lecom police force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah. It shouldn't matter if you are being disrespectful to other people who may have chosen the school because they appreciate the clean and orderly setting... so long as you get to have your way. It is insulting to ask a person to live up to their agreements. After all, only what makes sense to you is important.

It isn't that I don't think that I cannot be trusted to dispose of a water bottle properly... it is that I believe that people who think like you cannot. Special little millienial snowflakes like you are the reason these rules need to exist.

Ouch!
Sizzle, burnnnn !

Members don't see this ad.

The question is - if I found one of my fellow classmates drinking a water bottle in the hallway, should I report it to the dean, confront the student, not tell anyone, or call the police.

This is why ethics questions are so hard people.

Reactions: 1 users
The question is - if I found one of my fellow classmates drinking a water bottle in the hallway, should I report it to the dean, confront the student, not tell anyone, or call the police.

Confront the student, then call the police ftw.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Place them under citizens arrest via choke hold into unconsciousness...call police...practice resuscitation skills. Everyone is a winner.

Reactions: 6 users

Immediate citizen's arrest. It shows initiative.

Place them under citizens arrest via choke hold into unconsciousness...call police...practice resuscitation skills. Everyone is a winner.

Well when the police arrive will he or she get tried as pre-meditated or heat of passion. Pennsylvania has to know how to take care of these negligent moonlighters since they still promote prohibition. These are important questions people.

Reactions: 1 user
Well when the police arrive will he or she get tried as pre-meditated or heat of passion. Pennsylvania has to know how to take care of these negligent moonlighters since they still promote prohibition. These are important questions people.

I'm pretty sure the law in PA is that carrying a single water bottle is a felony, but carrying a bulk 24 pack case of water bottles is all good and legal.

/just don't even think about ordering water online or from Delaware.

They need to have water detectors at the front entrance with signs of "absolutely no water beyond this point" and periodic intercom announcements "never leave your belongings unattended. report any suspicious activity to security. all bags are subject to search."

random security food screenings should be conducted to ensure adequate facility appearances

Does it still count as a water bottle if it is for douching? Seems like a more likely use, given the progress of this thread.

Yay! Another LECOM hate thread.

We had a few officers at LECOM-Bradenton and they were all awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Food for thought: way fewer actual LECOM students post complaints about LECOM policies than do pre-meds.

Dressing up was a pain for the first few weeks, now it's normal.
Not having food/water for the 1-2 hours we're in lecture/lab/PBL is not that big a deal.

Sure, it's not ideal, but it really doesn't matter enough to make THAT big of a difference on where you choose to attend, in my opinion.

For full disclosure: I'm at LECOM-SH, where we don't have the Erie police force and if you're not blatant/obnoxious you can carry a water bottle around without too much trouble.

Edited for grammar

Last edited:
Yay! Another LECOM hate thread.

We had a few officers at LECOM-Bradenton and they were all awesome.
Well SOMEONE has to keep the alligators away and keep senile Dick Vitale from sundowning and wandering onto campus.

33 cops seems like a lot, but don't forget that LECOM-Erie isn't just one building. There are two campuses (main and Bayfront), there is also the huge wellness center, there is the new senior health center that's being built, which will have many tenants and be a site for certain training, and some of those cops are probably also dealing with Millcreek hospital.

How do you know you're older and more professional than I am? Do we know each other?

You may have misinterpreted my earlier remarks. I don't mean to disrespect the people who go to that school. I just don't agree with the rules they have to follow. 99% of your class knows to place garbage in the trash can and come to school dressed like a sophisticated human being. The 1 guy who leaves trash laying around and walks into lecture with his pants sagging should be the one reprimanded, not the vast majority who behave and hold themselves highly.

You have way too much faith in people. A lot of med students (and premed students) are some of the most annoying people to be around. Tons of them don't know how to clean up after themselves. Your 99% may actually be closer to 50%. The rest are too busy trying to get 1 point higher on that A they got on a quiz worth 1% of their grades to notice the wrappers and other garbage they leave around. It's also relatively difficult to catch those people (unless you want to hire 33 more cops), especially when you have a lecture hall of 100 people to deal with. The solution for most schools is to enforce nothing and have a dedicated cleaning crew.

LECOM goes another way, because they have this belief that people should act like adults and be professional even if they aren't already inclined to be that way. Whether that's the best way to handle it, I don't know. Could they find a better way to express that, probably, but they didn't. Who cares? You know it before you come in, so if you can't live under rules, you don't have to

I have no idea why these threads keep popping up. Who cares about dresscode? Plenty of professional schools have dress codes. What, your complaint is about not eating and drinking in a lecture hall? Do you need to be snacking 24/7 anyway? I guess you can't wait for the 5-10 min break that happens every hour.

