Lecom-bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
THANKS!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats new lecomer's

room for rent
3/2 1900 sq ft house on s.r. 64, 5 miles from campus, 12 miles from beach, 2 miles from I-75. M/F 2 current first years looking to share house with M or F pleasant, normal, easy going fellow student. garage for extra storage, bathroom must share with other female, house is fully furnished, split utils. 3 way, no pets please. please send email reply for pics or phone number to discuss rent and stuff.

good luck, see you when you get here!
-sebastian and samantha

bigworm said:
congrats new lecomer's

room for rent
3/2 1900 sq ft house on s.r. 64, 5 miles from campus, 12 miles from beach, 2 miles from I-75. M/F 2 current first years looking to share house with M or F pleasant, normal, easy going fellow student. garage for extra storage, bathroom must share with other female, house is fully furnished, split utils. 3 way, no pets please. please send email reply for pics or phone number to discuss rent and stuff.

good luck, see you when you get here!
-sebastian and samantha

This is a nice house guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed on 2/18 and am expecting a letter any day now- its only been 11 days but everyday i hope. anyone from this interview date or week get a letter yet?

I interviewed 2/18 also...haven't heard anything yet either...I guess for now no news is good news!!

Good luck!!!

Is it true you go for an extra year of rotations beyond what a MD does?

Interveiwing with LECOM

Hey Guys-
My name's Sarah and I also will be attending LECOM-B next year (i'm REALLY excited). How strict is the dress code and what do girls usually wear- so I can buy clothes? Also, where are the apartment complexes that most students live? Thanks so much y'all.

KitKat0526 said:
Yasmeen & Co.,

THANKS for being so helpful, I'm from NY and only know FL's East Coast, so finding the right place to live is tough. I'll def post my question on the website you suggested. I love how they informed us at the interviews that they required each student to have a functional car, I guess a 30 minute commute might be inevitable...time for a tune up.

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting everyone this summer. (oh and I heard awful rumors about the OPP uniforms that were changed by your class...thanks for that too!!!! ;)

sarahgard said:
Hey Guys-
My name's Sarah and I also will be attending LECOM-B next year (i'm REALLY excited). How strict is the dress code and what do girls usually wear- so I can buy clothes? Also, where are the apartment complexes that most students live? Thanks so much y'all.

First, apartments - you can see my comments on this in the 2nd post on this page. Short answer - Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch. Long answer - see above.
Dress code - it's a lot less strict with girls. There are a couple of girls that wear solid color vneck tshirts with pants, and that's it. Us guys have it a lot harder.

mmacvenn said:
Is it true you go for an extra year of rotations beyond what a MD does?

Interveiwing with LECOM

No. 2 Pre-clinical, 2 clinical. Same as MD.

(nicedream) said:
They asked about rotations, not residency. No matter what residency you do, you will do 2 years of rotations. There are no exceptions.

Sorry, this is correct I misread the question. There is possibly an extra year during residency depending on what you want to do.

Hey! I just got accepted to LECOM-Bradenton :D !!!!

Now to come up with the 1500 deposit... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations...and best wishes!!!

Still no word for me though :scared:

Just got my mail...no love for me in Bradenton :(

KitKat0526 said:
At my interview I received a long list of apartments to consider. I was wondering if you are at all familiar with this list and if there are any apartments to stay away from- maybe b/c of location or bad experiences by other students. Also, are there are any apartments that you would highly recommend?

hey congrats. be nice to see some new faces in the hallways.

anyway in terms of housing, like nicedream has mentioned in earlier threads, definitely come down and check the place out. i live in lakewood ranch right now, about 5 minutes from the school, and have decided that next year i want to live closer to downtown sarasota (aka beach, people, diversity, arts, music, culture.. LIFE) so it all depends on what youre looking for. i've found that i'm only at school when i need to be, i cant study at school, so i'm always downtown. there are great places to live down there and are reasonably priced. also if you're looking into buying a house, the real estate business is worth the time since property value down here goes up every year. if you dont want to buy, i would suggest renting a house or condo. get some pple together and rent, you get more room and the price comes out to be cheaper than a one bedroom apt. check out www.lakewoodranchrealty.com or www.michaelsaunders.com

good luck to everyone. if you have any questions about the area, especially the social scene down here, just leave me a message. i'm gettin to know all the cool places to hang out and the ones to avoid :laugh:

Hey Thanks for the info! I'm looking to rent or buy depending on what I find on my trip at the end of March. I think for my first year I'll try to stay close to school and eliminate traveling stress.

I'm clueless about the area, is downtown Sarasota city-like or do you have to travel to tampa for that scene? I honestly don't plan on too many nights to party but it would be fun to explore...

KitKat0526 said:
Hey Thanks for the info! I'm looking to rent or buy depending on what I find on my trip at the end of March. I think for my first year I'll try to stay close to school and eliminate traveling stress.

I'm clueless about the area, is downtown Sarasota city-like or do you have to travel to tampa for that scene? I honestly don't plan on too many nights to party but it would be fun to explore...

You'll have plenty of nights to party ;)
Downtown Sarasota has good restaurants, coffeehouses, a bar or two - but for clubs, you'd have to go to Tampa.

I will also be a newbee at LECOM-B this summer, and will be buying a 5-6 bedroom house most likely more near to Downtown Sarasota.

To any of those who know, how do I post, or contact other students to rent rooms from me.

I will be moving to Sarasota in May, and should have the house then.

