LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in the application it states that if you want to send an optional cv include only the relevant material to the application... So would that mean I should delete anything on my CV that is not relevant or just send it off as is?

Members don't see this ad.

in the application it states that if you want to send an optional cv include only the relevant material to the application... So would that mean I should delete anything on my CV that is not relevant or just send it off as is?

I sent in my resume as it is

Howdy y'all

So I went to visit LECOM today. Nice campus, a bit spread out though. For the Post-bac classes, we're out at Bayfront. It can be a bit difficult to find, but it's really nice over there. Address is 1 LECOM place. It's about 10 minutes from the main campus. The fitness and wellness center is next to Millcreek hospital. Everything is about 5-10 minutes away from each other. Erie itself is pretty nice. There's a ton of retail shops and restaurants near campus and prices are very reasonable. Plus, there's a Wegmans in the area, for anyone not from the Northeast, you'll understand why this is a huge positive when you get to Erie.

Overall, the facilities are pretty decent, everything is grey, but it all looks pretty new. Lecture halls are nice. Great cadaver lab too. Now this is the med school (main campus) I didn't get a chance to get into the bayfront building but according to the students I talked to, bayfront is nicer than main campus. The med students I ran into there all seem pretty happy. Security is tight and the dress code is enforced.

Housing: Most people live in the apartments around the main campus. However, it can be hard to get since there's a limited number, however, they are building new apartments as we speak. I talked to Jamie and he says that with the post-bac being over at bayfront, it might be easier to get wait listed for the apartments near main campus and getting a place out by bayfront. However, if you can nab one near main campus, I'd go for it, that's what I plan on doing. I drove around the bayfront campus and all I could find was a senior living home...

Financial Aid: We would fall under the graduate category. I think that means we can get a 20,000 stafford loan from the gov't, not entirely sure, I'll let you guys know if I find out anything on this.

Now the important part, what does the post-bac mean in terms of med school. We take courses taught by the med school professors. Everyone who does not fail a class during the fall semester will be offered an interview regardless of GPA and MCAT. That being said, only those who have a 3.0 or better and a MCAT of 23 or better after the Spring semester will be given spots in the med school. So if you are below a 3.0 after Fall, you will get an interview and a conditional acceptance. You MUST have a 3.0 gpa and a 23 or better MCAT at the end of the post-bac in order to be accepted to the med school, if not, you will not be accepted into the program.

Also, those who are applying soon, get it done sooner than later. I think they stop accepting around August 1st and start finalizing who is in the class then. Class size is usually around 50 people, last years was 70, but it shouldn't be that big again this year.

Overall, I liked LECOM. It seems like a good place to study and learn. Library and buildings close around 11pm/midnight, but most med schools are like that. Jamie also talked about the different pathways of med school and how the med school is run.

Oh and FYI, LECOM is not Mac friendly. They recommend getting a PC, LECOM portal works on macs, but there is no IT support at LECOM for macs

Let me know if you guys have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Hi I know this is a few years old but I'd just like to thank you GREATLY for posting the bay front campus address. I honestly couldn't find it anywhere.