God, complain about something real. Why does LECOM charge $30k from every student for MS3 & MS4 when they have like 4 employees in the ClinEd department? Why do other DO schools charge $45k from students when their ClinEd departments are just as underwhelming? Why do some schools (LECOM included) force you to pay $3-$4k/yr for health insurance, when you can buy your own for half that? Granted all that has to do with COA, but I think you can all agree COA of med school is ridiculous, and at least it's something real to complain about.

Reactions: 5 users
Well SOMEONE has to keep the alligators away and keep senile Dick Vitale from sundowning and wandering onto campus.

I used to see Dick Vitali quite often at the Lakewood Ranch mall. Nice guy.

We did have an alligator in our pond before they took it...boo!!!

We thought about kidnapping a manatee and transplanting it in the pond. Never happened.

Food for thought: way fewer actual LECOM students post complaints about LECOM policy's than do pre-meds.

Dressing up was a pain for the first few weeks, now it's normal.
Not having food/water for the 1-2 hours we're in lecture/lab/PBL is not that big a deal.

Sure, it's not ideal, but it really doesn't matter enough to make THAT big of a difference on where you choose to attend, in my opinion.

For full disclosure: I'm at LECOM-SH, where we don't have the Erie police force and if you're not blatant/obnoxious you can carry a water bottle around without too much trouble.

I see these threads every once in a while and you nailed it right on the head. If I cared more about posting in this forum, I would've taken the time to write it out myself, but I'll just piggy-back on your reply. I can definitely speak from Bradenton campus that none of us care about the dress code. There's the occasional joke about water, that's about it. There's no terrorizing faculty or people getting expelled from school for bringing in water bottles (like everyone is making it sound in all of these threads that pop up). I don't know anything about this police force business since it concerns Erie, but if it's anything like 99% about LECOM, it's blown completely out of proportion by premeds or people who don't attend LECOM.

I've heard quite a few unusual stories about LECOM from students/residents that went to their various campuses. I've never heard such stories from students/residents that went to any other school, DO nor MD. I've also never met someone in person that had good things in general to say about the LECOM system.

If you're considering attending LECOM I would advise asking someone who went there about their thoughts.

I didn't go to LECOM, but being treated that way over bottled water might be a canary in the coalmine for how they are going to treat you when you are trying to set up audition rotations and the dates don't quite match up, or you are trying to get days off for residency interviews. Might be bottled water today and blowing your shot at the specialty you want later. Or not, I don't even know any LECOM students. But I would definitely sneak in bottled water if I went there.

LECOM seems like a decent school - I wouldn't dish out on the hate like LMU. However, that being said, I had friends who interviewed there and several DO schools and said they thought it sucked. JUST SAYING- I'm not saying it actually sucks but they said it was unimpressive during interviews. Does that mean it's a bad school? No. But just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into just like any school.

Meanwhile.... a reported water bottle was spilled....

police9.jpg

I see these threads every once in a while and you nailed it right on the head. If I cared more about posting in this forum, I would've taken the time to write it out myself, but I'll just piggy-back on your reply. I can definitely speak from Bradenton campus that none of us care about the dress code. There's the occasional joke about water, that's about it. There's no terrorizing faculty or people getting expelled from school for bringing in water bottles (like everyone is making it sound in all of these threads that pop up). I don't know anything about this police force business since it concerns Erie, but if it's anything like 99% about LECOM, it's blown completely out of proportion by premeds or people who don't attend LECOM.
I have to agree. I totally loved my time in Erie (except for the weather). Had fun at the school. Professors are great and it felt like family to me.

I'm thinking with all of these lecom threads that they may purposely enforce this rules for free advertising on SDN. Anyway I go to the Erie campus. These aforementioned annoyances are slight and they beat the heck out of the annoyances in my last job.

Reactions: 5 users
I have to agree. I totally loved my time in Erie (except for the weather). Had fun at the school. Professors are great and it felt like family to me.

I'm thinking with all of these lecom threads that they may purposely enforce this rules for free advertising on SDN. Anyway I go to the Erie campus. These aforementioned annoyances are slight and they beat the heck out of the annoyances in my last job.

Sweet! An endorsement from my globetrotting FM role model and another from a current student. Thanks for weighing in. I just wanted to quote you because people like to say that no one ever says anything good about LECOM, that all they hear are the horror stories and tales of woe. I think that is because people pay more attention to the salacious than to the salutary.

It's so true that non-LECOM'ers complain more about the dress code than anything else.

You learn to cope. I wear khakis everyday. I have all my ties "pre-tied" so I can just slip them over my head.

And at Bradenton, there is just one janitor on weekdays during operational hours. Say what you want, but there's no way that single guy could clean the whole building if people were leaving wrappers all over the place.

And you can eat/drink whatever you want in the student lounge.

There are a lot of valid criticisms you could leverage against LECOM. The dress code and cleanliness of the facility are virtually the last on that list.

