LECOM-Erie Interview....help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JO300

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interview next month in LECOM-Erie. and this is the only interview I get so far and I want to make it right. so please if any body have advice let me know. I have very high GPA and very low MCAT.

JO

Members don't see this ad.

JO300 said:
I have interview next month in LECOM-Erie. and this is the only interview I get so far and I want to make it right. so please if any body have advice let me know. I have very high GPA and very low MCAT.

JO

Read the feedback section. Every question is there, seriously. just make sure you have examples for all your answers, and you'll be fine. the whole thing was pretty low stress for me, and they keep reminding you that they already think you're smart enough- they've seen your gpa and mcat, and they want to get to know you.

good luck! I got my acceptance last night.

nerdgrrl said:
Read the feedback section. Every question is there, seriously. just make sure you have examples for all your answers, and you'll be fine. the whole thing was pretty low stress for me, and they keep reminding you that they already think you're smart enough- they've seen your gpa and mcat, and they want to get to know you.

good luck! I got my acceptance last night.

Thank you so much for the information.
can you tell me how long took them to send you the acceptance?
did they made a big deal about the MCAT?
what about the article which they let you read in the interview?
can I know who will interview me before the interviwe by couple days?

Thank you so much.
Jo

Members don't see this ad :)
JO300 said:

JO

Hi there, I was interviewed and accepted at LECOM-Erie. The students who are to be interviewed wait in a nice room where a professor delivers a small summary of the school. The students are then asked to come out one by one for the interview.

To be honest, I thought they were like the Supreme Court justices or something. Completely unemotional like statues. Now don't let that get you down, because in hindsight that might be a good thing - you don't have to worry about the potential expressions on interview committee's faces. Now you can better answer from the heart.

Some of the questions I remember them asking were something like:

1) What have you been doing since the time you applied to LECOM
2) If you could go back and make yourself a stronger canidate, what would you have done? (I said I should have taken basic Spanish for example)
3) What are sometimes when you have been in a confrontation and what did you do about it?
4 Why osteopathic medicine?

Those are the ones I remember from Erie. I wish you the best on the interview.

God speed you safe and sound,

C&C

JO300 said:

For me it took about three weeks.

JO300 said:

I can't really aid you here. I have a 24R and was accepted. Maybe if you have really good ECs that will matter much. DO schools tend to go heavy on ECs. Insane ECs will help a great deal as well as a good GPA.

JO300 said:

I remember it doing something about primary care physicians. But I really can't recall. But here are some tips,

1) Remember the big names of the individuals and what institutions
they are from
2) Remember the main topic of what the article is about
3) The interview committe will ask you at the end of the interview as to what you can remember. Try to relax, the article isn't a terribly complicated one.

JO300 said:

They don't do that at Erie.

JO300 said:

Thank you so much.
Jo

Hey Jo,

The LECOM-Erie interview is not stressful at all. It was my first interview, so I was pretty nervous at first. They made sure that everyone was comfortable and tried to make it as non-stressful as possible. So just relax and be yourself! They already know your numbers, now they want to get to know the person!

As for acceptance turnaround time - I interviewed the 16th of September and received my acceptance on the 5th of October in the mail. From what I've read, I believe they are taking a bit longer now to get back to students (a month or more).

They did not mention the MCAT at all during my interview. I thought they would, because I had a 23Q (way below what I had hoped!). But they didn't even mention it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they do, just be prepared with a response!

The article is no big deal. While you are given a presentation about the school, Erie, etc., you will receive an article which you are told to read and will have to summarize during your interview. For most of the interviewers, I think they only ask about it in passing. My interviewers almost forgot to ask me about it. As I was standing up to shake hands because the interview was over, one of them said, "Oh, the article!" and then laughed a bit. He asked for a quick, once-over. I told him the overall picture - no more than two sentences worth of info. He said that was good enough for him and walked me back to the presentation room. This is definitely not anything to stress over! :)

I'm not sure if you can find out who is going to interview you in advance. You might call the school for information. We received a sheet with our interviewers on it when we arrived the morning of the interview. I asked our student tour guide about my interviewers and he gave me some pointers. You might want to do the same.

Good luck! Hope to see you at LECOM next year!

Cory

JO300 said:

Thank you so much.
Jo

It took about four and a half weeks for the letter, but other people that interviewed the same day as me found out after about three. who knows what the delay was. they didn't say a word about the mcat, although I did pretty well, so I wasn't expecting them to question it. they also didn't question my 2.8 science gpa. I thought the interview was open file, but I'm not really sure now. the article thing was pretty stupid, and they acknowledged that. Dr Wize (I think that's his name?), the registrar said he wasn't sure why they still have applicants do it, and my interviewers just kind of ended the interview with, "well, we're supposed to ask you about the article you read, so can you summarize it for us?" you won't know who will interview you- I didn't know until I walked into the room. but it's ok, it doesn't really matter who does.

