LECOM EAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellySmith24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!
Interested in applying to LECOM EAP as a HS senior and have some questions.

I already read all the relevant info on LECOM's web-site and on this forum as well. A few things still remain unclear.

1. I know I need to apply to LECOM and affiliated school at the same time. Can I pick multiple feeder schools?
2. Does it matter (in terms of acceptance to LECOM) what feeder school is chosen?
3. Is it possible that I am accepted to LECOM, but rejected by a a chosen feeder school? Colleges request a separate application for LECOM EAP applicants, so does it make the admission to this particular college more competitive? (Another words, does the college have limited seats for LECOM EAP students)
4. LECOM has several locations. Are they equally competitive?
5. Do they have preference to in-state applicants?
6. What is the earliest time a student can be invited to the interview/accepted 2 weeks later?
7. There is minimum GPA and SAT requirements to apply. Is there any available info for average score of ADMITTED applicants? May be, you do not mind sharing your stats if you were admitted?
7. What, except SAT and GPA, is the LECOM admission committee looking for?

Thank you very much in advance for answering any of my questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not having to take MCAT is one of the benefits.
JimmyPage1969, are you familiar with EAP? Do you have any answers to the questions above?

Not having to take MCAT is one of the benefits.
Not a benefit...it's good to keep your options open!
As a high schooler, you have a lot to still think about, and a lot of memories, opportunities and chances to make in undergrad! I wouldn't limit yourself so early, to one school that has a very mixed reputation.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your rely and advise! At this point, I am not limiting myself to anything - I just want to understand the details behind applying to LECOM EAP ))).

Hello SDN!
Interested in applying to LECOM EAP as a HS senior and have some questions.

I already read all the relevant info on LECOM's web-site and on this forum as well. A few things still remain unclear.

1. I know I need to apply to LECOM and affiliated school at the same time. Can I pick multiple feeder schools?
2. Does it matter (in terms of acceptance to LECOM) what feeder school is chosen?
3. Is it possible that I am accepted to LECOM, but rejected by a a chosen feeder school? Colleges request a separate application for LECOM EAP applicants, so does it make the admission to this particular college more competitive? (Another words, does the college have limited seats for LECOM EAP students)
4. LECOM has several locations. Are they equally competitive?
5. Do they have preference to in-state applicants?
6. What is the earliest time a student can be invited to the interview/accepted 2 weeks later?
7. There is minimum GPA and SAT requirements to apply. Is there any available info for average score of ADMITTED applicants? May be, you do not mind sharing your stats if you were admitted?
7. What, except SAT and GPA, is the LECOM admission committee looking for?

Thank you very much in advance for answering any of my questions!
1. You can pick multiple feeder schools from what I understand. When I applied, I was planning on attending a different undergrad than my current one. I was able to switch
2. No
3. Yes and no. Colleges do have limited seats, but honestly, there are not a lot of people in this program (At least at my school). I received my acceptance from LECOM and then applied to my undergrad, got in, and got approval from the pre-health advisor there
4. they have several locations - elmira, seton hill, Bradenton, erie; i think the traditional pathways are more competitive
5. yes
6. I think it was about 2 weeks for each step
7. I was admitted based on my ACT score - 29 and my high school gpa was around a 3.6 and weighted a 4.1
8. they want to see you giving back to the community

1. You can pick multiple feeder schools from what I understand. When I applied, I was planning on attending a different undergrad than my current one. I was able to switch
2. No
3. Yes and no. Colleges do have limited seats, but honestly, there are not a lot of people in this program (At least at my school). I received my acceptance from LECOM and then applied to my undergrad, got in, and got approval from the pre-health advisor there
4. they have several locations - elmira, seton hill, Bradenton, erie; i think the traditional pathways are more competitive
5. yes
6. I think it was about 2 weeks for each step
7. I was admitted based on my ACT score - 29 and my high school gpa was around a 3.6 and weighted a 4.1
8. they want to see you giving back to the community
Mearbearr,

Thank you VERY MUCH for your detailed reply! Just wanted to ask you a few more clarifying questions/comments.

