LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks dr. cuttle

I see you have been accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats please??

I have only applied to two schools for now touro masters and lecom for postbac. I am not sure how is it gonna work out. Does anyone have more info on erie? The only thing I know is that it snows like crazy !!! Any idea on student life since I will be moving there? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Start on page one of this thread as well as search for 2009-2010 thread...lots of information there.

My husband is a first year at lecom erie and I remember how nerve racking it was to move a family to a completely new place. If any of y'all are moving with a family and have questions about housing, financial assistance, or just want someone to introduce you around, let me know. We have an amazing group of "lecom widows" here to support each other in this journey. Send me an email at [email protected] if you need anything

Members don't see this ad :)
@MedWife87 Thank you so much for your gracious offer! I'm sure that as the time to move there and get things finalized comes around I will certainly be contacting you for some insight! :)

How is everyone doing? The board has been pretty inactive!

Any new acceptances?

Still waiting for a response. How long do they take?

Still waiting for a response. How long do they take?

It can take up to 4 weeks once the status changes from 'under review' to 'decision has been made' before you get a letter with a decision. Until it changes, I'm not sure how long it'll take

Good luck!

thanks dr. cuttle

I see you have been accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats please??

I have only applied to two schools for now touro masters and lecom for postbac. I am not sure how is it gonna work out. Does anyone have more info on erie? The only thing I know is that it snows like crazy !!! Any idea on student life since I will be moving there? thanks

Hey,

I'm going to Erie this Friday to meet with admissions and check out the campus. Anything you'd like to know? I can find out what I can while I'm there.

Hey,

I'm going to Erie this Friday to meet with admissions and check out the campus. Anything you'd like to know? I can find out what I can while I'm there.

Hi,

I just have few questions. How would the post-bach tuition will be covered ... are there loans/ grants or will we be now considered as graduate students and so graduate loans etc.
Secondly, about housing ... which housing complex are safe, clean .. where most of the students live ... etc

I know they will answer these questions once you get accepted but since you are going I was just curious if you find out.

Goodluck on your trip. I was planning on visiting too but it's a 7 hr drive :/

Hi,

I just have few questions. How would the post-bach tuition will be covered ... are there loans/ grants or will we be now considered as graduate students and so graduate loans etc.
Secondly, about housing ... which housing complex are safe, clean .. where most of the students live ... etc

I know they will answer these questions once you get accepted but since you are going I was just curious if you find out.

Goodluck on your trip. I was planning on visiting too but it's a 7 hr drive :/

Sounds good. I'll let you know what I find out. Thankfully, it's only a 3 hour drive for me.

Is it too late to apply to this program?

Thanks!

Good luck on your trip!

Mine is also a 7hr drive so I don't think I'll be heading up there until summer to pick at an apartment. I hope there are some nice apartments nearby the Post-bac campus!

I'd have to second with the financial aid information and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi drcuttle fish! I'm interested in applying next year but honestly I'm scared of the mcat. I was wondering if you could share how you prepared for it? Thank you !

Quick question, is it too late to apply to this program today?
Thanks

Portal just changed to you will receive a letter in 30 days.... Hopefully good news

Portal just changed to you will receive a letter in 30 days.... Hopefully good news

ahh, mine just changed too (thanks for posting this as it made me check). Now I can't remember whether I put my permanent back home address or college addy. :confused:

just checked ..."
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.: dammm those 30 days

btw, I don't understand why they won't tell you whether you are accepted or denied on portal.

Last edited:
Haha yeah and 30 days to receive a letter? What are they using horseback carriers? Haha. Hope it's good news for everyone.

Howdy y'all

So I went to visit LECOM today. Nice campus, a bit spread out though. For the Post-bac classes, we're out at Bayfront. It can be a bit difficult to find, but it's really nice over there. Address is 1 LECOM place. It's about 10 minutes from the main campus. The fitness and wellness center is next to Millcreek hospital. Everything is about 5-10 minutes away from each other. Erie itself is pretty nice. There's a ton of retail shops and restaurants near campus and prices are very reasonable. Plus, there's a Wegmans in the area, for anyone not from the Northeast, you'll understand why this is a huge positive when you get to Erie.

