Lecom-brandenton vs nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given a choice which one would you choose? Why? Personally leaning towards nova, need some feed back....

Members don't see this ad.

Given a choice which one would you choose? Why? Personally leaning towards nova, need some feed back....

the fact that they have different teaching styles should weigh heavily in your decision, i think.

I was accepted to both schools and ultimately chose NSU. While I left Lecom B in LOVE with PBL, once i interviewed at NSU I saw the downsides of attending Lecom B. In regards to PBL- while i would absolutely love to try a different way of learning and I think that I could adapt to it, I am playing it safe and sticking with what I know already works. Also, lecom b is one building (the rules and dress code don't bother me, i wouldnt want that to be a factor in deciding which school i think is a better fit), NSU-COM is a university closer to a more urban area. I am about to graduate from Penn State, and I love being on a huge campus with lots of other students around and all of the opportunities that a large university has to offer- NSU will give me this environment.

Rotations: I do not completely understand everything about 3rd and 4th year of medical school, but lecom b does not pay for their rotation sites, while NSU does. They also, as far as what I can tell from my research, have established more sites around the area, where as you have to move around more if you attend lecom b. The rest comes down to the feeling I had about each school. Even though I had a great interview day and felt very welcomed at both schools NSU just felt more right.

Hope that helps to get you started, and if you know that you're leaning towards one school already, trust that instinct because you probably feel that way for good reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have picked nova, it isnt my first choice(CCOM is but 50k tuition is too hard to swallow) but it is a very close 2nd. I liked that there was more going on there than at lecom-b. I'm like a previous poster in that I need the bigger school feel, UF has 50k+ students and I like it a lot more than having only a few hundred. I also liked the PBL but it scares me too much since I know I can thrive sitting in lectures. I feel like where you felt comfortable and what teaching style you like should bE deciding factors. Both schools will most likely prepare you well for boards so it's just where do you think will prepare YOU best not anyone else.

Goodluck

Go to Nova. I was accepted to Erie's PBL track which is basically snowy LECOM-B and I chose Nova for a whole slew of reasons, none of which involved weather. I also think they dismiss you on the spot if you show up and call it "Brandenton" :smuggrin:

I'm here at NSU, PM me if you want to know anything.

Thank you guys for the input, Nova it is! Putting in my deposit early December.