Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Lecom Erie Official Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by vanstudent1986, Mar 24, 2007.

1. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all, I just create this thread for all who got accepted to Lecom Erie. This would be great way to post roommate info, school info, concerns, ect. It would also be a great way for all of us to get to know each other.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    So let me start. I am thinking I will be attending lecom in the fall. I am from Birmingham, AL and am Asian(Vietnamese). If anybody knows anything about apartment, please let me know. I'm also a little nervous about tackling a 3 years program since I only been in college for 4 semesters. Does anybody know if the school is really tough. Thanks

4. Triple P

Triple P Say Wahhht?

Pharmacy Student
    You're from Birmingham? Y not Samford? That school is soo beautiful and the program is very nice! ...I'm actually waiting to hear from them. I did get in at LECOM - Bradenton thou. Good luck up north w/ the 3-year program! :)

5. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy

I did get accepted to samford but I think its a little more economical to go to lecom. Samford is $23,000 a year X 4 and Lecom is only $20,000 a year X 3. I would also gain a year by graduating a year early. My biggest worry is if I will be able to handle the three years. It has been hard to contact any lecom students on the forum. No luck at all yet. If anybody could help, greatly appreciated.

6. soccergirl13

Pre-Pharmacy
    hey vanstudent1986

I got into lecom erie a month ago. I got my financial aid packet, but they told me that they would be sending a housing packet out around the end of may or early june. I guess that's so that when they send all the final decisions will have been made. As for the program I think the first two years are going to be hard, but the last year is just all your rotations and you get out a year earlier.

For the housing check out this site, it has a bunch of different apartment complexes that are up for rent. Just hit tour and it should take you to them.

http://www.homesandland.com/ApartmentsListing.cfm?&ListingId=2393222

Most of the apartments are very nice, but a little pricey. Hope this helps:)

7. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks Soccergirl

Maybe I'll see you in the fall. A student from lecom is going to contact me soon and I post what he or she says. I asked the admission office about retention rate and board passing rate. They have a 98 % passing of the board but will not disclose retention rate. I dont know if they are trying to hide something or not. Maybe it's high number so that is why they kept it a secret.

8. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

I'll be going to LECOM Erie in the fall also. I haven't even done my FAFSA yet. The lady that prepared my taxes made an error and had to redo them. So I just now got my tax info in hand. Hopefully I can do that tonight. Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I look forward to seeing y'all in a few months.

9. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

I was wondering if any of you have sent official transcripts to LECOM yet or if you're going to wait until we get the packet in May with the entire list of everything we need to send?

10. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    I still need to finish off the spring term before I send in my official transcript. Does anybody know about getting your hours before actually starting lecom. I read somewhere that penn. lets you do that. My question is do you have to be in penn. and working to get those hours counted.

11. CHEMnerd

Pre-Pharmacy

I'll also be going to LECOM in the fall! Congrats to everyone!
    I haven't sended my official transcripts yet, other than when I applied...I'm waiting until May when we start getting more information. Has anybody been looking for apartments?

This was a good idea to start this thread! Looking forward to meeting everybody!

12. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

I haven't started looking for a place to stay. I'd really like to rent a house but I'm not sure what they have available up there. I won't be able to seriously start looking for a place until June since I'm here in Texas until the very end of May. I still have to sell my house here. :scared: I hope it sells quickly or it will be a real pain.

13. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    I figured why start a new thread if I can ask my question in this relevant thread.

Just wondering for those of you who were accepted to LECOM Erie; how long was the wait from the interview to when you received the decision in the mail?

Thanks to anyone who has the time to answer this.

14. soccergirl13

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think I had to wait about a week after my interview before I received my acceptance letter, but they had originally told me that it would be 1-2 months before I could hear anything.

15. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

The time between the interview and the arrival of the acceptance letter was 2.5 weeks for me.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    It was a week for me but I never received any letter. They had emailed me a month later saying that my deadline had passed for turning in the deposit and asked me if I was still interested. I called them the next day and told them I never received the letter and so they gave me another month.

18. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for the feedback, just wanted to get an idea of the standard time frame if it's "good news" in the mail. I know a few others who are still waiting (only about 1.5 weeks now) for that piece of mail.

If anyone else has been accepted to LECOM Erie, please share how long you had to wait for the "life altering" piece of mail.

19. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

Do any of you know if the anatomy we are going to be taking is gross anatomy? I'm hoping that we don't have to do dissect a cadaver. I was looking at the virtual tour on the LECOM website and it shows the gross anatomy lab. Maybe this is just for med students. Anyone know for sure?

