Lecom-bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karla0622

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all of you who have been accepted to LECOM-BRADENTON, Congrats ! :clap: and to those of you who are awaiting interviews or just considering choosing LECOM.
I am a 1st year med student at LECOM-BRADENTON and I know how hard it is to be in the moment you are now. I was there not too long ago, it will soon pass. And the road that lays ahead, altough scary at times, its not as bad as some of you may think.

I wanted to post here to let you know that I would like to offer some advice, or answer general questions for anyone that is interested in LECOM. I am not too familiar with LECOM Erie, but if you have questions about LECOM-BRADENTON, the Sarasota/Bradenton area, or just random inquiries, feel free to contact me and I will try to do my best to help out. Email me at [email protected]

Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can you describe the interview process such as how the interview goes. Is it laid back? What kind of prepartion do you recommend? Do they try to insult you and see how you respond to stress? Thank you.

i'm considering applying...do u think its too late to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
gsrimport said:
Hi, can you describe the interview process such as how the interview goes. Is it laid back? What kind of prepartion do you recommend? Do they try to insult you and see how you respond to stress? Thank you.

Like my friend Karla :) I'm also an MSI at LECOM-Bradenton. We are working on starting our Big Brothers and Big Sisters program which will pair us up with incoming students to help them out with whatever. Feel free to PM or email me with questions as well.

As for the interview - it is quite laid back I believe. Our faculty down here are very nice. For preparation, I recommend "H" - jk, look over the interview feedback section of SDN to see what questions may be asked. Be prepared to answer those. It is a low-stress interview, certainly no insulting.

Hi,
I got accepted to LECOM-B a couple of weeks ago, am really excited about the PBL program over there. Just need to stop being lazy and mail in the deposit soon :) Hopefully I get to meet you guys next year. The big brother/ big sister program sounds really great. I probably would need some info on housing/car/living necessities later, but I'll ask them later when I figure out what I need :)

CHxyz said:
Hi,
I got accepted to LECOM-B a couple of weeks ago, am really excited about the PBL program over there. Just need to stop being lazy and mail in the deposit soon :) Hopefully I get to meet you guys next year. The big brother/ big sister program sounds really great. I probably would need some info on housing/car/living necessities later, but I'll ask them later when I figure out what I need :)

Congratulations! Look forward to meeting you. We'll have that up and running probably in the new year.

do you know how much a 1 bedroom apartment would cost in Bradenton?

robo77 said:
do you know how much a 1 bedroom apartment would cost in Bradenton?

Depends what part of Bradenton. In the area most students live, and in my opinion the ideal area, a 1 bedroom would be around $700. You can go cheaper though if you live in another area, as low as $500.

and for 700 buck a month do you get access to as gym/pool anything like that? Are these apartments, the ones that are for about 700 pretty spacious. and if I have a car, how long will it take me to get to school. And also, a question that does not pertain to the apartments....do you think that because lecom -b is a new school, will that impact being able to get a good residency, I mean their reputation has not been established yet..

robo77 said:
and for 700 buck a month do you get access to as gym/pool anything like that? Are these apartments, the ones that are for about 700 pretty spacious. and if I have a car, how long will it take me to get to school. And also, a question that does not pertain to the apartments....do you think that because lecom -b is a new school, will that impact being able to get a good residency, I mean their reputation has not been established yet..

Robo,

I am also an MSI here at LECOM-B, and as far apts go, Colonial Grand in Lakewood Ranch runs in the $700+ range for a 1 bed. CG has a workout room with a couple free-weights, some benches, treaddies, stairmaster and a decent set of Nautilus machines. They have a nice pool, gated complex, and is only about 8-10 minute drive to school. To me, and approximately the other 20 students that live here, it's a great place with excellent management. If you want any other info, pm me.
And as far as getting a competitive residency-LECOM-B is working diligently obtain a variety of rotations around the area...give nicedreams a pm, he knows more about that stuff than I do. Finally, one important thing about med school-it's what YOU make of it. I am fully planning on going into Ortho, a very competitive residency, and what you make of yourself during med school is up to the individual. Good luck!

thank you very much for the info. Do you know if it is possible to do rotations outside the FL area. Would it be possible to do rotations in NY or PA or even VA. I do not min being in FL for some time, but would like to have a chance to rotate closer to home during my 3rd and 4th years.

Thanks

robo77 said:
thank you very much for the info. Do you know if it is possible to do rotations outside the FL area. Would it be possible to do rotations in NY or PA or even VA. I do not min being in FL for some time, but would like to have a chance to rotate closer to home during my 3rd and 4th years.