Reactions: 7 users
33 cops seems like a lot, but don't forget that LECOM-Erie isn't just one building. There are two campuses (main and Bayfront), there is also the huge wellness center, there is the new senior health center that's being built, which will have many tenants and be a site for certain training, and some of those cops are probably also dealing with Millcreek hospital.
They are also opening the Dental School next door not too far from now.

They are also opening the Dental School next door not too far from now.

This isn't true. They aren't opening a dental school in PA. They will have a clinical site in Erie to serve as a low income/free dental clinic but will not have a school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't true. They aren't opening a dental school in PA. They will have a clinical site in Erie to serve as a low income/free dental clinic but will not have a school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right. I assumed it was a full school based on the size of the building and cursory glances at the concept art as I left the building.

I really don't understand why people are so appalled when clearly advertised rules are enforced. On interview day, they make it really clear that the reason the campus is so nice and clean is that they don't allow eating and drinking outside the cafeteria. That you are expected to dress like a professional adult from 8am-5:30pm on campus. That you are expected to attend lectures if you chose the lecture-based learning pathway.

It isn't as if they hide any of this. Why is it so hard for people to hold up their end of the bargains that they make?
Lol sounds like a nightmare of a school. You really have to be in a suit everyday and mandatory lecture?

With rules like that I can definitely see the congruence of a mini police state.

Lol sounds like a nightmare of a school. You really have to be in a suit everyday and mandatory lecture?

With rules like that I can definitely see the congruence of a mini police state.

No. If you choose the lecture pathway, you are mandated to go to lecture. Because you chose that, with full understanding of the rules. If you chose the PBL or independent study pathways, you are only required to come to school for labs and exams and PBL sessions. So, when you are presented with options, and you pick one, and then whine about what you got, that isn't a nightmare, except for the people who have to tolerate your immaturity.

And students don't have to wear a suit. During business hours, everyone is expected to dress professionally, which for men means a dress shirt and tie. Many guys wear khakis rather than dress pants. You know, basically what they will wear to clinic or on rounds for the rest of their careers. After hours, students dress more casually.

If you apply hyperbolic descriptions, you can make anything sound worse than it is.

EDIT: And speaking of hyperbole: Using the term "police state" to describe a medical school, even if it did have draconian rules, cheapens the words. Actual people are deprived of human rights and basic freedoms, and are tortured, imprisoned unjustly, and even killed in what is properly called a police state. Being asked to put on a tie and sit in a comfortable lecture hall that you sacrificed so much in order to be permitted to attend--that isn't an atrocity. It doesn't begin to compare except in the minds of the most sheltered and entitled. I'm not putting you in that group. I'm just saying that you aren't very careful with your words, unless you choose to double down on the mistake by defending it.

Last edited:
No. If you choose the lecture pathway, you are mandated to go to lecture. Because you chose that, with full understanding of the rules. If you chose the PBL or independent study pathways, you are only required to come to school for labs and exams and PBL sessions. So, when you are presented with options, and you pick one, and then whine about what you got, that isn't a nightmare, except for the people who have to tolerate your immaturity.

And students don't have to wear a suit. During business hours, everyone is expected to dress professionally, which for men means a dress shirt and tie. Many guys wear khakis rather than dress pants. You know, basically what they will wear to clinic or on rounds for the rest of their careers. After hours, students dress more casually.

If you apply hyperbolic descriptions, you can make anything sound worse than it is.

EDIT: And speaking of hyperbole: Using the term "police state" to describe a medical school, even if it did have draconian rules, cheapens the words. Actual people are deprived of human rights and basic freedoms, and are tortured, imprisoned unjustly, and even killed in what is properly called a police state. Being asked to put on a tie and sit in a comfortable lecture hall that you sacrificed so much in order to be permitted to attend--that isn't an atrocity. It doesn't begin to compare except in the minds of the most sheltered and entitled. I'm not putting you in that group. I'm just saying that you aren't very careful with your words, unless you choose to double down on the mistake by defending it.
Shut up
Obvious you are a premed w time for brainless replies like this

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but my experience is vastly different from what has been posted on this website. For the most part the dress code is a non-issue. It's pretty lax for females and most guys couldn't care less about putting on a tie in the morning. The staff is mostly friendly to the students (even the cops). It's almost a joke what is said on SDN vs. the reality that most of us experience. Like I previously said I can't speak for everyone, and I am sure like all places (colleges, jobs, etc) there are some unhappy people out there, but I don't think that represents the majority of the students at LECOM.

Guess my surmise about your maturity level wasn't wrong.

What is it with you thinking you are more mature than everyone else. You sound like the 5th grader at recess arguing with the 2nd graders. You might be chronologically older but acting like a little kid doesn't help build your case that EVERYONE ELSE is immature.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall your first week in med school just to see the reality check you're about to get.