Overall, the facilities are pretty decent, everything is grey, but it all looks pretty new. Lecture halls are nice. Great cadaver lab too. Now this is the med school (main campus) I didn't get a chance to get into the bayfront building but according to the students I talked to, bayfront is nicer than main campus. The med students I ran into there all seem pretty happy. Security is tight and the dress code is enforced.

Housing: Most people live in the apartments around the main campus. However, it can be hard to get since there's a limited number, however, they are building new apartments as we speak. I talked to Jamie and he says that with the post-bac being over at bayfront, it might be easier to get wait listed for the apartments near main campus and getting a place out by bayfront. However, if you can nab one near main campus, I'd go for it, that's what I plan on doing. I drove around the bayfront campus and all I could find was a senior living home...

Financial Aid: We would fall under the graduate category. I think that means we can get a 20,000 stafford loan from the gov't, not entirely sure, I'll let you guys know if I find out anything on this.

Now the important part, what does the post-bac mean in terms of med school. We take courses taught by the med school professors. Everyone who does not fail a class during the fall semester will be offered an interview regardless of GPA and MCAT. That being said, only those who have a 3.0 or better and a MCAT of 23 or better after the Spring semester will be given spots in the med school. So if you are below a 3.0 after Fall, you will get an interview and a conditional acceptance. You MUST have a 3.0 gpa and a 23 or better MCAT at the end of the post-bac in order to be accepted to the med school, if not, you will not be accepted into the program.

Also, those who are applying soon, get it done sooner than later. I think they stop accepting around August 1st and start finalizing who is in the class then. Class size is usually around 50 people, last years was 70, but it shouldn't be that big again this year.

Overall, I liked LECOM. It seems like a good place to study and learn. Library and buildings close around 11pm/midnight, but most med schools are like that. Jamie also talked about the different pathways of med school and how the med school is run.

Oh and FYI, LECOM is not Mac friendly. They recommend getting a PC, LECOM portal works on macs, but there is no IT support at LECOM for macs

Let me know if you guys have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your thorough investigation. It must have been great to actuallly be there to see it all. Wegman's is definitely a plus! I can attest to that having lived in NY State for the last couple of decades! I am applying directly into the med school for 2013, but if not admitted I will be applying to the post-bacc as well for next year. I hope you will continue to post of your post-bacc experience as you go through the program for those of us still in limbo! Thanks again and best of luck to you!

Crap crap crap. I feel sick. Apparently I sent in my money late and they just sent me a message saying "I received your withdraw from the program." I'm freaking out! For some reason my letter was returned to me so I re-sent it and apparently they received it late... Do you think they will still take it? I've been trying to get a hold of Jamie but his mailbox is full and doesn't seem to answer the phone. UGH. I hope they can see around this... I tried!! Does anyone else have a similar experience? I think I'm going to have a heart attack until this gets figured out.

Crap crap crap. I feel sick. Apparently I sent in my money late and they just sent me a message saying "I received your withdraw from the program." I'm freaking out! For some reason my letter was returned to me so I re-sent it and apparently they received it late... Do you think they will still take it? I've been trying to get a hold of Jamie but his mailbox is full and doesn't seem to answer the phone. UGH. I hope they can see around this... I tried!! Does anyone else have a similar experience? I think I'm going to have a heart attack until this gets figured out.

wow that's an unfortunate circumstance. I think they will still accept you considering the 'message' you received was only couple of days old. In any case, email Jamie explaining him the situation right away and then call him on monday morning.

Goodluck dr cutle fish ... hope u get in again :/:luck::xf:

Thank you! Ahhhh! Me toooo! If not maybe they will let me apply again and hopefully I can just include in the essay that I was already accepted and then ____ happened. Oh gosh.. I think my heart might explode. .... please cross your fingers for me! I already tried calling so I just shot him an email... aahhhhh!

Good luck, I hope things work out, it was only an honest mistake. Get in touch with Jamie, or give them a call first thing monday morning. When I visited and talked to Jamie that day my deposit was due. he told me that he's usually pretty lenient with the deadline. So they should be able to help you out.

Hope things work out! I'm rooting for you! Crossing my fingers!

Whoaa wait. There is a deadline to send the deposit in? How do you figure out the deadline?