1. Did you just start the program? Do you like it so far? How many students are normally accepted per year?

2. Are you saying that you got accepted in LECOM first and THEN you applied to feeder school(s)?

3. Looks like traditional pathway is only offered at Erie campus.

4. It is comforting to know that they have in-state preference because one of the locations is in my state!

5. I have heard that combined degree programs are extremely competitive. Do you believe that it is not the case in LECOM EAP?

6. I guess, it means a lot of volunteering in healthcare setting? Already doing it!

7. Can you share a little bit about how your interview was?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
Mearbearr,

Thank you VERY MUCH for your detailed reply! Just wanted to ask you a few more clarifying questions/comments.

1. Did you just start the program? Do you like it so far? How many students are normally accepted per year?

2. Are you saying that you got accepted in LECOM first and THEN you applied to feeder school(s)?

3. Looks like traditional pathway is only offered at Erie campus.

4. It is comforting to know that they have in-state preference because one of the locations is in my state!

5. I have heard that combined degree programs are extremely competitive. Do you believe that it is not the case in LECOM EAP?

6. I guess, it means a lot of volunteering in healthcare setting? Already doing it!

7. Can you share a little bit about how your interview was?

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Hey SO sorry for such a late reply. Finals week and a few other things :/

1. I am halfway through my 2nd year of the 3+4 medical program. I don't really know how many kids are accepted, BUT I do know that at my school, there aren't a lot. HOWEVER, that is due to them switching majors, not making grades, etc. When I applied, I had a 29 ACT and about a 3.6 gpa as a HS senior.

2. I did get accepted to LECOM first, then my undergrad

3. Yeah, I didn't quite take a gander at the other campuses because Bradenton was and is the only one I'm interested in because it's close to home :) BUT don't limit yourself and weigh all your options. Traditional has its benefits, but so do the other pathways :)

4. Yes, they LOVE in-state from what I gauged, BUT you don't choose the campus until you receive the online medical application before you ACTUALLY matriculate (November of final year)

5. I believe it's competitive depending on your grades and test scores

6. You don't necessarily need to do a lot of volunteering. I honestly didn't volunteer a lot, but I explained why in the interview.

7. The interview is a group interview. Do not let yourself feel intimidated by the interviewers or interviewees. Personally, I felt pretty intimidated because the other students came from affluent families, had parents who were physicians, volunteered a TON, seemed like they were prepping for this for YEARS, and just were like, crazy prepared (isn't a bad thing). BUT, if you just be yourself, support the others in your group, and just explain your academics (courses you're taking to prove you enjoy the sciences), etc.

ALSO, just because LECOM has mixed reviews, doesn't mean that should dissuade from an opportunity such as this. If you have a chance like this, it isn't closing doors on other schools. You can ALWAYS decide to opt out of the program and because of the strict grade requirements, you will still have a high chance when applying to other schools - GPA-wise that is. The MCAT is still something you'd have to deal with if you decide to apply traditionally. Applying traditionally would also add a lot of stress and time. Most applicants apply the following year after graduating with their bachelor's or go for their master's and then apply just to up their competitiveness. You wouldn't have to worry about extracurriculars, volunteering (unless your undegrad requires it), etc.

If you want, you will get it!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, Mearbearr!
That is so super helpful!
I had no idea that you only find out your campus and your learning style before you matriculate! I was under impression that info is available to you upon provisional acceptance. Yes, I am aware that Florida is a separate application and that is how you knew right away, but if I apply to the other one (with 3 options and 3 learning styles), then this adds a lot of uncertainty!
Can I ask you one more question? I will PM it to you (just in case you do not want to share it publicly) :)

Also, in terms of timing: when did you apply and when was your interview and when were you accepted? Looks like when LECOM accepted you, you STILL had time to apply to affiliated colleges?

Hi! I can reiterate most of what @mearbearr said above. I am about to matriculate into LECOM (this is my 4th year in the 4+4 Program) and I will be going to the Erie campus with the Lecture-Discussion Pathway! The reason why I applied to the EAP program is because I agree that there was a lot of stress when it came to applying for medical school, but this program offered a lot of structure and support for reaching your goals. Further, when I visited LECOM in Erie, I really appreciated the school regardless of the mixed reviews, and I could see myself thriving in the regimented environment LECOM has to offer.

