Lecom post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone!
This may sound like a silly question... but which LECOM program do I want to apply to if I need an accademic enhancer program, and have taken my MCATs?

The website gives me the impression that the BMS program is the one i want to apply to... but the requirements list things such as GRE scores and 2 LORs...

The Health Sciences Post-Bac Certificate program gives me the impression that its tailored to non-trad students with a non-science background, but lists MCAT scores and one committee LOR for its requirements...

so, which program do i want?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently applied for the post-bac (complete about 1.5 weeks ago).

Anyone have a good guesstimate of a time-frame on how long out before admissions/rejections to and from the program are sent out?

I'm hoping really hard to get in this program. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is not much of an estimate...it is anyone's guess. Anyone accepted have any information, such as start date?

I think the classes start Sept 7th or 8th, not sure.

Has anyone received financial aid packet, roomate list, anything else that we are suppose to be getting in mail yet?

I think the classes start Sept 7th or 8th, not sure.

Has anyone received financial aid packet, roomate list, anything else that we are suppose to be getting in mail yet?
no

Maltriculation packet came attached in e-mail. Nice to see a post labor day start.

I recently applied for the post-bac (complete about 1.5 weeks ago).

Anyone have a good guesstimate of a time-frame on how long out before admissions/rejections to and from the program are sent out?

I'm hoping really hard to get in this program. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I finally heard from Tom Ross yesterday.

My application goes to committee this week!

I'm on pins and needles...:confused:

Well, my status was finally updated today to

"The admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive a letter notifying you of your status within the next 30 days."

Anyone out there know if this is a 'good' change or a 'bad' change in status...and/or how long it usually takes before your letter gets sent out?

Anxiously waiting....:scared:

OlyWA

Well, my status was finally updated today to

"The admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive a letter notifying you of your status within the next 30 days."

Anyone out there know if this is a 'good' change or a 'bad' change in status...and/or how long it usually takes before your letter gets sent out?

Anxiously waiting....:scared:

OlyWA
The status change is no indicator of acceptance/denial. If you are on the west coast, then one week is usual mailing time. I would not be to worried.

Best,
1cor1557

I'm new around here! But I was just notified today that I was accepted to the post bac program for this Fall! YAY

anyone have any info on the area and where to live? I'm in Florida, so this is going to be a biiiiig change from the Sunshine State :D

I'm new around here! But I was just notified today that I was accepted to the post bac program for this Fall! YAY

anyone have any info on the area and where to live? I'm in Florida, so this is going to be a biiiiig change from the Sunshine State :D
http://www.rentalguideerie.com/

You would ideally want Millcreek, which is closest to school/safest. If that is not important you can find something further away for cheaper.

Safe is definitely an important factor! Another thing is I have a dog. My parents are saying they don't want me to leave him here and I'd want to take him, but if it makes it difficult to find a place I guess I don't have a choice.

He's already lived in an apartment with me and he was no problem.

Also, where do most of the students live? I would like an area that houses mostly students.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am student that has applied back in may... and am waiting to hear back from Mr. Ross... do any of you guys know the perks of the program? I have heard that you have an interview if you keep a 3.0 is this true? Also are a majority of you guys retaking the mcats?

Just got off the phone with Tom Ross and....

OlyWA is going to Erie in September!!!

:D:):D:):D:):D

I spent the day today searching for apartments near LECOM and it seems like Erie is not as pet-friendly as I had hoped. I really like all the properties developed my Maleno, specifically Lake View. BUT they are a pet-free community.

Anyone here going in this Fall know of any large dog friendly places? I have a GSD and he has lived in an apartment with me for a year and he was not a problem.

I spent the day today searching for apartments near LECOM and it seems like Erie is not as pet-friendly as I had hoped. I really like all the properties developed my Maleno, specifically Lake View. BUT they are a pet-free community.

Anyone here going in this Fall know of any large dog friendly places? I have a GSD and he has lived in an apartment with me for a year and he was not a problem.

Try Landmark Square Apartment, it allows pets but I don't know how nice it is. I'm looking into Scenery Hills and Lake View. Goodluck apartment hunting, will see you in september.

Try Landmark Square Apartment, it allows pets but I don't know how nice it is. I'm looking into Scenery Hills and Lake View. Goodluck apartment hunting, will see you in september.

Yeah I was checking them out, but they have a weight limit; 35 lbs or less. My dog is 70 lbs so it's not gonna be easier to get around that one, lol.

So far it's looking bleak as far as bringing my dog with me is concerned. My parents don't want me to leave him here and I feel much safer with him around.

