LECOM Post-bac 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they send the rejection/acceptance by e-mail? My application says they have made a decision and I will receive it by mail... not sure if it means I got accepted or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they send the rejection/acceptance by e-mail? My application says they have made a decision and I will receive it by mail... not sure if it means I got accepted or not.

When did yours update from under review?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to guesstimate, I would say it took around 1 week for it to change status.

mine just changed to under review a couple of days ago, however i'm still waiting on a meeting with one of my professors to send a letter of recommendation...so i don't expect mine to change anytime soon...

Can anyone comment if they received acceptance/rejection letters through e-mail or snail mail?

Did you hear back yet? My status just changed to 'under review' yesterday and today it said a decision was already made. I'm a little worried. Hopefully it's good news but the quick status changes have me thinking otherwise.

Did you hear back yet? My status just changed to 'under review' yesterday and today it said a decision was already made. I'm a little worried. Hopefully it's good news but the quick status changes have me thinking otherwise.

Have to hope for the best :) People have said it takes about a week or two to get the mail so hopefully I will hear from them by the end of the week.

Good luck to you!

Did the people that got accepted get interviewed? Because I didn't get no interview.

There is no interview for Postbac acceptance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Hey guys, I am a recent "success story" of the LECOM Post Bacc (2011-2012), so if you have any questions of me (living situations, workload, how the process works, etc.) feel free to contact me via private message.

For the record, my GPA was a 3.1 and I had a 25 MCAT. If you are under their required 23, you can still get in, but you will have to take the MCAT over the course of the year.

For those who do get in, its as black and white as they say. get the 23. get a 3.0. you are in. you do take a formal medical school interview, but it is highly a formality

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kellen,

Thanks for some straight answers! Do the students in the MBS program get the same deal as the post-bacc program students?

No problem, Chayo

The site is extremely unclear on the division between the Post-Bacc and MBS program, but from what I know of the MBS program, most students in that were Post-Bacc students that did not make the requirements one way or another (Missed the 3.0 or did not make the MCAT score).

As you see on the site, year 1 of the masters program looks very similar to the Post Bacc Program (minus some research geared classes), because they are virtually the same program for that first year.

I guess the best way to explain it is in a scenario:
If you make the grades as a Post Bacc - you are in. simple!
If you do not make the grades (just shy of a 3.0, or failed a class), you can either leave the school with a certificate, or request to enter the masters program. In this scenario, you do not have the same deal as the Post Bacc students, and you can turn that one year into a 2 year masters!

BUT I was in that danger zone of possibly not making the 3.0, so I talked it over with my advisor. She said if you do not succeed in the post bacc, it is a GREAT idea to join the Masters. Although the masters is not a guaranteed acceptance, if you do not piss any teachers off, maybe get a letter from one of them, and show you have a drive to succeed, it is easy to get in from the masters!

So, with my long winded message over (haha), Masters is not a guarantee, but you still have a HIGH chance of getting in. Ill even go far as to saying 90-95% of masters students get into the medical school without any problems!

Hope this helps!

Hey everyone! Sorry this is off-topic but just committed to the program and now looking for a roommate(s). Female, 22yrs old, from NY. So if any ladies are interested, PM me and we can chat. Excited to meet everyone so soon! :)

Join the fbook group I think there were people looking for roommates posting in there

Just withdrew, good luck everyone!!

Hello all, I am thinking of applying for this program for the 2013-2014 school year. What are the competitive stats to get into the program? I have a 3.5-3.6 gpa science and cumulative and a 23Q Mcat. Thanks!

Hello all, I am thinking of applying for this program for the 2013-2014 school year. What are the competitive stats to get into the program? I have a 3.5-3.6 gpa science and cumulative and a 23Q Mcat. Thanks!

Save your money and get a better MCAT. With that GPA you don't really have a need for this program.

Either way, those stats will get you in as is, IMO.

Thanks! yeah gonna be retaking but just wanted to have a back up in hand just in case

How are you guys checking your status updates? I'm a little confuse because I was emailed saying I am currently waitlisted and updates will be sent out in a week or two.

Would a post bacc at an osteopathic school, specifically LECOM, use the osteopathic approach to calculating an individual's GPA for a post bacc program (grade replacement/no math in science GPA) or is the approach similar to an allopathic GPA calculation (average of retaken classes/math in science GPA)? Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything? My status still says under review :( I wanna know already!!!!

Would a post bacc at an osteopathic school, specifically LECOM, use the osteopathic approach to calculating an individual's GPA for a post bacc program (grade replacement/no math in science GPA) or is the approach similar to an allopathic GPA calculation (average of retaken classes/math in science GPA)? Thanks!

Call and/or email the schools specifically and you will get the straight dope.

A lot of us have. The facebook group has 45 members. I was accepted back in February.

I sent my application later like in the end of June... I hope there is still room for me!!! I hate this waitin game it has me all stressed out lol

I checked my app status today and it states "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." my fingers crossed, hopefully its an acceptance :)

I checked my app status today and it states "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." my fingers crossed, hopefully its an acceptance :)

Have you heard anything? Mine days the same so I'm still waiting I'm so nervous!!!!

among everyone that got in recently with a late application, anyone willing to share statistics? I applied early July and my application is still under review. I called admissions and they said decision will be made real soon maybe today or early next week. I was wondering if I had any chances this late in the cycle. If not I need to accept admission to another postbacc program I got into. My stats were cGPA 3.2 sGPA 2.7... MCAT 28R

Any info would be appreciated. thanks

I applied the first week of July, and I got my acceptance a couple of weeks later. My stats were similar to yours. I know waiting can be nerve-wrecking, but hopefully this week you will hear something.
Good luck!