I learned about the program when applying to undergrad, and I applied as a HS senior. In the group interview, I was the only HS student (everyone else was in Freshman/Sophomore of undergrad) and this was really intimidating because many talked about their research experiences, lab time, rigorous courses, etc. but I was able to just talk about some extracurriculars and my love for my HS science classes. I was accepted anyway because they were more focused on your personality than all of your achievements, I think.
I was accepted mid-winter (Feb or March?) of my senior year of HS I believe, so there was still some time to apply to undergrads with the affiliation and make my decision—though I had already decided earlier on.

Reactions: 1 user
Saigem, I appreciate your detailed reply! Do you mind sharing your stats? (high school GPA and SAT). What was your volunteer experience like? What do you think made you stand out?
Also, I am wondering how many spots they have... Many combined programs have 3 to 20, but I get a feeling that LECOM EAP program is bigger?
Last question. When you were accepted, did they tell you right away you are going to Erie for LDP or this is something you just learned before matriculation? Did you apply separately to Florida campus as well?
Any information will be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two sons in the program. One is M2 and the second one will matriculate in 2021. Both applied after high school for the 3+4 program. Somewhere along the process LECOM ask you about the choice of campus and type style of lecture (LDP etc.). It is not just before matriculation.
Important thing to remember that getting the preliminary acceptance is not the only battle. One has to maintain a certain GPA (for science courses and cumulative separately each semester ) when you are in college regardless of 3+4 or 4+4 program) There is a slight difference of maintaining minimum gpa's for each program. Higher expectation for the 3+4 program. They let you know during the interview session these minimums. LECOM gives you one chance for your gpa(s) to fall below the minimum requirement, If it does happen you get a warning letter. If you don't bring it up in the next semester one is out of the program. Only exception is that if you are in 3+4 program and your gpa dips below the min for the second time for this program but may be above the 4+4 min requirement they give you the option to switch over to 4+4 program only after they calculate that mathematically it is still possible to bring the gpa up based on how many credits are left in college. Remember this is a conditional admission. At the end of the 3rd year or 4th year of college depending on the program your are in and after you have uploaded all grades (done after each semester) the school issues you a final acceptance (they also do a background and criminal investigation) and give you about 10 days to accept it and make a deposit of $2000 which is credited towards your tuition. Most of the schools have a max of 5 spots for the program (EAP). Not all feeder colleges have that many students in the program.

Good Luck.

Mhusain, thank you very much for your detailed reply! It is great that both of your children were accepted into the program! Yes, I completely understand that the acceptance is provisional and is subject to certain requirements/expectations.
Also, you said that "Most of the schools have a max of 5 spots for the program (EAP)". Does it mean that feeder college will not accept more than 5 students for LECOM? Another words, you may be accepted by LECOM, but denied by some feeder colleges? Did your sons get accepted into LECOM and THEN applied to UG?

Saigem, I appreciate your detailed reply! Do you mind sharing your stats? (high school GPA and SAT). What was your volunteer experience like? What do you think made you stand out?
Also, I am wondering how many spots they have... Many combined programs have 3 to 20, but I get a feeling that LECOM EAP program is bigger?
Last question. When you were accepted, did they tell you right away you are going to Erie for LDP or this is something you just learned before matriculation? Did you apply separately to Florida campus as well?
Any information will be very appreciated!
I can’t quite remember my official ending high school GPA on a 4.0 credit scale (we measured in % and I believe my overall average was around 95% at my high school). I got a 1300 on the new SAT, and I believe they look for a min. of 1200 to even apply, but I can’t remember for sure (it was 5 year ago). I was super involved in high school activities, and had some (minor) hospital volunteering experience, but nothing very extreme compared to some of the others that applied. I think my dedication made me stand out as an applicant. Also, they really focus on meeting certain goals in undergrad and won’t accept you if they don’t think you are capable of reaching those goals.