Thanks,
Matthew

PsychProf said:
I will also be a newbee at LECOM-B this summer, and will be buying a 5-6 bedroom house most likely more near to Downtown Sarasota.

To any of those who know, how do I post, or contact other students to rent rooms from me.

I will be moving to Sarasota in May, and should have the house then.

Thanks,
Matthew

I had heard somewhere that Florida might require an extra year during residency - an internship or something - to practice as a DO in that state.

I have NO CLUE whether this is accurate or not... but am wondering if any of the current or future students have more concrete information on this.

Thanks!
Andrea

I hope i do well, its my top choice :)

adennis said:
I had heard somewhere that Florida might require an extra year during residency - an internship or something - to practice as a DO in that state.

I have NO CLUE whether this is accurate or not... but am wondering if any of the current or future students have more concrete information on this.

Thanks!
Andrea

There are 5 states, one of which is FL, that require DO's to do an osteopathic internship before residency. It is possible, however, to have this requirement waived under certain circumstances.

adennis said:

Thanks!
Andrea

There are 5 states, one of which is FL, that require DO's to do an osteopathic internship before residency. It is possible, however, to have this requirement waived under certain circumstances. It is also possible to do a dual-accredited internship which could count as your MD MS1 and your DO internship.

yasmeensak said:
It IS true that there are 5 states that require the Osteopathic Internship...but - this is what needs to be understood...'Internship' is simply the title for the 1st year of your residency...that's what it's called whether you are DO or MD...'Intern' = 'Ist year Resident'

Now - FL does require that you must complete a Osteopath program internship to be able to practice in FL - this does NOT mean that this is an exrta year though - Internship is something everyone does - but to practice in a certain 5 states, that 1st year must be in an Osteopath program - you are free to do the rest of your residency in a DO or MD program.

This might be confusing - but DO NOT think it means that there is an extra year added on to your residency!!

Hope this clears things up for people - MD & DO residencies do not differ in length - what makes a residency longer or shorter is what field of medicine you decide to do your residency in.

Have a nice day :D

Yasmeen

Well, it does require an extra year for most people, because most DO's do MD residencies. Thus, they would have to do a DO internship (which is NOT accepted as the first year in an MD program unless it is dual-accredited), and then go on to their MD residency thereby doing 2 internship years.

yasmeensak said:
It IS true that there are 5 states that require the Osteopathic Internship

umm so how is that any different than the 1st year of rotations? or is it just an alternate label for ur 1st year of residency? i'm from FL, just curious i didnt know about this one.

and, what are the 5 states (including FL) that have this requirement?

As a Florida resident who intends to practice medicine in my home state, it is somewhat concerning to me that if I would have to train for an extra year if I wanted to do an allopathic residency as an osteopathic graduate. I have interviewed at LECOM-B as well as a few MD programs, and this is certainly something to consider (if I ever get off some of these waitlists, including LECOM-B!).

What percentage of residencies are dual-accredited?

LECOM-B 08'ers-

ANY OPINIONS ON "THE TUSCANY" TO LIVE?

:confused:

THANKS!

1. Osteopathic internship year is normally a rotating internship. You rotate through the different services. In the osteopathic world, unless you're doing a residency that has a linked internship (primary care/gen surg), you match into an internship during your 4th year, and then apply to residencies during the internship. In allopathic programs, the "internship" is simply the first year of the residency, and you just match into a residency during your 4th year unless you're doing a transitional year, or a prelim. or something.

2. The other states I believe are MI, OK, PA, and WV. Not positive though.

3. The internship year is what's dual-accredited. There are lots of these, and they are increasing. Go to http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/cfm/OpSearch_Internships.cfm and click each program to see if it says ACGME/AOA accreditation.

4. It is increasingly easy, at least in FL, to have the osteopathic internship year requirement waived.

5. The Tuscany is nice.

HOLLA! I just got accepted to LECOM-Bradenton!!

I went to grade school with a dude named Steve Svabek- he's an ortho DO in Ohio, I think- you might at some point wanna give him a ring to see how his experiences were, landing an ortho residency, etc. Just do a search on Yahoo for Steven Svabek DO and his office information will pop up. I was thinking of contacting him after all these years (never did) but was able to get his info.
I gre up in Bradenton and my family is still there- sure miss the place.
Good luck.
mickdogg81 said:
Robo,

I am also an MSI here at LECOM-B, and as far apts go, Colonial Grand in Lakewood Ranch runs in the $700+ range for a 1 bed. CG has a workout room with a couple free-weights, some benches, treaddies, stairmaster and a decent set of Nautilus machines. They have a nice pool, gated complex, and is only about 8-10 minute drive to school. To me, and approximately the other 20 students that live here, it's a great place with excellent management. If you want any other info, pm me.
And as far as getting a competitive residency-LECOM-B is working diligently obtain a variety of rotations around the area...give nicedreams a pm, he knows more about that stuff than I do. Finally, one important thing about med school-it's what YOU make of it. I am fully planning on going into Ortho, a very competitive residency, and what you make of yourself during med school is up to the individual. Good luck!

Greetings fellow collegues:

I've been reading this thread for a while and just decided to post today. I'm so glad I finally decided to go to LECOM-B, see ya'll there! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm not a medical student, but I found this site and figured I'd post a message. I have two houses for rent with in a couple of miles from Lecom. There are three rooms per house ranging $600 - $650 per room. Cable included.

Please contact me for more information.

(941) 400-9003

Thanks for looking. If you know anybody that needs a room please pass on my info. Thanks!