Thanks

Hey Robo,
During your 3rd and 4th year you can do your rotations in 60+ locations and the staff is working to find new locations to accomodate your needs. Most of these locations are on the east coast all the way up to new york, so don't think that b/c you are in FL you have to stay here. For example I am interested in rotations in a state that is not yet involved with LECOM and the staff has agreed to work with me to try to obtain that.

In response to the other posts regarding apartments, I am in one of the other colonial apartments (~10 min. from school). Approximatelly 12 students live there, we have the same facilities as they have told you. The school is preparing a list for the new students with info on the different apartments in the area.

I am glad that my classmates have been offering good advice to you guys, please ask as many questions as you like, we are glad to help you

robo77 said:

Thanks
Robo,
All students at LECOM-B can do any of the rotations offered by LECOM-Erie. I would suggest checking out lecom's website for a list of the various sites both campuses can rotate at.

Cheers,

Foramen spinosum

Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks to everyone that has contributed to answering my questions. I am very happy that there are plenty of moderately priced places to live near school. What about the social scene? Are there places to go when you do not feel like being close to school, like after exams when you want to blow some steam...I currently live in the area that is 15 minutes away from downtown, so whenever I do not feel like being stuck in suburbs, i can always drive and be in the city.

robo77 said:
Many thanks to everyone that has contributed to answering my questions. I am very happy that there are plenty of moderately priced places to live near school. What about the social scene? Are there places to go when you do not feel like being close to school, like after exams when you want to blow some steam...I currently live in the area that is 15 minutes away from downtown, so whenever I do not feel like being stuck in suburbs, i can always drive and be in the city.

Oh my GOD yes. :) Many a good nights on the beach scene. Basically, we the class have established quite a few hangouts: Geckos, Linksters, Daiquiri Deck, Cha Cha Coconuts, the Lost Kangaroo. Good times, good times. Oh, not to forget about power hour at Applebees.

Joey
MS-I
LECOM-B

Xanderain said:
Oh my GOD yes. :) Many a good nights on the beach scene. Basically, we the class have established quite a few hangouts: Geckos, Linksters, Daiquiri Deck, Cha Cha Coconuts, the Lost Kangaroo. Good times, good times. Oh, not to forget about power hour at Applebees.

Joey
MS-I
LECOM-B

It's true we can have a good time, but I would temper what Joey says if you are coming from a big city. Bradenton/Sarasota is NOT a big city, it's a moderately sized town, and a mostly retirement one at that. There are places to go, but dont expect a downtown area with a lineup of bars. Everything's spaced out. Tampa is 45 minutes away.

I recently visited Lake Erie in PA and did some research on some other schools that invited me for an interview like VCOM in VA and Pikeville. These places are in the middle of nowhere, Lake Erie in PA is very depressing to me, I almost did not want to wake up to go to the interview in the morning after driving there for 6 hours. Some students at school were very excited, they said that Lake Erie PA is comparable to places where they lived before med school, but I totally cannot relate to that scene, all the cows and sheep on the hills and bars where everyone has a plastic cup next to them so that they can spit tobacco...scary times I tell you.

I don't see any cows and sheep in my backyard

robo77 said:
I recently visited Lake Erie in PA and did some research on some other schools that invited me for an interview like VCOM in VA and Pikeville. These places are in the middle of nowhere, Lake Erie in PA is very depressing to me, I almost did not want to wake up to go to the interview in the morning after driving there for 6 hours. Some students at school were very excited, they said that Lake Erie PA is comparable to places where they lived before med school, but I totally cannot relate to that scene, all the cows and sheep on the hills and bars where everyone has a plastic cup next to them so that they can spit tobacco...scary times I tell you.

Noah's right, some people will come here from NYC or San Francisco, and think this place is the end of the world. But yeah, I know what you mean... I interviewed at UNECOM, WVSOM, Pikeville, and up in Erie, and all were fairly depressing and isolated. Having lived in Florida all my life, I can relate to the area down here better (even with the few quirks I've noticed). There are lots of very upscale areas, and plenty of stores/resources. While the school itself is out in the cow pastures, its like a mile or two from restaurants/shopping center, etc. Trust me, Bradenton is not like Pikeville/WVSOM/UNECOM at all. There's more to do here then hang out at a Super Walmart (like the beach). :)