Ya thanks! I just hope the seats aren't already filled.

Hey everyone. Not sure if this thread is still active or not, but I have some questions regarding the science GPA..is it categorized like AACOMAS? I decided to withdraw from this cycle and just apply for post bacs instead (did not feel good about my Sept MCAT). My AACOMAS scigpa is a 3.15 but since I'm suppose to send the transcript directly to LECOM, I'm a bit nervous on how they are going to categorized my science classes. I had several pharmacy technology courses and some physio psych courses (not sure how LECOM will classify them). Thanks for the time :)

Hey everyone. Not sure if this thread is still active or not, but I have some questions regarding the science GPA..is it categorized like AACOMAS? I decided to withdraw from this cycle and just apply for post bacs instead (did not feel good about my Sept MCAT). My AACOMAS scigpa is a 3.15 but since I'm suppose to send the transcript directly to LECOM, I'm a bit nervous on how they are going to categorized my science classes. I had several pharmacy technology courses and some physio psych courses (not sure how LECOM will classify them). Thanks for the time :)

Ask Jamie Murphy, the admissions counselor, if you'd like to know.
[email protected]

Here are the listed entrance requirements:
  1. Possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
  2. Applicants are required to submit one letter from a science professor or a science-related employer;
  3. Complete 8 semester hours with at least a 2.7 grade point average in each of the following: general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and general physics with labs;
  4. Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 on a four-point scale; and
  5. Provide scores from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). A minimum MCAT score of 23 is recommended. Test results must be within three years of the application year.
http://lecom.edu/entrance-requireme...ureate-Entrance-Requirements/49/2205/619/2435

It is too late to apply for LECOM postbacc if I want to start in Fall 2013?..When is the deadline?

Apps start in January 2013 for Fall 2013 enrollment

Hey folks,

I am applying for Fall 2013 in January but like many of you I have done a few retakes.

Anyway, have been emailing Jamie back and forth to get some straight answers on the issue of retakes. The responses I got were...

"We average the grades for the Post bac program" and "For each individual grade it must be a C or better for us to count the credits".

So while they average the grades, it seems like they may only average grades of C and better. I am not really sure. These two statements seem contradictory when viewed in context of my actual questions asked. I have elaborated in my reply email to nail this issue down once and for all.

I also asked how they handle retakes if the course was different credits or taken at the same or different schools. Seems odd but at my school, the retake averages in to the GPA while the original does not though it is still on the transcript. So does LECOM only calculate the retake at that school? I also asked what if they were worth different credits (if retakes at different schools).

Just from my few emails, I am not certain exactly how they calculate. Something seems off. When I get an answer back, I will make sure to post it here so we finally have a firm answer.

DU

Complete 8 semester hours with at least a 2.7 grade point average in each of
the following: general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and
general physics with labs;

does this mean that you must have a B- minimum for every single of the classes mentioned above? i assume lecom would refuse to take my C+ in physics. moreoever, if i do get past this to get into the post bacc, they may hold it against me if i try to link into the school despite a strong performance in the program?

does this mean that you must have a B- minimum for every single of the classes mentioned above? i assume lecom would refuse to take my C+ in physics. moreoever, if i do get past this to get into the post bacc, they may hold it against me if i try to link into the school despite a strong performance in the program?

The bottom line is the whole LECOM post-bac thing is rather confusing and unclear. And it also seems strange that a post-bac program wouldn't be more willing to take C grades seeing as the purpose is to give those without the best stats a chance at medical school and a lot of those students would likely have a C grade here or there.

Glad to know I am not the only one confused by all this.

I got into the program with Cs in some of my classes so I would not worry too much about that. They won't hold your undergrad gpa against you. The program is set up so that as long as you have a 3.0 in the program AND have a 23 on the MCAT, you are almost guaranteed a spot in the medical school

This post-bacc is so confusing. I was wondering if I have to take the MCAT before applying, or before finishing the post-bacc program? Also do you need a GPA of 2.7 in each one of the pre-req classes? Or cumulative GPA of those classes combined? Is there anyway we can find these answers out definitively?

This post-bacc is so confusing. I was wondering if I have to take the MCAT before applying, or before finishing the post-bacc program? Also do you need a GPA of 2.7 in each one of the pre-req classes? Or cumulative GPA of those classes combined? Is there anyway we can find these answers out definitively?

Contact the program directly and you will have the straight dope for all your questions.

I got into the program with Cs in some of my classes so I would not worry too much about that. They won't hold your undergrad gpa against you. The program is set up so that as long as you have a 3.0 in the program AND have a 23 on the MCAT, you are almost guaranteed a spot in the medical school

thanks for sharing the info. does the linkage work for students who apply during the summer before starting the post bacc in the fall? that'd avoid a gap year. what is the class size? if i am accepted in the spring, i'll discuss these in detail with the folks at lecom but it is nice to get an idea here at sdn. thanks again!

thanks for sharing the info. does the linkage work for students who apply during the summer before starting the post bacc in the fall? that'd avoid a gap year. what is the class size? if i am accepted in the spring, i'll discuss these in detail with the folks at lecom but it is nice to get an idea here at sdn. thanks again!

Yes, you can avoid a gap year.

Hey guys, quick question:

Someone mentioned that as long as you have above a 3.0 gpa and 23 MCAT in the postbacc program, you have a pretty good chance of getting into lecom. My question is, let's say I took the MCAT in september of 2010 and I got a 28. That should be a fair enough MCAT score to get into the program right? But would I need to retake the MCAT again prior to matriculating to the DO program since it would be past 3 years?
Hopefully you guys get what I'm asking, thanks!