Good luck, I hope things work out, it was only an honest mistake. Get in touch with Jamie, or give them a call first thing monday morning. When I visited and talked to Jamie that day my deposit was due. he told me that he's usually pretty lenient with the deadline. So they should be able to help you out.

Hope things work out! I'm rooting for you! Crossing my fingers!

Oh good! Yes it was an honest mistake and it seems like whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong! I really hope everything works out.... I already signed a lease and everything - haha!

I wouldn't worry too, too much because it was an honest mistake with the letter being returned. Also, keep in mind that the class doesn't fill up until June or July, so they obviously have already made a decision on you, which is "yes", so I'm sure you can iron it all out. Good luck! It will be okay.

You signed a lease already? Who'd you go with? I'll probably make a trip up in a few weekends to look around.

Oh good! Yes it was an honest mistake and it seems like whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong! I really hope everything works out.... I already signed a lease and everything - haha!

Good luck!

where did you end up signing a lease? I've been emailing around, but so far no one has answered me.

I forgot the name of the leasor.. but I went ahead and made the trip there to force the leasors to talk to me! I filled out some applications and found one I kind of liked so I told them to fax me the info for the lease - I guess I shouldn't have said I "signed" yet but I'm in the process!

I'm having a hard time finding a really nice place to live though... like almost everywhere I looked seemed pretty run-down. I also kind of wanted a place with a pool and clubhouse. Maybe I'm asking too much? lol

Okay my friend had an interview at LECOM the other day and said that they have mandatory gym attendance? Not a problem really - but I prefer to go running by myself outside or bike/fish/hike for exercise. I kind of hope its not true because that would "cramp my" working out "style"

Even though I probably dont have to worry about this anymore because I apparently "withdrew" :( I'm so upset. I feel like they wont believe me and I kind of have a feeling that they will have like already got rid of my information and not accept me anymore. Ugh.. I would be so heartbroken.

Ah I see, I should do that, stupid finals soon though.

Don't lose hope! Jamie said they were usually lenient with the deadline. Give them a call first thing Monday morning and I'm sure they can sort this out for you. Don't lose hope!

YAY!!! Jamie said that its okay and that I'll be put into the class again :D :D :D :D :D

I sent in my deposit after I received a similar message and Jaime was cool and took it anyway. He's really nice so don't sweat it.

I'm withdrawing my acceptance from this program, I was accepted into an M.D. linkage program similar to this one and will be going there. Hope one of you gets my spot and good luck!!!

Hey just in case you guys didn't know there is a lecom post bac fbook group up. And there is also a 2012-2013 thread now on sdn. So check them both out.

Awesome! I was wondering when someone would start those up. Can you post the link to the fb group?

Hey Everyone,

New to SDN, but I am in the process of applying to LECOM's post bacc program and I was wondering what people who have been away from undergrad for a little while did about the LOR. Did you have to contact a college professor and have him/her write a completely separate letter or could you use a letter that you were given in undergrad (i.e. one that you recieved to apply to medical school and not a post bacc)?

Also would they consider using a letter from my boss or a physician that I am doing research for currently?

Finally, do they really need to know the dates you took your ACT? Aren't we all past that stage in our academia?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ya'll!

Hey guys, I'm planning on applying to this program, but I'm taking my mcat on july 6th. Does this mean it will probably be too late for me to have a legitimate shot at getting this cycle? I have a 3.45 gpa, and trying to decide if I should just wait until next cycle and apply early.

Hey guys, I'm planning on applying to this program, but I'm taking my mcat on july 6th. Does this mean it will probably be too late for me to have a legitimate shot at getting this cycle? I have a 3.45 gpa, and trying to decide if I should just wait until next cycle and apply early.

Your MCAT will take ~1 month for the scores to come in. Classes start Sept. 5th.

With that knowledge I will leave the decision to you.

Honestly, do well on the MCAT and with that GPA you could stand a chance on getting right in to the program sans post-bac.

Whats the link to apply for this Post Bacc?

Yay!! ok so I got in and I joined the FB group.. I am waiting on two more schools for this year DO, hopefully theyll work out if not Ill see you guys in Erie :)

Can I just apply to the post-bacc directly without having filled out my AACOMAS?

Yes...but you must have MCAT scores to be accepted.