JO300 said:

JO

Try not to stress about this interview.. it was definetely the least intimidating one ive been on, and all of the staff members are really pleasant and accomodating.. youll do great..

it took about a month from the time of the interview for me to recieve my acceptance letter.

How long after your applications were complete did it take to get an interview??

JennyS211 said:
How long after your applications were complete did it take to get an interview??

I had an interview invite about three weeks after I sent in my secondary, before they had my recommendations. I didn't take the august MCAT, but that didn't seem to be slowing people up either. there were people at the interview whose files still weren't complete.

Thank you so much all of you.
I am nervous about the interview and I am hoping it will go will

Jo

JO300 said:
Thank you so much all of you.
I am nervous about the interview and I am hoping it will go will

Jo

I have my interview on December 19th-- when is yours??

Everyone at LECOM is super nice. I interviewed :) and waitlisted :( there last year. The whole process is pretty low stress. The good thing about interviewing in December is that it is all in one building, otherwise you might freeze to death in Erie! Like what others have said, they pretty much ask questions straight from a list, so by browsing the interview feedback, you can get a very good idea of what they'll be asking you. LECOM's facilities are pretty good, and the pathway idea is really great. Good luck

jschro21 said:
Everyone at LECOM is super nice. I interviewed :) and waitlisted :( there last year. The whole process is pretty low stress. The good thing about interviewing in December is that it is all in one building, otherwise you might freeze to death in Erie! Like what others have said, they pretty much ask questions straight from a list, so by browsing the interview feedback, you can get a very good idea of what they'll be asking you. LECOM's facilities are pretty good, and the pathway idea is really great. Good luck

When did you interview last year? And would you mind posting your stats and if you were eventually accepted?

Thanks!

I didn't submit my secondaries until Jan-Feb last year. I had a 3.76 GPA, tons of involvement...etc, etc. But I only had a 19Q MCAT. I was in on the last interview date (April 29, I think). I knew the class was pretty much full, but I was hoping to get in off the waitlist. I was waitlisted, but never got off. Oh, well, I feel tons more prepared this year! Everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?!

jschro21 said:
Everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?!

It certainly does. Good luck with future acceptances!

jschro21 said:
I didn't submit my secondaries until Jan-Feb last year. I had a 3.76 GPA, tons of involvement...etc, etc. But I only had a 19Q MCAT. I was in on the last interview date (April 29, I think). I knew the class was pretty much full, but I was hoping to get in off the waitlist. I was waitlisted, but never got off. Oh, well, I feel tons more prepared this year! Everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?!

Do you think that the main reason you didn't get off the waitlist because you applied late?

yeah, I think so. We had a LECOM waitlist thread last year and no one got off. I don't know that anyone did. I feel like I might have even gotten a seat if I applied early. The interview went really well. Hopefully a slightly better MCAT, better LORs, and an early app will contribute to a better outcome. I was impressed that Dr. Wise, the Admissions Director, said that if you were selected for an interview, than they already think you're good enough to be a student there. They simply want to see if personalities are compatable. So anyone with low MCATs that still get interviews, they obviously see tons of merit elsewhere, otherwise they wouldn't waste time giving interviews. Good luck to all, and keep the faith low MCATers (while studying tons)!

jschro21 said:
yeah, I think so. We had a LECOM waitlist thread last year and no one got off. I don't know that anyone did. I feel like I might have even gotten a seat if I applied early. The interview went really well. Hopefully a slightly better MCAT, better LORs, and an early app will contribute to a better outcome. I was impressed that Dr. Wise, the Admissions Director, said that if you were selected for an interview, than they already think you're good enough to be a student there. They simply want to see if personalities are compatable. So anyone with low MCATs that still get interviews, they obviously see tons of merit elsewhere, otherwise they wouldn't waste time giving interviews. Good luck to all, and keep the faith low MCATers (while studying tons)!

They did not ask you that why your MCAT is low?

jschro21 said:

Thank you so much for your response. This is what they told me in the interview so this is the hope I am hanging onto! :)

I am interviewing there on Dec 15......anyone else interviewing then? :)

jschro21 said:
So anyone with low MCATs that still get interviews, they obviously see tons of merit elsewhere, otherwise they wouldn't waste time giving interviews. Good luck to all, and keep the faith low MCATers (while studying tons)!

Just curious, JSchro21--my grades are lowish (about 3.00 post-bacc science, 3.2 ug) and I haven't yet taken the MCAT but my practice tests are between 25-30. I seem to be good at standardized tests and kind of bad at course exams, and I hope to get it up over 30 after more practice and review. Does this sound like ballpark stats for a school like LECOM?

Thanks and good luck to you!

-bp