LECOM LDP students: How much do you study per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I know, LECOM LDP students are required to attend lecture from 8 to 4 on all weekdays, and I've mostly seen people complain about it or say they have less free time/flexibility than PBL students.

Outside of that 8-9 hr/day of class, how much studying per week is typical? And is it really that much worse than other pathways?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, LECOM LDP students are required to attend lecture from 8 to 4 on all weekdays, and I've mostly seen people complain about it or say they have less free time/flexibility than PBL students.

Outside of that 8-9 hr/day of class, how much studying per week is typical? And is it really that much worse than other pathways?

It's not 8-4 everyday. Some weeks (esp first week of second year) are worse than others (anatomy). On average I would study for 4-5 hours a night during the week and then 8-10 hours a day, Saturday and Sunday. Really just depended on how well I understood the material. Some weeks I'd take a day or night off from studying and others I would go weeks without having a day off, especially when I was studying for boards. My goal during the week was to get through all the lectures of the day each night. Then I'd review on the weekends.

I wouldn't call it worse than the other pathways, each has its pluses(?sp) and minuses. With LDP there is a bit of variety in the teaching. Some professors lectures are really well done so you don't have to really go over it again too much to really absorb the material. Others...you'll be surfing the net or playing minesweeper the whole time because you can't or won't get anything out of lecture time and have to learn it on your own later.

With the attendance policy (which is enforced on a semi-regular basis), you can figure out which professors are the "worth listening" vs the "not worth listening" and can either *cough* skip *cough* lecture and do other things or just tune them out and do something else. If you're more of an independent learner and are starting out in LDP then try and see if you can switch to ISP after anatomy. The other option is to try and switch after first year (I know many people who used this option).

The downside to ISP is trying to learn the material by yourself, but most in ISP formed study groups which worked well for them. You also get a little less clinical exposure since LDP gets clinicians lecturing during systems (i.e. GI, cardio, etc) and that can inject a little more interesting topics than what the modules provide.