20. MarcoPolo

I don't really know what to make of this. I had an interview about three weeks to a month ago with a faculty member from LECOM on the phone. I haven't heard anything from them yet. Is it a bad idea to call them and check on my post interveiw status or will it make me look desperate :)

Given the average amount of time most people had to wait to hear from the school mine just seemed to be unusuall.

I need your advice and Thanking you in advance.

Marco.

21. soccergirl13

Pre-Pharmacy
    Maybe they are taking so long now because they have to wait for those who have pending acceptance letters out. They give me a month to send them the deposit, so this could be the reason and as soon as some of those people decline they will send out another round of acceptance letters. It may have nothing to do with a bad interview and you could receive your acceptance letter soon, they may just be waiting at this point. Hope this helps.:)

22. CHEMnerd

Pre-Pharmacy
    When I went to the oncampus day, they said the anatomy lab is more text-book style...its not much of a hands on lab as you would find in undergrad. so the cadaver disection im sure would be for med students only. hope this helps!:luck:

23. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

That's good news. Thanks for the info.

24. pharm004

pharm004 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I had my interview about 1 month ago with a faculty member and I am waiting. I thought about calling to check on my status but also had the same hesitation you have.

My friend that is currently attending LECOM said he waited about 1 and a half months after his interview last year to get the acceptance. Also, the time we had our interview was at the same time as LECOM's deadline so their workload is definately a lot bigger than before. If I haven't heard anything in another few weeks I will probably call.

Good luck!

25. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

What kind of schedule did your friend have his first year at LECOM? How does he like the school?

26. chem123

Pre-Pharmacy
    hey for ppl who got in to LECOME erie, what were ur stats if u dont mind me asking, i'm interested in there 3 year program

27. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy

I got in but my gpa is a 4.0. No BS so I am doing the 2+3 route. they get about 3200-3500 applications each year. so about a 4 % acceptance rate. Hope this helps. OH next year...lecom is requiring an on campus interview. NO more phone interview for those who are planning on saving on airfare..

28. soccergirl13

Pre-Pharmacy
    My gpa is a 3.6, with a pcat of 75. It's not amazing, but I also have 2 years of pharmacy experience and the pharmacists I work with wrote me some awesome recommendation letters. I think that's what put me over the top. No BS either. Best advice I can give is apply as early as you can because they have a rolling admission.

29. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    Well, let me express my gratitude to the other members of this forum who shared their time, info/knowledge, and for putting up with my questions and helped a stranger out. It's a testament to the quality of this forum and this community. So, thanks to all of those deserve it and I will continue to try and contribute to the community. :thumbup:

On to the news I wanted to share. As my screen name implied, it was LECOM Erie or "bust" for me and thankfully I found out today, it's not "bust". It took about 8-9 days from when I had the interview. I now understand the feeling of elation and validation others must have felt when the letter carries good news. There's nothing quite like it. :thumbup:

Hey vanstudent1986, I'm Asian/Viet as well. You male/female?

30. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

Congrats!! I'm so glad to hear you got accepted. Now you can relax and just enjoy your time between now and when school starts. See you in the fall.

31. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    Thank you for your help Glowwyrm and hopefully we get a chance to know each other and other forum members by their real names in the fall.

32. Dr2011

Dr2011 UF Class of 2011 Orlando

Pharmacist
    Hello everyone,
    I had phone interview w/ LECOM bradenton around mid-fed and I heard from them in less than 10 days that I have been accepted. this was my first acceptance to a pharmacy school. but then after a week i found out that I have been accepted to NOVA so i decided to go to nova and not LECOM. i have interview w/ uf next fri... hopefully i will get in uf.. it would be lot cheaper to go school there.
    Good luck everyone!!

33. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy

I am male...what about you...I'll see you in the fall then...I talk to a student and a professor at lecom erie last week and am for sure to go to lecom. The girl I talked to said the school is not bad at all. Many students graduate and pass the Naplex. I think about 5-10 drop out and most are family reasons and not grades. She also said they have books but you don't really need to need to read them unless for clarification. I love to hear that because I hate to read textbooks.

34. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    Male... I saw the numbers for LECOM Erie and it's pretty tough for males to get accepted (like every other pharmacy school) nearly 3:1. So being a male and Asian is seriously stacking the deck against yourself, in 2005 LECOM accepted 3. Wish they had the numbers for 2006 available.

I don't mind reading textbooks that are well written, but I'm reading this Cell Bio. textbook now and it's pretty brutal (the course itself is also brutal).

35. CHEMnerd

Pre-Pharmacy
    where did u find the numbers for 2005? does LECOM post it on their website?

36. pharm004

pharm004 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey Glowwyrm my friend loves LECOM - he was accepted to multiple schools and doesn't regret his decision one bit. His only complaint is the brutally cold winter. His schedule it fairly close to M-F 8-4. He said the coursework is intense but he likes it - he feels that the professors are very knowledgeable and love what they do.

