LECOM/TOURO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Alexander DeLarge, Apr 9, 1999.

1. Alexander DeLarge

Alexander DeLarge Junior Member

Advice, please.
    1] Accepted to Touro. Interviewed @ LECOM.
    Still no word from LECOM. Heard that the
    acceptances, rejections, and holds go out
    in the mail together and that they are way
    behind and only meet sporadically. Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I
    am really hoping to get into LECOM. I'm glad
    I got into Touro though as a back-up.
    2] I am 29 years old. If I accept the NAVY
    HPSP I will graduate debt free. I will do a 3-4 year residency and then work for the
    NAVY for 4 additional years. When I finally
    get out to work in private practice, I am
    suddenly 41 years old. That kind of sucks, doesn't it? But on the other hand I will be
    free of debt and have good experience. Plus
    I might want to try to do Flight Surgery.
    Really, though, I always thought I should do
    family practice. Now let's talk about money.
    You cannot deny it, it is important to consider. How soon do you think you could
    pay off school if you financed it yourself (entirely) (PRIVATE SCHOOL)? How much am I going to make as a DO in the Navy? Am I too old to do this? If I do a Navy residency, will they or can they increase my time debt to the Navy? Please opinionate.

------------------
    DeLarge

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MOXIEJEN DO 2003

Congrats on your acceptance. I did not interview at either school you named, so I am going to leave question number one alone. However, I will give my two cents on question number two. I am also 29, and I am trying to get a NHSC scholarship. Personally, to have my debts paid off, and graduate debt free is worth the service commitment to the Navy. I am scared to go to war which is why I am not taking that route. As far as being 41 in private practice, you will be 41, in private practice DEBT FREE!~ I do not know the salaries in the Navy, but I would think they would be the same as MD's. You could make some phone calls to get definite answers about that. Don't let your age be a factor, there are people who are 41 just starting med school! Sit down and figure out how much your education is going to cost you, and see how long it will take you to pay it off. I think average loan repayment is 2K a month. If you didn't have that, just think of what you could use that money for! Also, the Navy has such great benefits, and if you should decide to stay in for 20 years, the pension isn't bad either. (50% of your standard pay!)
    You wanted an opinion, so there is mine!
    Good Luck!
    jen

4. adri

adri Junior Member

i don't have any answers to your questions but, i have questions for you. i interviewed for lecom in san diego. i didn't get a great picture of the schoool. noone seems to be willing (from the school) to answer questions like what is the atmosphere of the school like? how many students transfer to other med schoools ? how helpful is the faculty? ....i would appreciate any thing you had to comment on lecom. you can email me or post it here. i would appreciate anything. email: [email protected]