LECOM - Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zacheman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am going to be attending LECOM starting in 2021 and am looking at getting a new laptop. On LECOM's website, they recommend a windows based computer but I greatly prefer Mac. With that said, does anybody know anything about using a Mac at LECOM? Is it a bad idea?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was also thinking about getting a Mac and using boot camp when necessary.

I was thinking about doing that as well. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything more than I did about the topic before making a purchase.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about doing that as well. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything more than I did about the topic before making a purchase.
Wait for the Macbook Pro 14, it should come out in May.

Reactions: 1 users
I am attending LECOM (this summer/class of 2024), and I have a Mac, I don't plan on getting a new computer. I received an email from LECOM that stated these are the specifications required for your laptop:

-Intel Core i5 or i7 series processor or comparable AMD processor
-8 GB of RAM or higher
-256 GB hard driver or higher
-An 802.11a/c wireless card that supports WPA2-Enterprise is required for internet connection
-medical students are required to bring a privacy screen for their computer
-MAC OS X 10.15 Catalina
-Anti-virus software is required on ALL computers that connect to the LECOM network
-Apple Computers: limited support is offered for MAC computers

I am attending LECOM (this summer/class of 2024), and I have a Mac, I don't plan on getting a new computer. I received an email from LECOM that stated these are the specifications required for your laptop:

-8 GB of RAM or higher
-An 802.11a/c wireless card that supports WPA2-Enterprise is required for internet connection
-MAC OS X 10.15 Catalina
-Anti-virus software is required on ALL computers that connect to the LECOM network
Sounds like you are on your own with a Mac should any technical difficulty arises. I would just get a Windows laptop to be on the safe side, at the very least the IT department won't blame your laptop for being a Mac if it freezes mid-exam.

That’s for your help guys! I was also able to reach out to a current M3 and she informed me that basically everyone uses a Mac and that she hasn’t experienced any issues with using one.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

I am going to be attending LECOM starting in 2021 and am looking at getting a new laptop. On LECOM's website, they recommend a windows based computer but I greatly prefer Mac. With that said, does anybody know anything about using a Mac at LECOM? Is it a bad idea?

Thanks!
you're going to lecom in 2021, you're in an early acceptance program?

I emailed to ask about this and was told Mac's are okay except that technical support is limited. My plan is to use my Macbook and if something goes incredibly wrong, maybe buy a cheap window laptop just for tests.

Sweet! Thanks for the information!

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
med school is the same as undergrad computer-wise. do what you want. the old toads and IT nerds want you to use windows because they don't know anything.

Current fourth year lecom student. Used a Mac all 4 years never had an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Alumni here. Used MAC book PRO all 4 years of pharmacy school at lecom

Members don't see this ad :)

-8 GB of RAM or higher
-MAC OS X 10.15 Catalina

I purchased my MacBook literally last year, It's a MacBook Pro 2017, but it's only 128 GB. Is there any way I could increase the 128 GB?

I purchased my MacBook literally last year, It's a MacBook Pro 2017, but it's only 128 GB. Is there any way I could increase the 128 GB?
I would literally worry more about your keyboard failing than the 128 GB storage.

• Haha
you could always just get an external hard drive with more storage, you can get a 1TB storage for about $50

You can upgrade your storage. I recommended looking up some youtube videos on how to take it apart and upgrade if you don’t feel like lugging around a 1TB hard drive.

Lol 128 gb is nothing.

You can upgrade your storage. I recommended looking up some youtube videos on how to take it apart and upgrade if you don’t feel like lugging around a 1TB hard drive.

Lol 128 gb is nothing.
a 1TB hard drive is basically the palm of your hand, I don't know if I would recommend taking apart your laptop

a 1TB hard drive is basically the palm of your hand, I don't know if I would recommend taking apart your laptop
They’re meant to be upgradeable (easy access after u take off the back cover) and the read/write times of an NVME ssd will blow a USB 3.0 1TB external hard drive outta the water. Yeah, it’s not THAT big, but I still wouldn’t want to have one extra thing to carry around. That’s just me though. If you are uncomfortable opening up your laptop and upgrading it, then you can always have someone else do it!

you can always link your google drive (i did it for windows) and that is extra 500 GB online storage

They’re meant to be upgradeable (easy access after u take off the back cover) and the read/write times of an NVME ssd will blow a USB 3.0 1TB external hard drive outta the water. Yeah, it’s not THAT big, but I still wouldn’t want to have one extra thing to carry around. That’s just me though. If you are uncomfortable opening up your laptop and upgrading it, then you can always have someone else do it!

you can always link your google drive (i did it for windows) and that is extra 500 GB online storage
well there’s nothing on my laptop. I only use safari on it and use pages for some notes. Other than that, I don’t keep pictures or download anything on it. No applications, no saved pictures, etc. I solely use it for the purpose of Safari and Pages to take notes, which is why I feel as if I didn’t need more storage if that’s my only reason. so I’m not sure if I’d benefit with more storage

Sounds like google file stream (linking your google drive) is the best option then. Here's a guide and the download link for google file stream. Here's what it looks like on my PC, it'll be similar on a mac.

8mcmJxk.png

Link: Download Google Drive

Sounds like google file stream (linking your google drive) is the best option then. Here's a guide and the download link for google file stream. Here's what it looks like on my PC, it'll be similar on a mac.

8mcmJxk.png

Link: Download Google Drive

Thank you for the help! As well as anyone else whose replied to me. I will def check this out tonight :)