LECOM D1 student AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zkid_753

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask me anything, I am glad to help with any questions you have of LECOM.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you wish you would have known prior to starting? Are you from the area? How is the rent there? What is your schedule like? What do you guys do for fun? Do you spend any time outside of class with your classmates? How do you like PBL? How are the staff honestly? Most challenging classes? What do you not like about LECOM? What type of clinical things have you done? Are you enjoying your time in Bradenton/at LECOM and would you recommend it? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did you wish you would have known prior to starting? Are you from the area? How is the rent there? What is your schedule like? What do you guys do for fun? Do you spend any time outside of class with your classmates? How do you like PBL? How are the staff honestly? Most challenging classes? What do you not like about LECOM? What type of clinical things have you done? Are you enjoying your time in Bradenton/at LECOM and would you recommend it? Why or why not?

Okay so I am a current D1 as well.

I wish I was already close to my friends like I am now because the first few months you have a VERY light schedule and its the perfect time to have fun with your friends. I wish we had taken more advantage of this time and traveled to different cities and stuff.

No almost 98% of my class is not from the area.

Rent depends on where you live. Most first years either live at lost creek or creek side which is 4 min away from campus. Creekside is newer therefore nicer but also more expensive. Lost creek rent is less (400-550) depending on 2 bed room or 3 bedroom.

We go to Tampa or St. Pete to go out most of the time. Tampa is a big city so lots to do. St. Pete has a good amount of bars. But theres lots of breweries in the area.

Yeah, you make friends with almost everyone in your class and then have your close group of friends and hangout. My group of friends hang out almost every night together. Either in the library or at one of our homes watching sports, or playing video games, or studying.

PBL isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to read the chapters assigned and you'll be fine for the exam. And if you read a chapter a day then you don't even really have to worry. Its completely doable as long as you read.

The staff is actually really friendly and helpful. I personally haven't had a problem with anyone and everyones been super nice.

PBL is probably the most challenging class we have because of how much reading it entails but it isn't that bad

We don't get long summer breaks or any spring breaks. That sucks. We have 10 days for summer and then 2 weeks for xmas and then a week for thanksgiving. So not having a big break sucks. But they make the schedule really light for first years so it makes the transition from undergrad to dental school easier.

And bruh, we've already assisted D3's in our clinic in our second semester D1 year. I think thats amazing. We get to assist and watch procedures every week for 2 months on real patients. Its crazy how soon were allowed to be in there and help out.

And yeah, I love LECOM. I wouldn't want to go to another school. I have my reasons but its honestly a great school thats growing and getting better each year. Its a new school so it has its problems but the administration is working it out. We have a new administrative teacher from UF, who is actually doing a really good job at working out the kinks and hes great.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay so I am a current D1 as well.

I wish I was already close to my friends like I am now because the first few months you have a VERY light schedule and its the perfect time to have fun with your friends. I wish we had taken more advantage of this time and traveled to different cities and stuff.

No almost 98% of my class is not from the area.

Rent depends on where you live. Most first years either live at lost creek or creek side which is 4 min away from campus. Creekside is newer therefore nicer but also more expensive. Lost creek rent is less (400-550) depending on 2 bed room or 3 bedroom.

We go to Tampa or St. Pete to go out most of the time. Tampa is a big city so lots to do. St. Pete has a good amount of bars. But theres lots of breweries in the area.

Yeah, you make friends with almost everyone in your class and then have your close group of friends and hangout. My group of friends hang out almost every night together. Either in the library or at one of our homes watching sports, or playing video games, or studying.

PBL isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to read the chapters assigned and you'll be fine for the exam. And if you read a chapter a day then you don't even really have to worry. Its completely doable as long as you read.

The staff is actually really friendly and helpful. I personally haven't had a problem with anyone and everyones been super nice.

PBL is probably the most challenging class we have because of how much reading it entails but it isn't that bad

We don't get long summer breaks or any spring breaks. That sucks. We have 10 days for summer and then 2 weeks for xmas and then a week for thanksgiving. So not having a big break sucks. But they make the schedule really light for first years so it makes the transition from undergrad to dental school easier.

And bruh, we've already assisted D3's in our clinic in our second semester D1 year. I think thats amazing. We get to assist and watch procedures every week for 2 months on real patients. Its crazy how soon were allowed to be in there and help out.

And yeah, I love LECOM. I wouldn't want to go to another school. I have my reasons but its honestly a great school thats growing and getting better each year. Its a new school so it has its problems but the administration is working it out. We have a new administrative teacher from UF, who is actually doing a really good job at working out the kinks and hes great.

Can you elaborate on the "problems?"

Do most admitted applicants at LECOM have research experience?

Can you share your experience with self study anatomy? Do you find your missing out compared to what other schools provide?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you share your experience with self study anatomy? Do you find your missing out compared to what other schools provide?

Anatomy is a hybrid as of our D1 year, unlike the class above us. It's not self taught, rather we had an anatomist teach a course and create a checklist of everything we needed to know to be successful. The rest was up to us to find the information in our books and an online anatomy program. For me this wasn't the ideal situation because I was hoping to work with a cadaver but I feel like we got what we needed from the course regardless.

Ask me anything, I am glad to help with any questions you have of LECOM.

Can you talk about life in Erie? What is it like living there? I am a student who has been accepted into the incoming class of 2019 in the medical school. I just want to know if its a good fit for me in terms of life outside medical school. If you can talk about the medical education that would be great too! I am basing my decision off academics and whether I will like the environment there. Thank you! :)

Can you talk about life in Erie? What is it like living there? I am a student who has been accepted into the incoming class of 2019 in the medical school. I just want to know if its a good fit for me in terms of life outside medical school. If you can talk about the medical education that would be great too! I am basing my decision off academics and whether I will like the environment there. Thank you! :)
Since the OP is a dental student, they don't live in Erie. They live in Bradenton, FL.

how long does it take to receive the secondary? i submitted a week ago and haven't received a link to pay. should i be worried?

General app.question. When your transcript is verified does its status change from "Arrived" to "Verified"?