I have no idea how many spots are in the EAP. Due to the pandemic, we never officially were able to meet with all of the other students in our matriculating year, and honestly this was never something I have thought to ask.

After acceptance to the EAP, you are actually given the choice of where you want to go and which pathway you want to choose (there is some competition between EAP students with pathways though). Also, you do not have to apply separately to Bradenton in the EAP.

Something to keep in mind though, once you are accepted into the EAP, they expect you to follow through with the program. We have been warned many times that if you are MCAT exempt and take it, you must get a certain score or else you will be dropped from the program. Also, if you apply to any other medical schools once in the EAP, you could be dropped from the program since they are holding a seat for you and expecting you to come.

I have two sons in the program. One is M2 and the second one will matriculate in 2021. Both applied after high school for the 3+4 program. Somewhere along the process LECOM ask you about the choice of campus and type style of lecture (LDP etc.). It is not just before matriculation.
Important thing to remember that getting the preliminary acceptance is not the only battle. One has to maintain a certain GPA (for science courses and cumulative separately each semester ) when you are in college regardless of 3+4 or 4+4 program) There is a slight difference of maintaining minimum gpa's for each program. Higher expectation for the 3+4 program. They let you know during the interview session these minimums. LECOM gives you one chance for your gpa(s) to fall below the minimum requirement, If it does happen you get a warning letter. If you don't bring it up in the next semester one is out of the program. Only exception is that if you are in 3+4 program and your gpa dips below the min for the second time for this program but may be above the 4+4 min requirement they give you the option to switch over to 4+4 program only after they calculate that mathematically it is still possible to bring the gpa up based on how many credits are left in college. Remember this is a conditional admission. At the end of the 3rd year or 4th year of college depending on the program your are in and after you have uploaded all grades (done after each semester) the school issues you a final acceptance (they also do a background and criminal investigation) and give you about 10 days to accept it and make a deposit of $2000 which is credited towards your tuition. Most of the schools have a max of 5 spots for the program (EAP). Not all feeder colleges have that many students in the program.

Good Luck.
Something to add here: I am the only student in the medicine program at my feeder school, but there is also someone in the dental program. I go to a really small undergrad. I believe that we are allowed 3-4 students per program, but we have never had that many, and some years they haven’t had any. My undergrad “accepted” me into the spot as a “specialty” on my major, but I believe that LECOM’s acceptance is the real deciding factor here.

I can’t quite remember my official ending high school GPA on a 4.0 credit scale (we measured in % and I believe my overall average was around 95% at my high school). I got a 1300 on the new SAT, and I believe they look for a min. of 1200 to even apply, but I can’t remember for sure (it was 5 year ago). I was super involved in high school activities, and had some (minor) hospital volunteering experience, but nothing very extreme compared to some of the others that applied. I think my dedication made me stand out as an applicant. Also, they really focus on meeting certain goals in undergrad and won’t accept you if they don’t think you are capable of reaching those goals.

I have no idea how many spots are in the EAP. Due to the pandemic, we never officially were able to meet with all of the other students in our matriculating year, and honestly this was never something I have thought to ask.

After acceptance to the EAP, you are actually given the choice of where you want to go and which pathway you want to choose (there is some competition between EAP students with pathways though). Also, you do not have to apply separately to Bradenton in the EAP.

Something to keep in mind though, once you are accepted into the EAP, they expect you to follow through with the program. We have been warned many times that if you are MCAT exempt and take it, you must get a certain score or else you will be dropped from the program. Also, if you apply to any other medical schools once in the EAP, you could be dropped from the program since they are holding a seat for you and expecting you to come.
Thank you for your detailed reply, Saigem.

Dedication means health-care related activities?

I thought that application to 3 northern campuses is separate from application to campus in Florida and by applying to both you double your chances. Looks like I was wrong and it is all one application. Good to know. I am glad you mentioned that.

Do applicants usually visit one of LECOM campuses before applying? Do they have days designated for the visits? I wonder if state of residency indeed plays a role (people say it does). In either case, all the campuses are a good number of driving hours from me...

At what point during LECOM EAP application, do people choose learning pathway? And can your choice of campus/learning style affect your chance admission?