I am very excited to be accepted to LECOM. I interviewed on 3/5/07 and just received my letter today. Wahoo!!

37. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the weather. But, I think we'll adjust after a while.

Congrats on the acceptance. Looks like we're going to have several SDNers in our class. It's nice to at least sort of know your classmates before school starts.

38. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy

Hi Glowwyrm,

Lecom website has the schedule for the spring term up for 1st and 2nd year students. They mostly go from 8-5 but have plenty of free/study/advisor time in between. You might want to check it out..

39. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

I just checked it out. Thanks.

40. babybunc

Pre-Pharmacy
    Im a student in tampa and i applied to bradenten LECOM. They received my pharmcas app at the beggining of spring break...
    I dont kno if they are still accepting and if the are i dont even kno if i have a chance. my stats are as follows..

GPA-3.6
    Math 3.7
    Science 3.3
    some volunteer work at a hospital pharmacy

I really wnt to get in but am i just a faliurE???

Help please anyone!

41. babybunc

Pre-Pharmacy
    Im a student in tampa and i applied to bradenten LECOM. They received my pharmcas app at the beggining of spring break...
    I dont kno if they are still accepting and if the are i dont even kno if i have a chance. my stats are as follows..

GPA-3.6
    Math 3.7
    Science 3.3
    some volunteer work at a hospital pharmacy

I really wnt to get in but am i just a faliurE???

Help please anyone!

42. NetsRule

Pre-Pharmacy
    I got my application in around mid-februrary. I still haven't even gotten a interview or a rejection letter. Is there any hope left or is it basically over since its almost mid-April?!

43. LECOMorBUST

Pharmacy Student
    I know someone who submitted everything the week of the deadline (later than you) and they have not heard anything yet and they certainly expect to. You should receive an email stating they have received your application as the 1st form of contact from LECOM.

44. Nezutora

Pharmacy Student
    Hi VanStudent,

Did the student/professor at LECOM also say anything about the distribution of pharmD graduates in their specializations (like what percent went into retail/hospital/clinical etc.)? I'm asking becuase I heard someone say that LECOM trains students primarily for retail/community pharmacy, and I'm more interested in hospital/clinical pharmacy.'

Thanks! :)

45. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member

You shouldn't have any trouble getting into hospital pharmacy. You'll probably want to think about doing a residency though.

From LECOM's website:
    There are also a wide variety of practice settings for our graduates to choose from including, community, hospital, industry, mail service/internet, managed care, government, academia, and others.

Something else that I found interesting on the website:
    We had more PharmCAS applications than any other school or college of pharmacy for our Class of 2009, which enrolled in September of 2006. <---wow

46. ForTce

ForTce Banned
    Banned

This is absolutely wrong... Last year, there were only 2 that went to their residency at Millcreek... which belongs to the Feretti family... The rest went to retail or hospital (staff).

This is absolutely true... the simple reason is because LECOM is listed in Pharmcas and they don't consider the PCAT. I personally did pretty bad on the pcat... haha... 4 percentile composite... anyway, i'll be a pharmacist in 8 weeks...
    If you have any question regarding LECOM, don't hesitate to ask me!

My Graduation at LECOM

47. ForTce

ForTce Banned
    Banned

You can rent a house for $370 (water included)/month
    It's 2 min from LECOM (right behind the school parking lot)

48. pharm2

Pre-Pharmacy

hey how r you? I am also joining Lecom in Fall. I am from chicago. I am worried about the apartment. I haven't been in penn before. I hope we all can help each other finding the nice and economical place to live.

49. soccergirl13

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey ForTce

I was wondering if the housing packet that they send out at the end of May will set me up with potential roommates and stuff like that or does it just give some good places to rent?

50. NetsRule

Pre-Pharmacy
    I didnt even get an e-mail yet. Do you think its taking really long for them to go through them or maybe mine got lost?

51. vanstudent1986

Pre-Pharmacy
    For those worrying about housing in erie, DON'T BE...there are plenty of housing available in erie and they run pretty cheap, well, compared to where I am living it is(Birmingham, AL). I contacted several apartments in erie near the school they all told me that there are usually apartments available. They say the best time to contact them if we were to move in September is around mid august. I plan to travel up there in August myself and check things about. They say that if you are applying, just bring your financial aid report stating the amount of loans you have available and they will use that as you credit.

52. lglasgow86

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I got my acceptance letter to LECOM on Easter. I also applied to WVU, but haven't heard anything yet. Any advice about choosing a school if I get in to both? Also feel free to talk to me. It would be nice to get to know a lot of people before September. Thanks!