. They charge enough <bogus in some cases> fees as it is to be able to afford that avenue if they wish it.

Turns out that they do want it, and they won't pay for it, so if you want to go there, shell out the bucks. Its pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Also Pennsylvania is a crazy state, I also had to have a background check for a job I had here this summer. Its not LECOM, its the state. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the malpractice insurance they take out on you as a student. I bet that being able to prove that they aren't insuring felons or pedophiles or junkies keeps the premiums low. Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

Here's the big picture...there are a lot of inconveniences in the world, but taking the attitude that "if they want it, they can pay for it" is not going to help you. I've learned that its better to pick your battles. And this one is just not really that big of a deal, it would seem.

And as far as the drug testing, again I think its for insurance purposes. I'm totally against drug testing without cause, but its NOT A BIG DEAL!! Do what you need to do to pass it, and they never test you again. Why get all worked up about it? Believe me, once you start school you will find plenty of things to be stressed out about. Save your sanity now and don't stress over unimportant things!

Nobody is getting bent out of shape about the background check as far a I can tell. All I am interested in is how to get it. Additionally, the drug screening should be simple enough to obtain throught a routine physical.

I am just concerned that they have all of these fees and then they keep wanting more. However, if this is a requirement in PA, then it should not affect me as I am going to the Bradenton campus. Florida has no such requirement that I have heard of. The drug test I probably will have to do though.

Oh..i'm not getting worked up over it...but does PCOM make you do this as well? I just feel that if they require it....they should take responsibility for it....it's not that easy to get a background check...have u ever tried going to the cook county circuit court in downtown chicago? if you have...u never wanna g..o back....

You know...after a $1500 NON-refundable deposit...they shouldnt have to put the students through more ****....its not easy to dish out that kinda money

Members don't see this ad :)
Your deposit is applied to your tuition, so it's not entirely wasted. Wst...why did you have so much trouble getting one in IL? I requested the form online, went and had my fingerprints taken(which any police office can do) and then sent it in.

Yea ..you're right...I'm just being lazy!! after all....its nothing compared to filling out supplementaries, taking the mcat...etc.

Many hospitals (especially where ever you do your peds) may require you to have had a background check....I dont know if this why lecom wants it that early (WA state was really easy, online form and everything....took 5 minutes), but it could be....so that when its time for rotations...you wont be scrambling.
stomper

Call Steve Kovacs with LECOM security, he'll give you the # you need to call. As a CA resident you have to go through the FBI because CA has laws regarding security checks.

Thanks StacyG...I'm not surprised California does not help. I'll call Steven Kovacs. It would be nice if LECOM accepted outside agencies that do these kind of things rather than an official government source, but oh well.

Out of curiousity how long does Lecom give you to complete the backround check and the drug test. 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

I didn't get my background check officially completed until after orientation started. I agree that in a perfect world, if the school wants the info, they should be responsible for getting it/paying for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in many instances. For example, many hospitals now require a zaricella titer, they won't just accept documentation of having had the virus at some point. I'd love to call up my first hospital (I think its West Penn in Pittsburgh) and tell them that if they want it, they better pay for it. But somehow, I don't think that would go over too well....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by WstSdDesi
......screw LECOM...i thought I could handle the mandatory attendance and dress code...now they go prying into your lives...seems more of a millitary school to me.....

The big thing that turned me off about the school was that it felt very stifling and regimented. It really did feel like a military school (Yes I know what a military school is like for I did attend one). Liked the students did'nt feeling like putting up with the admin.

On the flip side I have a very good friend who attends LECOM and he absolutely loves it. Goes to show differnt storkes for different folks.

So is this background check for the Erie campus only or both? I have heard of no such requirements in FL (generally, Florida is pretty sensible with its laws). I can understand taking a drug test (though I detest it from a Constitutional standpoint).

It's not the state that requires the background check. Lecom's administration does, so I would imagine that Florida will have the same requirements.

As far as Lecom being "regimented", it really doesn't feel that way when you are there. Speaking from experience, it's far less regimented than most professional workplaces. The dress code seems to be the major sticking point for a lot of people. I know that going to college classes in a baseball cap and sweats was convenient. However, you are now training to be a physician. If you look the part, you are more likely to act the part. If you don't like the dress code, there are 20 other schools that don't have one. Don't apply to Lecom. However, if the dress code is your deciding factor, then I think that you may be a bit shallow... but that's my opinion. The key factor is, find a school where you are comfortable and where you think that you will learn the best. Chances are, that's where you belong.

I have heard of no such requirements from PCOM. I think it is pretty screwed up if you ask me. Although no one has. I can understand if you are going for a job and they want it. Almost every job I have had wanted all of this. (e.g. Military, Top telecom firm)

What sucks is finding out this late in the game. They should send those forms with your acceptance letter that way if you choose not to comply you can turn down the offer. I know I would have out of principal. Seems like John ASScroft has got his patriot act into every thread of society. But then again they are a private institution and if they asked for your firstborn, well that is extreme, but if they wanted you to... Crap I think this is as far as they can push it without compromising constitutional rights.

Well I guess it could be worse. They could have a curfew, weekly urinalysis, and make you clean the school building (including the crappers). Oh wait that is what happs in the military.

Good Luck to all of you at LECOM. I guess it really is only 2 years.

Originally posted by raptor5
I have heard of no such requirements from PCOM. I think it is pretty screwed up if you ask me. Although no one has. I can understand if you are going for a job and they want it. Almost every job I have had wanted all of this. (e.g. Military, Top telecom firm)

What sucks is finding out this late in the game. They should send those forms with your acceptance letter that way if you choose not to comply you can turn down the offer. I know I would have out of principal. Seems like John ASScroft has got his patriot act into every thread of society. But then again they are a private institution and if they asked for your firstborn, well that is extreme, but if they wanted you to... Crap I think this is as far as they can push it without compromising constitutional rights.

Well I guess it could be worse. They could have a curfew, weekly urinalysis, and make you clean the school building (including the crappers). Oh wait that is what happs in the military.

Good Luck to all of you at LECOM. I guess it really is only 2 years.

Truely its not a big deal....what are people hiding? This was required before the Patriot act....yes I had to do it BEFORE 9/11. I also had to have it done before I worked in a high school.
If you cant get it done before school starts...or are having trouble LECOM will still take you.
Hospitals will check much more than a background check.....they want Bloodwork.
stomper

Yes, I regret ever starting this thread, just should have called the head of security at LECOM. Raptor5 must either enjoy conflict or have some sort of resentment of LECOM. Either way, I won't miss someone like that next year.

Really, I just want to reiterate, Lecom is not that restrictive. Every job that I ever applied for required a drug test, and several required a background check. While at Lecom, you will care for all sorts of patients. Lecom would be responsible if they let a child molester perform a pediatrics rotation, wouldn't they? Would you want someone taking care of grandma who had been convicted of a violent crime? How about having a junkie in a pharmacy school? It just makes sense... particularly in PA's world of constant litigation.... for the school to protect itself.

Yes, I regret ever starting this thread, just should have called the head of security at LECOM. Raptor5 must either enjoy conflict or have some sort of resentment of LECOM. Either way, I won't miss someone like that next year.

Yes I do enjoy conflict. somewhat. Anyway, I do not have any reason to resent LECOM. I was just providing my opinion. The school can do whatever they want, which is obvious. As for the students, you gotta do what you gotta do. If it does not bother you then great it is not an issue but it is your view not the right one or the one everyone must share as I know many do not share mine. It bothers me though, and I have nothing to hide.

Good Luck to you all
Raptor5