Joey
MS-I
LECOM-B

My visit to Erie did not produce any cow or sheep sightings! Of course, I probably was not looking for them. If traveling to the area expecting a hayseed country setting, I am sure you could spot several barn yard animals if you look hard enough. Personally, I loved the area and school. Guess it comes down to a matter of preferance, but I do suggest checking it out before you write it off as "in the middle of nowhere" :rolleyes: I am sure people will disagree with middle of nowhere

I think Bradenton/Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch is a great place - it's not NYC or Chicago, but it's not Pikeville, KY either. Not that Pikeville is bad, I haven't been there, but I imagine it's rather rural. It's suburban here - there are things to do and cool places to go, but it's also relaxing and laid back because it's not urban. It's certainly not depressing. And we spit our tobacco on the floor, we don't use no stinkin' cups.

it is so funny because I drove to Lake Erie PA and did not fly, and a good thing that I dcided to drive. I went from urban to rural to something that I did not existed in this country. Not to ridicule anyone that loves max. rural setting, but I felt like Bradenton had lots of open spaces, made it easier to breathe, and it is also warm and sunny and apartments have pools and plenty of gyms...so yeah, looks like Bradenton it will be for me...unless PCOM and NYCOM finally decide to look at their stacks.

Hello and happy new year! I applied to LECOM Bradenton and was just wondering what you thought of the problem based learning program that they have there? How does it work out w/o lectures? What do the curriculum/exams look like???

:) Your reply really does help. i have to admit, I am a bit skeptical; but I guess Ill worry about that if Im accepted. :D Just out of curiousity, what courses do you all take in the second year? I saw the curriculum on the website and those courses really seem like 1st yr courses(embryo, histo...).

Thanks again!

I am considering LECOM-B for 2006. How do you specify to which branch of LECOM you want to apply? I searched on their website, but only found a few different entrance requirements/expectations.

Thanks.

Thanks Yasmeen.

I have been on the aacomas website a bunch, but haven't gone to the application site yet, since I was not yet ready to submit anything. I guess it can't hurt to check it out right. :idea:

Hi, I interviewed at LECOM Brandenton on the 14th of January and just got my acceptance letter today! I was wondering if any of the 4th year students were looking to sell their houses there in Bradenton. I'll be driving down there on the 28th of January to spend the weekend looking for houses :)

karla0622 said:
This thread is for all of you who have been accepted to LECOM-BRADENTON, Congrats ! :clap: and to those of you who are awaiting interviews or just considering choosing LECOM.
I am a 1st year med student at LECOM-BRADENTON and I know how hard it is to be in the moment you are now. I was there not too long ago, it will soon pass. And the road that lays ahead, altough scary at times, its not as bad as some of you may think.

I wanted to post here to let you know that I would like to offer some advice, or answer general questions for anyone that is interested in LECOM. I am not too familiar with LECOM Erie, but if you have questions about LECOM-BRADENTON, the Sarasota/Bradenton area, or just random inquiries, feel free to contact me and I will try to do my best to help out. Email me at [email protected]

Good luck to you all.

tlaurick said:
Hi, I interviewed at LECOM Brandenton on the 14th of January and just got my acceptance letter today! I was wondering if any of the 4th year students were looking to sell their houses there in Bradenton. I'll be driving down there on the 28th of January to spend the weekend looking for houses :)

Well...Lecom Bradenton opened in 2004...so there are no 4th year students as of now :p

I had an interview on 1/14 and I thought it went really well, but today I got a letter saying that I am on HOLD and i will find out in 30 days. I am totally bummed out since i really had my heart set on Bradenton. What does it mean to be on HOLD? I dont understand what the extra 30 days is for... is this good or bad? Wouldnt it have been better to be put on a waitlist. The application process really is MISERABLE. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

ChelsieB said:
Hello all you LECOMers (Florida). I've probably seen or met you since my boyfriend goes to school there and I've visited many times and shadowed for a day. ANYWAYS, I had an interview on 1/14 and I thought it went really well, but today I got a letter saying that I am on HOLD and i will find out in 30 days. I am totally bummed out since i really had my heart set on Bradenton. What does it mean to be on HOLD? I dont understand what the extra 30 days is for... is this good or bad? Wouldnt it have been better to be put on a waitlist. The application process really is MISERABLE. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

What's up? I'm not sure what "hold" is - are you sure that's not their term for waitlist?
Who's your bf?
Don't give up hope, they didn't reject you! :)

whats happening.
it seems like lecom-b would provide a great environment to pursue a medical education...

I was just wondering, as a prospective student for the LECOM-B class of 2010, would you guys reccomend an early visit to the school? I already plan on applying early (ie June), but I was curious if what you guys think about visiting the school early... Could this possibly work in my favor for the adcoms? I dunno... any advice would be greatly appreciated...
thx.

