LECOM Erie students please reply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bklyngirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to LECOM Erie this September and would appreciate input and advice from current LECOM Erie students.
Based on your stats, do you think my 3.3 pharmcas overall GPA would be competitive enough for consideration?
Are you satisfied with your experiences at LECOM Erie so far?
Outside of the pharmacy world, are there many opportunities to get involved in other areas of interest, such as music performance, sports, dance...?
How difficult is it to get settled with housing, and would you need a car?
Last, but definitely not least, what should I expect the approximate overall cost to be for the total three years; housing & meals included?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a current LECOM erie student but I was accepted there and yes you can get in with your gpa granted you have a good pcat and extracurriculars.

Hey!

LECOM is actually my top pick for pharmacy school. Just to give you some background, my GPA was a 3.3 on PharmCAS when I applied but I didn't get in. However, I applied very late in the cycle with my final file undergoing review in March because of a late pCAT report. :(

Anyway bottom story is I got rejected, however I do intend to apply this coming semester again with more extra-curriculars and a higher gpa due to last semester and summer courses.

As for housing, when I visited LECOM erie in feb, they had housing [apartments] going up next to the school which from what I understand is built pretty much for the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ya apply early I had my application in by november and got interviewed in january and accepted because of that.

Thank you all for the info.
I'll look further into the possible housing that will be available, as I plan on doing without a car to reduce additional expenses. Pharmacy school tuition is enough in itself!

How much do they pay for pharmacy intern over there? Any job opportunities there? What about nurse 's pay? Despite the busy schedule, I think I have to work a bit during school for money and most importantly for experience.

By the way, the school will start earlier than I thought.. it's september 4th.

How much do they pay for pharmacy intern over there? Any job opportunities there? What about nurse 's pay? Despite the busy schedule, I think I have to work a bit during school for money and most importantly for experience.

By the way, the school will start earlier than I thought.. it's september 4th.

Yeah, they changed it from late Sept to early Sept

I can't really comment on your stats and whether or not you would be accepted, only to say that there are definitely people in the program who have GPAs in the low 3's and they are all doing fine. I know that they look at other factors besides GPA when considering an applicant.

I think that LECOM is a means to an ends. It's not a school that you really look back at fondly, like a lot of us do with our undergraduate schools. It's simply a way to complete your degree, with the bonus of being completed one year faster. If you have that idea in mind, LECOM is fine for what it is. There definitely aren't a lot of extracurriculars... I believe that there is a choir, a runner's club, and maybe a handful of other clubs that students have formed.

Housing is never a problem. There's plenty of apartments to go around.

If you want to have any life, you definitely need a car. A lot of Erie streets don't even have sidewalks, and you really need to drive to get anywhere.

Hey, I'm new to the sdn and I'm trying to figure out how to post a new thread....can somebody help please??

I can't really comment on your stats and whether or not you would be accepted, only to say that there are definitely people in the program who have GPAs in the low 3's and they are all doing fine. I know that they look at other factors besides GPA when considering an applicant.

I think that LECOM is a means to an ends. It's not a school that you really look back at fondly, like a lot of us do with our undergraduate schools. It's simply a way to complete your degree, with the bonus of being completed one year faster. If you have that idea in mind, LECOM is fine for what it is. There definitely aren't a lot of extracurriculars... I believe that there is a choir, a runner's club, and maybe a handful of other clubs that students have formed.

Housing is never a problem. There's plenty of apartments to go around.

If you want to have any life, you definitely need a car. A lot of Erie streets don't even have sidewalks, and you really need to drive to get anywhere.

Thanks for all the info.
A few more questions, if you don't mind - What do you calculate the actual cost to be for the total three years (including housing/meal costs)?
Are you able to do your rotations close to home, and if so, are there ways to rent for partial year?
If I'm admitted, I'll have loads of study time because unfortunately I'll be without a car!:(

Hey, I'm new to the sdn and I'm trying to figure out how to post a new thread....can somebody help please??

On the page with all the threads at the top there is a new thread button...

Thanks for all the info.
A few more questions, if you don't mind - What do you calculate the actual cost to be for the total three years (including housing/meal costs)?
Are you able to do your rotations close to home, and if so, are there ways to rent for partial year?
If I'm admitted, I'll have loads of study time because unfortunately I'll be without a car!:(

They estimate around 45,000 a year for expenses+tuition but that depends greatly on the student, and how much you plan to spend on certain things etc. (~20k is tuition)

I was told as long as you find a preceptor, you can do your rotations wherever.

As for housing, there are short term leases, but that is going to depend on the company you are leasing the apartment from. You would have to check with them to see if they do that.