I would really like to lease at Lake View. It looks very, very nice and the fact that they have an attached garage AND they have snow removal service included makes them a winner! I'm from Florida, so shoveling snow is something I want to avoid at all costs :laugh:

did you re-submit your material? They said they never recieved mine and i sent it in a while ago. They said they didn't receive anything including my transcript, etc.

did you re-submit your material? They said they never recieved mine and i sent it in a while ago. They said they didn't receive anything including my transcript, etc.

what do you mean? you sent LECOM the paper application and they never received it???

Hey guys! just got the acceptance letter today and was wondering if anyone has received any info on financial aid? Also does anyone know when the roommate list will be sent out? Thanks!

I called the financial aid office yesterday, they said they haven't processed any postbac stuff yet. For now, just get your fafsa and authorization and consent form in to them. It will be processed in a few weeks...

Hey guys! just got the acceptance letter today and was wondering if anyone has received any info on financial aid? Also does anyone know when the roommate list will be sent out? Thanks!

As far as the 'roommate' list...I'm not thinking we're gonna see it for about a month or so. This is based on the assumption that they aren't gonna send out a class roster until after the app deadline and after all the acceptances are sent out. I'd guess around the 1st of August at the earliest.

I wonder if we'd be better off creating a facebook and/or myspace group for those of us that are heading to the postbac?

OlyWA

Hey everyone! I just received my acceptance into LECOM post bac. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the class size is.

I'm really excited! See you all there in September!!:D

Also anybody looking for a roommate PM me. I'll be moving from Iowa.

I wonder if we'd be better off creating a facebook and/or myspace group for those of us that are heading to the postbac?
OlyWA

Looks like someone already set up a facebook group for 2009 Post bac

"Looks like someone already set up a facebook group for 2009 Post bac"

Ok peoples...let's join the group. There's got to be more than 4 of us...doesn't there???

Hey guys,
I did create a the facebook group, i thought we could get a jump start on things! I am thinking there have to be more then 6 of us.

Hey everyone! I just received my acceptance into LECOM post bac. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the class size is.

I'm really excited! See you all there in September!!:D

Also anybody looking for a roommate PM me. I'll be moving from Iowa.

The class size is supposed to be 65. Can't wait till classes start!

Hey I am student that has applied back in may... and am waiting to hear back from Mr. Ross... do any of you guys know the perks of the program? I have heard that you have an interview if you keep a 3.0 is this true? Also are a majority of you guys retaking the mcats?

That is correct. You are pretty much guaranteed an interview at LECOM if you have a 3.0 (and generally they look mainly at the first semester) and a decent MCAT. I do know people that got in with a 25 MCAT, but they recommend retaking it if you have the time to study. Bottom line, work as hard as you can that first semester and get a 4.0 and you should be fine.

That is correct. You are pretty much guaranteed an interview at LECOM if you have a 3.0 (and generally they look mainly at the first semester) and a decent MCAT. I do know people that got in with a 25 MCAT, but they recommend retaking it if you have the time to study. Bottom line, work as hard as you can that first semester and get a 4.0 and you should be fine.

Hi pianoman, do most people in the post-bac have MCATs higher than 25? I'm trying to decide if I should retake the MCAT this summer as I have a 24...

Is anyone else re-taking the MCAT even though they have a higher score than the recommended 22?

Hi pianoman, do most people in the post-bac have MCATs higher than 25? I'm trying to decide if I should retake the MCAT this summer as I have a 24...

Is anyone else re-taking the MCAT even though they have a higher score than the recommended 22?

I'm not taking it again. I've taken it 4 times and the last one I took was a 23 and that's where I'm staying. I would be afraid to risk doing worse :( but that's just me.

Many people in the post bac program are actually there because they have low MCAT scores. Some choose not to retake, kick butt with classes and still get in. Others use the science courses in post-bac to brush up on the bio and some of the physical science sections and retake it while in postbac. If you have the time now to study that's great, but everyone who retook it while in postbac said that having all the science courses really helped them (most took it in december/january during the semester break).

does anyone know how long it takes for them to send the packet with all the information after you send in the signed letter of acceptance?

Also, does anyone know when orientation is? I want to make travel arrangements with enough time and find a good deal.

Hey guys, I just got the call from Tom Ross that I was accepted in the post bacc program (I'm waitlisted for several D.O. schools but chances are slim). I haven't posted before so just wanted to say that I'm excited! I could never find any concrete statistics about acceptance rate to med school after this program but what I've heard sounds promising.

Time to start looking for apartments...anyone looking for a roommate?

does anyone know how long it takes for them to send the packet with all the information after you send in the signed letter of acceptance?

Also, does anyone know when orientation is? I want to make travel arrangements with enough time and find a good deal.

