Lecom interview invite!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lecom interview on jan 8th, i want all the opinions i can get about this school and experiences people had interviewing there? This will help me evaluate how i view other schools i have applied or accepted! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Which LECOM?

I had 2 interviews and will be attending LECOM-Erie. PM Me for any q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok then, I have some opinions to share.

I did not care for the place at all. It had absolutely no personality. Here were the problems I had with LECOM:

The interview consists of being asked a list of standardized questions every interviewee is asked, so I felt they didn't really get to know you that well, and it was quite boring.

Dress code.

Have to choose a learning pathway, which consists of either straight lecture, problem based learning, or independent study. I would rather they had PBL integrated into the curriculum where it is appropriate. I wouldn't want to learn exclusively that way. Also, if you choose lecture, it is mandatory. I would want the freedom to attend lecture when I think it is benefiting me, and then do some independent studying when I feel that is the best study option at a certain time

I'm not to sure about the idea of prosections only for anatomy lab.

While observing people there, nobody seemed happy. This goes for faculty, interviewers, and students. They seemed weary and robotic to me, which I could understand, based on the overall feeling and vibe the place seems to give off.

Then there are a few more problems, but they are kind of specific to my situation, and wouldn't really apply to anyone else.

I interviewed on november 17th. I thought the atmosphere was very upbeat. All the students I came across were very friendly. I think having four different pathways to choose from shows that the school is very progressive and is willing to accomodate several different learning styles. The fourth pathway being the primary care physicians pathway, which is basically ISP, in which you can graduate with a D.O. in three years. As for mandatory attendance, I think it is a good idea to require it if you choose the lecture based curriculum. If you don't, you know there's going to be people who are going to get lazy and begin to skip here or there, and eventually fall behind. It's there for the students' own good. However, if lecture isn't your best learning style, independent study students are allowed to sit on any and all lectures if they want, so you do have an option. The questions during the interview are standardized for every applicant, but in my opinion that makes it fair for everyone invited for an interview. There was another post about a week ago titled, I think, "my first interview" and many of the interview questions were answered. All in all, i had a very favorable impression of the school. There aren't very many other D.O. programs that offer so many different options to earn your degree. :thumbup:

Ok then, I have some opinions to share.

I'm not to sure about the idea of prosections only for anatomy lab.

I just had my interview today and the anatomy teacher said it is a combination of prosection and dissection.

I just had my interview today and the anatomy teacher said it is a combination of prosection and dissection.

yes. next year they're switching to half-prosection/half-dissection. best of both worlds :thumbup: :laugh:

I think LECOM is a good school if you're looking for a small city location. The Independent Study track is great if you're into that kind of learning.

A lot of mixed opinions, honestly it's not even close to being my no.1 choice..but i will sure check it out and see how i feel! Overall, PCOM would be the only school that would make me throw out other acceptances.

I'm an MS1 at LECOM-Erie and anatomy lab was a lot of dissection this year. When we did do prosection, my lab group found it a lot more productive because we could learn rather than spend the whole time dissecting and being unsure of what we were doing. Overall it was good experience. But a couple of things I didn't like...there are 6 people in lab groups and it can get crowded and there aren't enough anatomy professors for the number of groups in lab at one time.

They are accommodating there...they didnt' care that I showed up 20 min late for my interview ;)

i was invited for an lecom interview as well, on jan. 11th. i've been checking the interview feedback and have been seeing people mention the "9 questions" a lot. I've been checking many interview posts to find them, but with no luck. Does anyone know them off hand so I don't go nuts clicking on every interview post? haha

i was invited for an lecom interview as well, on jan. 11th. i've been checking the interview feedback and have been seeing people mention the "9 questions" a lot. I've been checking many interview posts to find them, but with no luck. Does anyone know them off hand so I don't go nuts clicking on every interview post? haha

Every question someone posts is one of the 9 questions, some people just post a few each time. Just look through the most recent ones, that's what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)

why do you want to be a D.O., what are your strengths, what are your weaknessess, how do you handle conflict, what's something about yourself that's not on your application, how do you deal with stress, when is a team appoach better than an individual approach, how have you shown leadership in the past, summarize the article, do you have any questions (not you, that's what they ask).

why do you want to be a D.O., what are your strengths, what are your weaknessess, how do you handle conflict, what's something about yourself that's not on your application, how do you deal with stress, when is a team appoach better than an individual approach, how have you shown leadership in the past, summarize the article, do you have any questions (not you, that's what they ask).

hey thanks a lot - but what do you mean by "summarize the article" - they give you one to read and you summarize it on the spot...?

They have you read an article and then tell you what you thought it was about. This is one way for the interviewers to know you. DO you have opinions on what you read, did you just study and vomit it back out, what are your expeiences that you can bring to the table regarding the topic. Honestly not a big deal, just don't blank. Its not stressful, these people are just that, people. No worries.

I'm also an MS1 at LECOM. Check my other posts for throughts on the school and feel free to PM me with questions.

Also, BRING YOUR MITTENS AND BOOTS! We have snow, Erie is known to have that every once in awhile. I've heard there is a lake around or something...:D

They have you read an article and then tell you what you thought it was about. This is one way for the interviewers to know you. DO you have opinions on what you read, did you just study and vomit it back out, what are your expeiences that you can bring to the table regarding the topic. Honestly not a big deal, just don't blank. Its not stressful, these people are just that, people. No worries.

I'm also an MS1 at LECOM. Check my other posts for throughts on the school and feel free to PM me with questions.

Also, BRING YOUR MITTENS AND BOOTS! We have snow, Erie is known to have that every once in awhile. I've heard there is a lake around or something...:D

my interviewers didn't seem interested in what I thought. I was under the impression we were simply supposed to summarize it.

also wanted to add there's some variation to "the nine". For instance, I was asked how I had used communication to benefit others. And my "tell me something not on your app" question was phrased "do you have any updates since turning in your application?" that was too bad because I had a good answer for "Something not on my app".

Also good to see someone posting above who was also twenty minutes late! I got lost...:oops: :laugh:

I called LECOM today to ask about my status and didn't get an answer. How do they invite people to interview...phone call, email, U.S. mail??????

I called LECOM today to ask about my status and didn't get an answer. How do they invite people to interview...phone call, email, U.S. mail??????

I called to see if I was complete and they told me that I had been invited. I got a letter in the mail the next day.

I have a lecom interview on jan 8th, i want all the opinions i can get about this school and experiences people had interviewing there? This will help me evaluate how i view other schools i have applied or accepted! Thank you

I have an interview the same day! I went to college near there, and like the area. It's cold and there is a lot of snow, but i love wine & there are a ton of wineries. Erie is small, but I like the atmosphere, and have a bunch of friends there who love it.

I have an interview the same day! I went to college near there, and like the area. It's cold and there is a lot of snow, but i love wine & there are a ton of wineries. Erie is small, but I like the atmosphere, and have a bunch of friends there who love it.

Oh that's awesome, so i guess we will be seeing each other ;) Is lecom your top choice?

It's one of my top choices. I can't say for sure until I get there and see it. Like I said before, I loved the area, so I already have a preference for the school. Now all I need is a kick-ass interview to seal the deal! I'm glad I now know someone else who's interviewing on the same day!

It's one of my top choices. I can't say for sure until I get there and see it. Like I said before, I loved the area, so I already have a preference for the school. Now all I need is a kick-ass interview to seal the deal! I'm glad I now know someone else who's interviewing on the same day!

hehe...well how about you im me, we can share more ideas? Personally lecom's not even close to being my top 1 lol..i already have acceptances and interview offers iam evaluating at this point! PCOM's my no.1 choice!

Ok, deal :D. And, actually, PCOM is my first choice, too. I just don't want to get my hopes up! Did you interview at PCOM, already?

Ok, deal :D. And, actually, PCOM is my first choice, too. I just don't want to get my hopes up! Did you interview at PCOM, already?

no pcom's the one iam still waiting on lol However, if we both go there, i promise you a drink!!!