(nicedream) said:
What's up? I'm not sure what "hold" is - are you sure that's not their term for waitlist?
Who's your bf?
Don't give up hope, they didn't reject you! :)

My b/f is from NY... do u know him?

Hi Karla and other current LECOM students! I have just sent in my deposit for the class of 09' and I now have TONS of questions, so THANKS for this forum.

At my interview I received a long list of apartments to consider. I was wondering if you are at all familiar with this list and if there are any apartments to stay away from- maybe b/c of location or bad experiences by other students. Also, are there are any apartments that you would highly recommend?

One last question- I plan on visiting the Bradenton area at Easter- (March 27ish) to really find a place to live, do you think this is cutting it too close to my start date (July 27th) to find a decent place to live? :confused:

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!

Kate
LECOM- Bradenton Class of 09' :)

Yasmeen & Co.,

THANKS for being so helpful, I'm from NY and only know FL's East Coast, so finding the right place to live is tough. I'll def post my question on the website you suggested. I love how they informed us at the interviews that they required each student to have a functional car, I guess a 30 minute commute might be inevitable...time for a tune up.

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting everyone this summer. (oh and I heard awful rumors about the OPP uniforms that were changed by your class...thanks for that too!!!! ;)

KitKat0526 said:
Hi Karla and other current LECOM students! I have just sent in my deposit for the class of 09' and I now have TONS of questions, so THANKS for this forum.

At my interview I received a long list of apartments to consider. I was wondering if you are at all familiar with this list and if there are any apartments to stay away from- maybe b/c of location or bad experiences by other students. Also, are there are any apartments that you would highly recommend?

One last question- I plan on visiting the Bradenton area at Easter- (March 27ish) to really find a place to live, do you think this is cutting it too close to my start date (July 27th) to find a decent place to live? :confused:

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!

Kate
LECOM- Bradenton Class of 09' :)

Hey Kate, congrats.
First let me say you'll soon be receiving some materials from the Big Sibs club here at LECOM-FL, which is the mentoring club for incoming students. Through that you'll get lots of help and advice on living arrangements and everything else.
As for my opinion - as a student here, and a native of Bradenton/Sarasota, my strong suggestion is to live in the area around University Parkway and I75. That would include the apartments Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch (the most popular living space for students this year), Colonial Village at Townpark, The Tuscany, Whispering Oaks, and Turnbury Park. All are 10-15 minutes from school. Other than this area, I recommend Sarasota over west Bradenton.
I think March 27 is plenty of time.
Again, you'll be getting more help, and like Yasmeen said, check out our own forum.

I just got my acceptance letter from NYCOM yesterday. I only have until March 7th to make my decision but I really loved LECOM-B when I was down there for my interview, which was a little over a week ago. Will I hear back from them soon, should I call them? I know that they probably need more than a week to go over all of my things, but I need to know soon whether I am accepted or not. Maybe a current LECOM-B student could help me out with this please??? Thaaannkks!! :p

BAB7172 said:
I just got my acceptance letter from NYCOM yesterday. I only have until March 7th to make my decision but I really loved LECOM-B when I was down there for my interview, which was a little over a week ago. Will I hear back from them soon, should I call them? I know that they probably need more than a week to go over all of my things, but I need to know soon whether I am accepted or not. Maybe a current LECOM-B student could help me out with this please??? Thaaannkks!! :p

I got my acceptance letter 10 days after the interview. I am sure that it varies though?

BAB7172 said:

Hey! I got my acceptance letter exactly 2 weeks after my interview- they told us to expect word in 2 weeks or sooner. So you might hear before MArch 7th. Also a student I know asked a school (not NYCOM) for a postponement for sending in the deposit claiming to be having financial difficulties and that seemed to work, so maybe you could try that with NYCOM.

Good Luck!

:thumbup: Alright thanks guys, thats good to hear.

I received mine in less than 10 days.. so you should hear back soon.

Good luck!

Congrats to those of you with acceptances :D

I'm not a DO student, but a fourth year OD student who went to Bradenton on externship. I lived in Colonial Village at TownPark . They were very large apartments that were very pet friendly (even for BIG dogs!!). Y'all will LOVE the area.

I loved it so much I'm moving to Tampa in May after graduation.

Good luck to everyone applying !! And, listen to (nicedream), he's a GREAT guy !! :D

I got my acceptance letter today! Peace out NYCOM I'm going to Florida! :D