Dont know about the packet but I was told orientation is September 8th and the building where the classes are going to be held is about 10 minutes from the main campus.

Oh and of course I've joined the facebook group! I would have assumed that the class was more local but looks like everyone is from all over the country..awesome :p

Hey guys, I just got the call from Tom Ross that I was accepted in the post bacc program (I'm waitlisted for several D.O. schools but chances are slim). I haven't posted before so just wanted to say that I'm excited! I could never find any concrete statistics about acceptance rate to med school after this program but what I've heard sounds promising.

Time to start looking for apartments...anyone looking for a roommate?

Dont know about the packet but I was told orientation is September 8th and the building where the classes are going to be held is about 10 minutes from the main campus.

I'm confused, so orientation is on the first day of class?? And the building is not on the same LECOM campus? Does anyone know the address? I don't want to get an apartment near the LECOM and then have to drive a little further...

I'm confused, so orientation is on the first day of class?? And the building is not on the same LECOM campus? Does anyone know the address? I don't want to get an apartment near the LECOM and then have to drive a little further...

...well of course I could be wrong but yea that's what I thought Tom Ross said... The classes are going to be held in a bay front building that they bought last year...looks like it's about 10 min (4 miles) from the main building...ahh the power of google!

Does anyone know if our classes are taught by the med school professors?

The school actually has a publication giving post bac class profile data of years past with exact numbers of where students ended up after. It is in the form of a .pdf file and somewhere on SDN/google. I had a tough time pulling it up quickly but it is out there. Having seen the numbers before accepting a place in the program, the least I can say is they do a good job of placing post bac students in their medical program.

Last edited:
If anyone has any questions about apartments, events, the area in general, or even the school, I may be able to help. I have lived in the area most of my life and went to the Postbac program back in 06-07. Just reply back :)

Hi, I am planning to apply for LECOM's post bacc program for next year and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with the personal essay section. I applied this year and was rejected. I don't know if it was because of my grades/mcat score or because of personal statement (which is always my weakness). Also, to those who have gotten in, is anyone pre-pharm? and also, do you mind giving me your stats to give me an idea as to where I stand. Thanks everyone!

The school actually has a publication giving post bac class profile data of years past with exact numbers of where students ended up after. It is in the form of a .pdf file and somewhere on SDN/google. I had a tough time pulling it up quickly but it is out there. Having seen the numbers before accepting a place in the program, the least I can say is they do a good job of placing post bac students in their medical program.

Hey thanks for that info, but I'm still unable to find that file, I've done all sorts of google searches...do you know have a direct link by any chance? If not can you comment on what the numbers that you saw were like, roughly. I'm going to the program regardless as I like the school and the city, but still nice to have an idea of your chances.

Do you mind sharing your mcat score and gpa kpeysin?

see private message with info =)

While I am not sure if such a file still exists, more than 50% of my post-bac class (2007-2008) got in to med school. About half got in to LECOM-E or LECOM-B. Other schools were PCOM and WVCOM.

The year I did it we had classes in the evening 5:00-8:00pm on the main campus. Last year they were earlier, 2:30-5:30 pm at the bayfront building (located near the lake more downtown - about 10-15 minutes from the main campus). I don't know this year what they are doing since they have both the masters program and the certificate program.

hey kpeysin...were u calling tom and then he called you back and updated you with your status or did he just call you? i applied recently and my status says that they made a decision and i will get a letter. so just waiting for that.

While I am not sure if such a file still exists, more than 50% of my post-bac class (2007-2008) got in to med school. About half got in to LECOM-E or LECOM-B. Other schools were PCOM and WVCOM.

The year I did it we had classes in the evening 5:00-8:00pm on the main campus. Last year they were earlier, 2:30-5:30 pm at the bayfront building (located near the lake more downtown - about 10-15 minutes from the main campus). I don't know this year what they are doing since they have both the masters program and the certificate program.

Thanks for the reply, still 50% is a fairly low number...I read somewhere that one of the years LECOM didn't reserve enough seats for the post-bacc students so less got in than usual/were supposed to...do you know anything about that?

hey kpeysin...were u calling tom and then he called you back and updated you with your status or did he just call you? i applied recently and my status says that they made a decision and i will get a letter. so just waiting for that.

Well, I called because it said on the portal that I was missing some documents that I had previously been told that I had and as a sidenote(or so I made it seem haha) I asked if the decision that had been made could be revealed to me. Tom was very nice about it, he told me that he had not received the letters yet but once they were on his desk he could give me a call with the decision if i wanted it..of course I did...and he called me a few hours later. Hope that helps!

Still need an apt...I see some options but its so hard to commit to something without seeing it or meeting the people :cool: