LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I be worried that my application was complete yesterday and they already made a decision today. I am scared a tad bit its too quick.
No, I was complete and decided in the same day and was accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can attend another program please do.
why? Aside from the traditional LECOM rules (no water, food, professional dress code, mandatory attendance. No problem. I can do it.)

1.) LECOM only cares about money.
2.) Communication is horrible. No email replies. If a lot of students email a prof, requesting early ppt lecture posts for students to download, prof will tattle tale to the head program directer. Head program directer will mass email the class saying prof isn't required to post ppt slides early for you. If a lot of students ask the prof about the number of questions on our next exam, prof will tattle tale to the head department. Head department will mass emails students.
3.) No one cares about you. really, this is true. You walk in with a problem (personal or program related), they give you attitude and then they say "what do you want me to do about it?"
4.) They treat like you don't know sh** or know how to do sh** They make you dress like professionals, yet they treat you like you're in kindergarten.
5.) LECOM only cares about money.

Please, if you can, DO yourself a favor and go elsewhere. If you like being in an abusive relationship by all means stay and get slapped over and over again.

I'm only here as an absolute last resort since I royally screwed up my undergrad career. I'm thankful, but LECOM is my punishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
why? Aside from the traditional LECOM rules (no water, food, professional dress code, mandatory attendance. No problem. I can do it.)

2.) Communication is horrible. No email replies. If a lot of students email a prof, requesting early ppt lecture posts for students to download, prof will tattle tale to the head program directer. Head program directer will mass email the class saying prof isn't required to post ppt slides early for you. If a lot of students ask the prof about the number of questions on our next exam, prof will tattle tale to the head department. Head department will mass emails students.
3.) No one cares about you. really, this is true. You walk in with a problem (personal or program related), they give you attitude and then they say "what do you want me to do about it?"
4.) They treat like you don't know sh** or know how to do sh** They make you dress like professionals, yet they treat you like you're in kindergarten.

Please, if you can, DO yourself a favor and go elsewhere. If you like being in an abusive relationship by all means stay and get slapped over and over again.

I'm only here as an absolute last resort since I royally screwed up my undergrad career. I'm thankful, but LECOM is my punishment.

lol ok

Why so much hate? I thought all colleges are like that.

What kind of college do/did you go to? I have all but love for LECOM... I'm just being frank and letting prospective student know what they're getting themselves into.

I went to a state college and all out teachers put lecture slides after lecture and never before even if students asked. Our college dean never cared and had classes during blizzards and I am sure they did that so didnt have to refund money back to students as we had multiple snow days. Honestly I feel if LECOM gives you a chance to get yourself to fix you past mistakes it doesn't really matter how they treat you.

I come from sunny Florida so snow is fairly new to me. I guess I went to an odd school where we had lecture slide posted way ahead.
I hear what you are saying and I am thankful and for someone in my shoes LECOM is King.
The odd thing is that I know a lot of people in the program with 3.5+ undergrad GPAs with decent MCAT. There's this one guy with a 3.7 undergrad GPA and 26 MCAT. What the heck are they doing here? The program is for 2.8 - 3.2 GPA kids. It's mind boggling that they didn't just reapply and are throwing away 13 grand in tuition a + another 13 grand in living expenses to come here.

Hey guys so the condition for the guaranteed interview is that I finish the program with 3.0+ GPA but the interview is in January which is before the program is finished. So how does that work exactly? Won't I know if I get accepted to the DO program or not until the program is finished in May?

Hey guys so the condition for the guaranteed interview is that I finish the program with 3.0+ GPA but the interview is in January which is before the program is finished. So how does that work exactly? Won't I know if I get accepted to the DO program or not until the program is finished in May?

As long as you don't get a failing grade during fall semester, you'll be invited to an interview. Granted you do well in the interview, you'll receive a conditional acceptance if your GPA is at least over a 3.0. If it's well above a 3.0, you're more likely to receive a conditional acceptance sooner than other people. Some people were borderline so they may have to wait until the end of the semester to receive their letter. It's also the same for the ones who didn't make the 3.0 during fall semester.

I will reiterate this one more time to you guys; work extra hard to do well during the fall. Obviously, you'd want to do well both semesters, but the difference in receiving a letter early versus waiting until the end of the program will be heavily based on that fall semester GPA. But if I can do it, you guys can too.

Hey guys, I just applied in early march and got accepted a few weeks later. I'm waiting to hear back from the post bacc programs at 3 other schools. My biggest fears about choosing LECOM are that: 1) I've heard some pretty negative things about LECOM, and 2) I've heard the weather really sucks there. Anyone care to share their general experiences with LECOM or the weather in the lake erie area?

P.S: sorry if these questions have already been addressed. I've read some comments about these topics, but I don't feel like sifting through all 12 pages of comments

Hey guys, I just applied in early march and got accepted a few weeks later. I'm waiting to hear back from the post bacc programs at 3 other schools. My biggest fears about choosing LECOM are that: 1) I've heard some pretty negative things about LECOM, and 2) I've heard the weather really sucks there. Anyone care to share their general experiences with LECOM or the weather in the lake erie area?

P.S: sorry if these questions have already been addressed. I've read some comments about these topics, but I don't feel like sifting through all 12 pages of comments

There's lots of valuable information in the thread. I suggest you look at them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am a current post bacc student and will answer any questions you guys have about the post bacc program. I will reiterate what d13anny has said above about working hard in the program. If you work hard, you will see results. Getting a higher GPA first semester makes a big difference in terms of when you will receive your conditional acceptance. Getting a higher GPA first semester will also reduce stress and pressure of making the 3.0 requirement second semester as you will have more cushion. It is definitely attainable as long as you work hard!

Reactions: 5 users
I third what AspiringDOchick and D13anny said!!!

Got a 3.73 first semester and just breezing this semester. I could get a 2.47 and still sit over the 3.0 mark. Two C's for anatomy and pharm. "B's" for the rest and I am still safe! But of course not recommended :)

So work hard first semester, do well in the interview, and breeze through second semester... Then wait for July to start MS1!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I'll answer your questions since I don't want to study at the moment.

I don't really have much to complain about LECOM, but I'm only one person though. Sure there are some things about LECOM that I could do without such as the food and water policy and security. There can also be a disconnect between faculty and students at times which frustrates many of us as cocobutteran pointed out. However, LECOM is giving us the chance to prove that we're ready to take on the rigors of medical/dental/pharmacy school. That's important especially since other schools aren't going to give us the time of day. The nice thing about LECOM is if you meet their requirements and your interview goes well, you will get a seat in their school. I've heard about the negative views regarding LECOM before I decided to do the post bacc program and I turned out okay. At the end of the day, everything is going to look minuscule compared to that medical school acceptance letter you'll receive.

One thing I will never get used to in Erie is snow. This year was apparently mild, but snow just sucks.

Reactions: 2 users

The weather isn't that bad, honestly you will be studying all the time so you will barely notice it and you will get used to the snow pretty quickly. Having a car with all wheel drive is best for snow but if you don't have one definitely get snow tires! I think living close to school is important in terms of being able to handle the weather and driving because my friends that lived further away from school were more affected by the weather since they had a longer commute and had to worry about the roads, etc. I was also hesitant about attending the post bacc from what I've read on SDN but I have had no problems with LECOM. I think it is important to realize LECOM is giving you a chance, something that most other places don't give, and you should be grateful for an opportunity to prove that you can handle medical school. Yes there are a lot of rules but you will get used to them quickly and I personally believe the rules are worth it if it means you will achieve your dreams of becoming a physician which would not have been possible for me without the post bacc program.

@d13anny @aspiringDOchick3
I'll answer your questions since I don't want to study at the moment.

I don't really have much to complain about LECOM, but I'm only one person though. Sure there are some things about LECOM that I could do without such as the food and water policy and security. There can also be a disconnect between faculty and students at times which frustrates many of us as cocobutteran pointed out. However, LECOM is giving us the chance to prove that we're ready to take on the rigors of medical/dental/pharmacy school. That's important especially since other schools aren't going to give us the time of day. The nice thing about LECOM is if you meet their requirements and your interview goes well, you will get a seat in their school. I've heard about the negative views regarding LECOM before I decided to do the post bacc program and I turned out okay. At the end of the day, everything is going to look minuscule compared to that medical school acceptance letter you'll receive.

One thing I will never get used to in Erie is snow. This year was apparently mild, but snow just sucks.

If you receive an A in a course during the post bac are you required to take it again during MS1? I know NOVA's MBS doesn't make you retake the classes you've received A's in, giving you a little extra study time during MS1.

@d13anny @aspiringDOchick3

If you receive an A in a course during the post bac are you required to take it again during MS1? I know NOVA's MBS doesn't make you retake the classes you've received A's in, giving you a little extra study time during MS1.

You'll still have to retake the courses. While the post bac courses can be difficult, the amount of material is a fraction of what you'll take in medical school. However, we were told that doing the post bac puts us at an advantage as ms1.

Hey @jamieneutron and @timothybkim , I'm also from NYC. How do you guys plan on getting to the campus? I've never really traveled outside of NYC and I don't have a car. I can't imagine everyone has a car. Can you get there by bus or train? If anyone else knows and can chime it would be much appreciated. :)

Hey @jamieneutron and @timothybkim , I'm also from NYC. How do you guys plan on getting to the campus? I've never really traveled outside of NYC and I don't have a car. I can't imagine everyone has a car. Can you get there by bus or train? If anyone else knows and can chime it would be much appreciated. :)

A lot of people have their own car unless they live really close to campus, but there is a bus that stops a few yards from campus.

Depending on where you live you can take Route 26/M4: East 26th/ Wal-Mart / Penn State Behrend / Millcreek Mall via Liberty St.

http://www.ride-the-e.com/routes-and-fares-2015/
http://www.ride-the-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/System-Map-June-2015.pdf

Does anyone have any idea about being accepted to other schools than LECOM after completion of the program? I'm going to apply here as backup, because I haven't been accepted yet to Med school. I applied to LECOM's DO program back in October and still haven't heard back from my secondary which was in December. I'm hoping that they are a bit faster with the post bac.

Hi guys,

For those who applied to LECOM's Post-Bacc, what MCAT scores did you generally have? I'm not sure of what score LECOM is looking for.

Thanks

Hi guys,

For those who applied to LECOM's Post-Bacc, what MCAT scores did you generally have? I'm not sure of what score LECOM is looking for.

Thanks
I applied with a 493 and was accepted, but I'll have to retake prior to matriculating into the DO program next year (because they require a 40th percentile ~497).

I have a question. For post bacc students. Do we still need to turn in an AACOMAS application to LECOM in order to start the med school after going through the post bacc or do they just use our post bacc app? like for those who just got in; are you sending in a app to there D.O school this upcoming cycle before starying the post bacc. Kinda confused here.

I have a question. For post bacc students. Do we still need to turn in an AACOMAS application to LECOM in order to start the med school after going through the post bacc or do they just use our post bacc app? like for those who just got in; are you sending in a app to there D.O school this upcoming cycle before starying the post bacc. Kinda confused here.

you have to submit your AACOMAS primaries and secondaries w/LOR. ($$).
they won't schedule your interview unless they have everything in. I know a couple of ppl who waited until January to submit primaries/secondaries and had to have their interview with the regular applicant pool in Feb, when all the post bacs had their interview in January together in a span of 2-3 days i think.

you have to submit your AACOMAS primaries and secondaries w/LOR. ($$).
they won't schedule your interview unless they have everything in. I know a couple of ppl who waited until January to submit primaries/secondaries and had to have their interview with the regular applicant pool in Feb, when all the post bacs had their interview in January together in a span of 2-3 days i think.
Do most people write a different essay for the AACOMAS app, because I basically took my post bacc essay from that. I'm wondering if I should write new one

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Do most people write a different essay for the AACOMAS app, because I basically took my post bacc essay from that. I'm wondering if I should write new one

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

edit it a bit to tailor your experience in post bac

Why so negative? You're exaggerating #1-#5.
People who come into the program with an already negative mindset will continue to have that mindset even after finishing the program and possibly even after starting medical school.

Be happy that LECOM even let you in to prove yourself. Don't be bitter and lighten up.

Is there a Facebook group yet!?!?

has anyone started looking for housing?

has anyone started looking for housing?

Yeah, basically what nasuthar said. If you call the apartments across the street (Laurel Springs, I believe?), they can even put you on the waiting list for Fall. The lady told me that we wouldn't hear anything back about openings until at least July but said that there are always at least some spots for LECOM post baccs available each cycle.

Yes I've researched those apartments and they seem convenient to campus. The only think I don't like is that they don't have covered parking. I'm bringing a car so I don't want to brush off snow off my car all the time lol.

Yes I've researched those apartments and they seem convenient to campus. The only think I don't like is that they don't have covered parking. I'm bringing a car so I don't want to brush off snow off my car all the time lol.
covered parking would be nice but it seems most of the places around campus won't provide that through my research... let us know if you can find something

Hey guys, it seems most students are pre-med...but as a pre-dental myself, would you guys recommend this program? I'm applying to other SMP/Post-baccs as well.

Just in case you or anyone else looking on the forum doesn't know the curriculum, we took 7 classes first semester: Physiology (5), Biochem(3), Cell biology(2), Microbiology (2) , Histology (1), Critical Thinking (1), Genetics (1). The numbers correspond to the credit hours.

For me, the hardest classes were Physiology and Histology. Physiology was hard because it required a lot of applying what we learned and not pure memorization. Some lectures weren't as clear so I had to rely on other sources (BRS physio is a good one). I also never took a physio course in undergrad so that didn't helped. Histology was hard because all the pictures look the same to me and the figures we're looking at can be minuscule and blurred. The rest of the classes just required time and memorization.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't really do much preparing before school starts. Just enjoy the time you have with your family and friends so you don't get burnt out during the middle of school. You'll be studying nonstop when you start so you'll have time to learn the material. I didn't prepare and I did just fine during the fall. If it's something you absolutely must do, then look over Physiology since it's the first class you start with.

Hopefully that helped. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

If you were accepted to LECOM after the post-bacc, did you have any choice in selecting which campus location you would be attending in the fall? Thanks!

Hey guys, it seems most students are pre-med...but as a pre-dental myself, would you guys recommend this program? I'm applying to other SMP/Post-baccs as well.

just an fyi for you. we have 9 pre-dentals in the program and it seems like they all are matriculating this fall.

hey if anybody on here has gone to LECOM postbacc or is in the med school, which apartment complexes/areas should we avoid? thanks!

hey if anybody on here has gone to LECOM postbacc or is in the med school, which apartment complexes/areas should we avoid? thanks!

Definitely avoid GRANADA! They'll reel you in with this "1st months free" deal type of thing. Don't be fooled! Students and long time residents will tell you the same thing about Granada.

Don't live downtown or in the one digit areas or anything with the word East in it, unless it is south of 38th street near Mercyhurst Uni/VA hospital.
Millcreek township and Belle Valley are pretty good

In general stay close to campus due to snow.