LECOM brandenton vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lauviah84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to stay in FL, so my decision is restricted to LECOM or Nova. Im very much leaning towards LECOM b/c I absolutely love it there, plus its not too far from home, and not too close like Nova! Just wondering if anyone had any take on the 2 schools. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

The two schools are drastically different from one another. NOVA is lecture based, LECOM-B is PBL based. NOVA is older and more established, LECOM-B is newer and I believe still under provisional accreditation. They are very different schools--both of which I am sure will do a good job educating you as a physician.

Look at a few things where the schools are different and see which is most important.

What is your learning style?
What type of learning environment is best for you?
Are you good at independant learning, or do you prefer something somewhat structured?
How important is it to be in close proximity to your family?
Do you think you will even have time to see your family if you are in proximity?
Are you comfortable with the less structured clinical rotations at LECOM, or would you prefer the structure that NOVA provides with their core hospitals?
Have you been accepted to both?

kaikai128 said:
The two schools are drastically different from one another. NOVA is lecture based, LECOM-B is PBL based. NOVA is older and more established, LECOM-B is newer and I believe still under provisional accreditation. They are very different schools--both of which I am sure will do a good job educating you as a physician.

Look at a few things where the schools are different and see which is most important.

What is your learning style?
What type of learning environment is best for you?
Are you good at independant learning, or do you prefer something somewhat structured?
How important is it to be in close proximity to your family?
Do you think you will even have time to see your family if you are in proximity?
Are you comfortable with the less structured clinical rotations at LECOM, or would you prefer the structure that NOVA provides with their core hospitals?
Have you been accepted to both?

Thanx for the reply. The specific reason why i rather go to LECOM as opposed to Nova, is b/c of the PBL. I think that learning in an environment like that is better off in the long run, atleast for me, b/c from the get-go you are taught how to analyze cases etc... another reason is location, I don't think Ill ever really be able to see anyone, so its better that Im far... but close enough that if I DO want to see them I can drive down (3hrs) for a weekend. Im not sure what you mean about " less structered" clinical rotations. As far as hospitals for clinicals go, they have a lot of affiliated hospitals, and they are adding 1 per week. Hopefully by the time I have to pick hospitals to do clinicals at, they will have a few of the same hospitals as Nova in South Florida... I haven't even applied yet to be honest with you, Im applying in june 06- decided to take a year off to work etc... so I'd be the entering class of 2007.