Quick question, if accepted LECOM EAP, can you chose which UG school you go to, assuming Pre-health advisor agrees? Or does it have to be a feeder school?

Prussia1220, it is my understanding that you pick any college, but only within affiliated colleges list.

The more I learn about this program, the more I like it.

How competitive is it? Combined BSMD programs are ultra-competitive and are nearly impossible to get into. With good (but not perfect) stats, how likely is the acceptance to LECOM EAP? I know that stats are not everything... Obviously, volunteering and shadowing and good letters of rec will be a part of the application as well....

Thoughts?

Thank you for your detailed reply, Saigem.

Dedication means health-care related activities?

I thought that application to 3 northern campuses is separate from application to campus in Florida and by applying to both you double your chances. Looks like I was wrong and it is all one application. Good to know. I am glad you mentioned that.

Do applicants usually visit one of LECOM campuses before applying? Do they have days designated for the visits? I wonder if state of residency indeed plays a role (people say it does). In either case, all the campuses are a good number of driving hours from me...
Dedication to healthcare and also, LECOM.

It is required (or has been) that you must visit the campus you are attending each year of your undergrad after you are accepted so I would consider that.

At what point during LECOM EAP application, do people choose learning pathway? And can your choice of campus/learning style affect your chance admission?
You choose your last year of undergrad and if the seats are full for your chosen pathway they will accept you into a different one. Some pathways/schools are more competitive than others and they choose which EAP students go to which desired programs based on number of seats, GPA, and MCAT/SAT score

Dedication to healthcare and also, LECOM.

It is required (or has been) that you must visit the campus you are attending each year of your undergrad after you are accepted so I would consider that.
Thank you for letting me know! Once a year is not that bad... At least it is a drivable distance!

Last edited:
You choose your last year of undergrad and if the seats are full for your chosen pathway they will accept you into a different one. Some pathways/schools are more competitive than others and they choose which EAP students go to which desired programs based on number of seats, GPA, and MCAT/SAT score
Do you know if lecture based in Erie is considered competitive?

Do you know if lecture based in Erie is considered competitive?
HEY, so I got an update from LECOM because I matriculate after next school year (2022 is my matriculation year) and they told me how many spots they have and how the process is for picking your pathway.

• YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILL OUT AN AACOMAS.
  • The Medical School Affiliate Application will open after July 1, 2021 and will be available through your LECOM student portal. Please let us know if you do not see the form on your portal after July 1– The Deadline to fill out the Affiliate Medical School Application is November 1, 2021.
    • This application is where you will choose your campus preference and/or select your choice of learning pathway if attending the Erie campus.
    • If you are interested in attending the Bradenton campus, you will still fill out the same application after July 1.
  • Your portal will still read “Erie” even if you choose the Bradenton, Seton Hill or Elmira campus; Erie is the defaulted location for all applications from EAP students.
  • Space is limited at the Erie campus for those who choose the Problem-Based (PBL), Directed-Study (DSP) or Primary Car Scholars Pathway (PCSP). The top six (6) affiliate students are chosen for PBL- Erie and the top five (5) are chosen for the DSP pathway; There are two (2) seats available for affiliated students for the Primary Care Scholars Pathway (PCSP). The choice is based on the Academic Index Score (AIS). There is not a limitation on seats at the LECOM at Seton Hill campus, LECOM at Elmira or the LECOM-Bradenton campus. As long as you meet the application deadline (Nov 1), you will have the same opportunity to be selected for your chosen pathway, although it will still be based on your AIS through the Spring 2021 term. Once we receive your grade entry after the Spring 2021 term, we will notify you via email with your updated AIS.
  • Academic Index Score and the MCAT
    • If you have not done so already, please send your official ACT or SAT scores to LECOM (1858 West Grandview Blvd, Erie, PA 16509).
      • The code for the SAT is 7334
      • The code for ACT is 9948
  • If you are a “4+4” student, your AIS must be 115 or higher; a “3+4” student must be at 122 or higher in order to waive the MCAT requirement.
  • If your AIS is below 115, you will be required to take the MCAT; If you never took the SAT or ACT, the MCAT will be required.
    • Your MCAT score must be 500 or higher.
    • Per the agreement, if you need to take the MCAT you must take the exam prior to Dec 31, 2021.
    • If you choose to take the MCAT without being required to take the exam, your seat is still reserved, however, you must score a 500 or better.
  • If you are a “3+4” student and your AIS does not reach 122, you have the option of taking the MCAT (500 or better) OR transferring to a “4+4” program and starting at LECOM in 2023.
  • Admissions Process
    • Once the Fall 2021 term/semester is complete, you must send an official transcript to LECOM (Please send to Erie campus even if attending the Bradenton campus) and update your LECOM Grade Entry Portal. Once the transcript is received, we will verify all grades in which you have input into the Grade Entry Portal. You can mail or email Jack Ogden ([email protected]) your official transcript.
    • Once the grades are verified, we will update your LECOM admissions portal to show your admissions status, reflecting any pre-requisites that are in progress.
    • You must have two (2) letters of recommendation from core science professors OR a pre-health committee composite letter sent to the LECOM campus in Erie (even if you are attending Bradenton) no later than March 1, 2022. Your seat will not be in jeopardy if we do not receive the letters by this date. This is a guideline so that we can quickly finalize your file.
    • Once the letters are received (and the grades are verified), we will move your file to the admissions committee for the final “stamp of approval”.
    • You will be sent a Dean’s Letter that marks your official acceptance to LECOM. The letter will include a contingency that you finish your undergraduate work with a 3.4 overall GPA (3.5 in the “3+4”) or higher and a 3.2 or higher cumulative science GPA.
  • On Campus Day
    • Virtual Event to be held on two dates – Saturday, July 10 and Saturday, July 17 from 1pm-5pm (EST)
    • Attendance is required at both events
    • The two dates will have different presenters

WOW! That is a lot of information! Thank you, MearBearr!

It looks like PBL, DSP and PCSP at Erie are the most competitive. I did not get an impression that Lecture Based Learning spot at Erie is hard to get. Does it look the same way to you?

Also, it is interesting to see that choice priority is solely based on college GPA and SAT! (those two factors go into AIS calculations)

Has anybody applied to LECOM EAP first and THEN to UG college? It seems to make sense because acceptance to LECOM EAP would affect the list of colleges (narrow down to feeders only). Does it make sense?
Or you have to apply to feeders first and then proceed to LECOM EAP application?

Can’t say anything about the EAP program but I did do a Q&A with students at a feeder school the other day. I’m an MS1 and I did a masters at LECOM if you have questions on LECOM in general.

Asa0009, thank you so much for your post and your willingness to answer the questions :) .

Good Luck.
@mhusain..I am new to SDN and have questions about the LECOM EAP for my son-he will be a senior in HS this fall.
Is it possible that despite maintaining GPA and other requirements in undergrad, LECOM can deny admission to med school because they only have a limited number of seats for EAP students?

@mhusain..I am new to SDN and have questions about the LECOM EAP for my son-he will be a senior in HS this fall.
Is it possible that despite maintaining GPA and other requirements in undergrad, LECOM can deny admission to med school because they only have a limited number of seats for EAP students?
For Lecom EAP program, after a successful video interview and acceptance into affiliate undergrad school are you guaranteed a provisional letter of acceptance?

For Lecom EAP program, after a successful video interview and acceptance into affiliate undergrad school are you guaranteed a provisional letter of acceptance?
you already asked this on another thread. once is enough

I think the answer is yes.

I am applying now as a 1st year undergrad, but cannot receive the application until my official transcript is ready at the end of the semester because it says you need a full semester completed. I am trying to begin the process early and start my personal statement. Does anyone know the prompt or what the word limit is when applying to LECOM EAP.

I am applying now as a 1st year undergrad, but cannot receive the application until my official transcript is ready at the end of the semester because it says you need a full semester completed. I am trying to begin the process early and start my personal statement. Does anyone know the prompt or what the word limit is when applying to LECOM EAP.
I think there is no essay for LECOM EAP.